Best mods

DrDoomKill

It's hard to name "the best" mods, as it's a matter of taste. Some people like mods that enhance realism, some people prefer mods that reduce realism, some like parts packs, others don't care about them...

There is one mod though, on which's usefulness I'd expect most players to agree: Stock Bugfix Modules.

Another mod that's widely regarded as essential is Ferram Aerospace Research, and as of 1.X it doesn't feel like cheating any more to use it, as the dV numbers required to reach orbit are now pretty similar in stock KSP and FAR.

If you think KSP is too easy, you can try Realism Overhaul, which makes the game much more rewarding, as even "simple" tasks as reaching orbit will be a lot more challenging given a realistic scale for the planets and real-life engines. It's a quite heavy mod-collection though, meaning that you'll need a pretty fast computer, and the suggested part packs will easily drive the 32bit KSP build to the memory limits (I'm playing on Linux, and even there I had issues with Realims Overhaul, as KSP was happily asking for more than the 8 GB of RAM I have installed in my PC...).

@Lack's SXT is a great place to start.

Anything by @Nertea can generally be considered gold-plated, check his sig at the bottom of this OP.

And, of course, Realism Overhaul (the "meta-mod" of configurations for tons of other mods) will transform KSP into a pretty awesome spaceflight sim.

Edited by regex

I had the same problem as you actually, and ended up getting a bunch of mods. I deleted most of them, but the ones I kept were

Kerbal Engineer: I know that everyone thinks this mod is for superadvanced players, but it also tells you things like your eccentricity and your hottest part on your spacecraft, TWR ratio, etc.

Station Science: Basically makes orbital stations actually do stuff. You can bring up pods to do experiments, and other stuff. It's kinda complicated tho.

Module Manager: Helps makes some mods work.

IFI life support and Planetshine are cool mods also.

There's a lot of mods out there though, just keep looking. :)

Hi, I wonder if you're new to the game or just the community? Welcome, either way!

I personally only use Kerbal Engineer, mostly because I worry about overtaxing my limited laptop. I highly recommend it, too. It provides heaps of useful info as mentioned. It also has a load of information I never look at, never mind use but you might if you're a more technical rocketeer. I believe mechjeb has a lot of the same useful stuff, but it has even more functionality I'm not interested in.

Of the mods I know about but don't use, stock bug fix, docking alignment indicator, precise nodes and Kerbal Alarm Clock provide useful tools, F.A.R. looks like a brilliant update to aerodynamics (but I assume is kinda resources intensive?) and scansat also looks like a fun way to add extra gameplay. RemoteTech is another, and it would probably add coherent structure to your development, but definitely too much work and too technical for me!

Anyway, that's more than long enough. Hope you find a good collection to suit your style!

One mod I don't think I could ever live without is kerbal attachment system/ and or kerbal inventory system. KAS and KIS for short. They let you attach parts to things anywhere. You can send a kerbal up to add parts or upgrade old parts with something better. you can assemble a ship in space and then send a kerbal out to attach struts to strengthen the whole thing. One of my favorites for sure.

I also really like SCANsat for the maps it provides

Kerbal Engineer is really nice. Lots of info you can pull up about vessel and flight data.

Environmental Visual Enhancements just adds that little bit to make everything look nice. The clouds are definitely a nice feature.

I have a separate file with Interstellar Extended and I'm really liking it so far. Adds a lot to the game like fission and fusion reactors and various engines for propulsion. also adds antimatter and a warp drive. A very well done and in depth mod.

Numerous parts packs are nice if you're just looking for more variety to build with. Kerbal Aircraft Extension is cool if you like building aircrafts. I like B9 aerospace. KW Rocketry. Surface mounted lights for all your lighting needs. I think there's too many good mods to name it's all a matter of preference. I have a file with a bunch of mods in it and I haven't had a chance to try them all out yet.

I second the recommendation of Kerbal Inventory System. I installed it for my current career-mode game and it gives you a lot more flexibility with a few stored parts.

Examples:

* I found that solar panels don't really cut it around Jool, but I had already sent three biggish vessels there. Instead of sending replacements for each one (expensive), I sent a small supply ship with an engineer and a bunch of RTGs to provide power to the existing ships.

* Before I'd unlocked rovers, I could do rover-like missions on Minmus by sending an engineer with a probe core and a scientific instrument to EVA to the various sample points.

* One-use supply ships can be stripped of small radial parts like batteries, solar panels, lights, RCS blocks etc before being junked.

Awesome mod. 

Best mods?  That's very subjective.

For me...  I consider myself a 'stock' player, but use KER and KAC.  And recently installed EVE for the clouds (I don't think the city overlays look right personally).  There are other mods I'm thinking about like KJR and KIS, but not seriously atm.  

I always like these threads because everyone posts their favorite mods. I always scan them for any mods that I should try. My favorite so far are

Extraplanetary launchpads

KIS/KAS

EVE

Mechjeb

KER

Contract pack Anomaly Surveyor <<<Highly recommended since it lets you find all the easter eggs.

Mechjeb is incredibly useful for the planetary transfer plots (no need to go outside the game for transfer windows). It also gives you an autopilot that's quite accurate when used correctly. Even if you never touch the autopilot functions (which really isn't cheating.. ships like this SHOULD be flown with computer assistance) it's got tons of other useful functions as well, such as RCS autobalancing.

Precise node lets you place burn nodes super accurately. Needs to be stock. It's less useful if you're letting Mechjeb do your flying, but if you're going without that then playing without precise node is basically shooting yourself in the foot.

KER gives you massive amounts of data on your vessel during building and flight. Can't imagine playing without it. You can see critical part heat pecentages, thrust offset angles and how much torque it applies to the vessel.. tons of stuff. Basically anything you could ever want or need to know about your ship can be displayed by this mod. Probably has lots of info you didn't even know you needed, but once you've got it you won't ever want to go without again. The HUD displays give you apoapsis and periapsis, along with time to them and the biomes you're flying over.

Kerbal Alarm Clock let you keep track of multiple nodes and warp to them easily.

Docking port alignment is invaluable once you start building interplanetary booster stages and the like in orbit. Not only does it actually show you what you need to know to get the alignment right at all times (unlike the navball, where 90% of the time you can't see the indicators you need) it shows you info not included in the stock game in any form. You can see the rotation alignment accurate to the tenth of a degree. This is absolutely necessary for properly aligning the sort of boosters mentioned earlier to avoid thrust offset and torque which would otherwise leave your vessel spinning in space when you turn the engines on. Now.. I just wish there was some way to make the controls and SAS/Mechjeb not so overly touchy. Even with a 3d mouse the slightest of taps is often enough to send ships rotating 5 degrees in the blink of an eye, and then back another 2 degrees in the opposite direction as the SAS overcorrects. Don't even get me started on the idiocy that is the magnetic attraction mechanic..

Edited by Enorats

Although I purposely played without any mods for the first several months after buying the game, there are now three mods that I consider must haves:

Kerbal Engineer Redux
Kerbal Alarm Clock
Precise Node

All three of these are basic tools that just make playing the game much easier.  I really wish all three were stock.

Another mod, which I didn't consider a must have only because it's also available as a on-line application, is

Transfer Window Planner

I've got a few other mods install (SCANsat, Outer Planets Mod, Realistic AtmospheresHyperedit, and AeroGUI), but the four listed above are the only ones that I will never again do without.

Edited by OhioBob

I'd say that Docking Port Alignment Indicator is pretty essential once you want to dock as aligning two objects in a 3+1 dimensional space with just the NavBall is pretty hard at best.

Ince you run several missions the simultaneously be sure to install Kerbal Alarm Clock

Realism Overhaul and all of its required and recommended mods (FAR, Real fuels, AJE, Real heat etc)

Ven stock revamp

Remote tech

EVE

KAS/KIS

Audio muffler (until Audio enhancement is fixed)

26 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

First, mechjeb is superior to KER as it does what KER does and it has autopilot.

(emphasis mine)

That's why I recommend KER as a basic essential.  All it does is provide information that should probably already be in the stock game.  MechJeb goes to another level beyond the minimum basic essentials.

Personally, I haven't try MechJeb yet because I still like piloting my own ships.  That's not to say I may someday get tired of it and will welcome automating some maneuvers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.