Does ANYONE remember the old way to play KSP?

Yobobhi

Does anyone remember the old way to just play. You know, back when rather than berating one another for doing it wrong, the priority was simply to extract amusement/entertainment/recreation from a construct designed expressly for the purpose; if you will, a game? Sometimes these games had rules, sometimes they were made of cardboard tiles or plastic blocks, sometimes serious, sometimes silly, and sometimes they involved just pretending to have, hold and use things and talk to people who weren't there at all.

Seriously, can we stop trying to make it seem like there are right and wrong ways to play, ever?

When you realise you're facing the KSP learning wall, you:

• read a lot, study a lot, calculate a lot, practise a bit and then eventually know for sure that on paper you're going to succeed.
  • try a lot, fail a lot, develop an intuition for what works and what doesn't, practise a lot more, and eventually you know only that what you've built -might- get home but dammit if you haven't put your heart and soul into trying to make it happen
  • find the explosions hilarious and keep on gleefully blowing things up
  • something in between

@Yobobhi, I can see that u were just looking for fellow-souls rather than shooting to condescend (and even if you were frankly who gives a damn? *yawn* @ self-righteous glory-trolls). I guess my playstyle is more like what you're talking about - I'd class it in the 2nd bulletpoint above. However, I think that KSP has changed a lot since the early days when this approach was pretty straightforward. From my perspective, the default stock game is much less toy-like and much more sim-like than it used to be, which is fine and cool, but makes for a more-punishing less-seeing-the-funny-side game experience IMHO.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

It's the nature of the beast. The thrill of exploration eventually fades after you've landed on every planet and moon multiple times.

Also, now that I think about it, there really isn't any "exploring" in KSP. There's nothing out there to "find". It's one area I hope KSP improves on in future versions. You don't go to a planet to discover anything. There's nothing to discover. Your not going to find a special rock or unique object. You go there for the challenge of the mission, and to get science, but there is really nothing to explore. I mean there are the Moholes and a couple of cool canyons, but they're all common knowledge.

Edited by RocketBlam

Honestly there's no useful takeaway from your rant.

If you want a challenge and want to explore other words, install Realism Overhaul with Kscale64 and Outer Planets Mod to start with.

You'll need all the delta-V then.

There will be other planets to explore that are way far out.

Install TAC LS so that if you don't plan your exceedingly long missions correctly that there are dire consequences.  Install the near future mod that nerfs your solar panels to increase the challenge of operating that far out.  Install Remote Tech to make probes that far out more challenging.

Any number of other ways to come up with a challenge.

Everyone has different playstyles for this game.  On the spectrum of Goofy Explosions to Realism, I am much closer to realism (using everything before a planetary resize).  I get that it might seem easier because of things like Ion Engines, but the OP is assuming that all/most players will use them when they become available.  I, for example, always play career, and when I have access to Ion, I never use them.  They are too slow for my playstyle; I will use other higher TWR engines just because I can (funds permitting).  This game is really what you make of it.  NO ONE restricts your method of play (except for infini-gliders and the like).

3 hours ago, DChurchill said:

There is no right way. There is no wrong way. There is no cheating.

No!  Only the way I play is correct!  If you're not doing it exactly like I do, then you are wrong and bad and evil and wrong!

Ok so here is what happened. The originality wore off. It is the same deal with minecraft for me. I played minecraft so much, but today, I just get bored if I play it and I dont have the same feeling as I used to. You will never have the same feeling twice. AKA Nostalgia. You are longing for the past. But you can never have the past back.

This is why Im enjoying RSS/RO so much, because its new, new places to go and explore, brand new ways of doing so.

Edited by Combatsmithen

10 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

Ok so here is what happened. The originality wore off. It is the same deal with minecraft for me. I played minecraft so much, but today, I just get bored if I play it and I dont have the same feeling as I used to.

Same here. I never go to space anymore. I create mods and build stuff but career mode? Nope.

I also had the originality fade.  Without things to explore on the other worlds, there's no real reason to go to them.

So what do I do?  I fill up on mods, give myself propellers and rotors and flying things, and I fly around Kerbin.  Why?  Because I'm having more fun playing Kerbal Flight Simulator because there is some challenge to be found with it.  Flying through all the bridges around the space center is stupidly hard, but you don't have to travel more than 5 km to enjoy it.  Flying through the hangars at the old airstrip is fun, too, and more challenging, in my opinion.

Going to space would interest me more if there was something to actually do on those planets for those of us in Sandbox mode.

By the way, this happens with every single game.

When you start playing something without really knowing how A and B work, the experience is different. But with time, you learn those things and your game experience changes. When that happens, it's impossible to forget A and B and have the previous experience, leaving you with nostalgia, and in some cases, takes the fun away from the game, forcing you to stop playing.

I really miss my early KSP days.

2 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

When you start playing something without really knowing how A and B work, the experience is different. But with time, you learn those things and your game experience changes. When that happens, it's impossible to forget A and B and have the previous experience, leaving you with nostalgia, and in some cases, takes the fun away from the game, forcing you to stop playing.

I have this with every game that I enjoy as much as KSP. Any of the Fallouts, any of the Elder Scrolls. All the Mass Effects. Any game I come back to after I've worn it out.

I know what you mean, appreciating the beauty of the game, using non-efficient engines, etc. However, I got the game in 0.19, so I don't remember the palm trees. That didn't stop me from downloading 0.7.3, though. I'm not new to the game, nor do I consider myself hardcore. I do what I consider fun. Some days that is designing a Jool 5 fleet, some days it is flying a plane around, some days it's a massive Minmus base in career, some days it's building a giant interplanetary cruiser with 10km/s Delta V. There is no right or wrong way to play KSP in my opinion, just play it the way that you enjoy it. Also, I totally think they should bring back the palm trees :D.

Darn, ran out of likes.

I enjoy pretty much everyone sharing their KSP experiences here. There is always something special about a well tuned craft, or a clunky, barely flying pig someone made for fun. Dont try to rain on our parade, its already above the clouds.

On 6/14/2016 at 7:21 PM, The_Rocketeer said:

Does anyone remember the old way to just play.

Of course.  Most of us aren't complaining about whippersnappers, just remembering good times, which I see nothing wrong with.

On 3/28/2016 at 3:39 AM, Rdivine said:

The way KSP is set up is such that most experienced players can choose their own style of play without it being too ridiculous. Given the aerodynamic models and costs, experienced players now must build streamlined crafts and limit their amount of rocket boosters at the side, rather than making things like "asparagus" or big bunch of rockets tied to each other. Granted, each and every player has their own unique style of playing, but the styles aren't too bad.

Off-topic nitpick, but asparagus actually makes things smaller, by throwing away fewer perfectly good engines and hauling less dead weight with you.  It made my smallest orbital vehicle.

Of course, people are free use this strategy to build even larger yet monstrosities too :D

Edited by Corona688

13 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Yes, add that KSP has changed, especially stronger joints, better engines and the aerodynamic and heating makes accent easier. 
Everybody old timer member the old heavy launchers or strutted asparagus pyramids. 
Still I did grand tours back in 0.18-0.19 too. And its still fun to mess around, 

I have been playing for years and have yet to land on Laythe, or send a manned mission to Jool or Moho.  And I now use OPM for extra worlds (of which I've never visited).  I do this on purpose, to keep the wonder.  And taking breaks from the game for a few months helps.

To me KSP is the ultimate puzzle game (and I hate puzzle games).  The challenge to build a mission that works with the 100+ realism enhancing mods I use is the game to me.  Also running a Space Program and managing resources, money, crew, etc.  

I spend 70% of my "game" time researching RL space missions.  I've started talking like an engineer.  I still wish I was born a bit later and had discovered this game in my formative years.  I may have actually become an aerospace engineer instead of just "wishing I could be one when I was 12 and never following through".  

So yeah.  

These kinds of threads go absolutely nowhere. Putting people down for how they want to play a single player game only causes unhappiness.

Edited by AHO
grammer / spelling

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.