W.I.P Larinax Solar System v0.0.4.0

RA3236

2 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

An extremely small red giant. It is only 25000km across.

That makes little sense, A protostar like a red giant is essentially a balloon of gas, Unlike red giants, A protostar will slowly collapse into the main sequence density. Your star realistically should be extremely huge with particles around it to represent the outer atmosphere.

Just now, daniel l. said:

That makes little sense, A protostar like a red giant is essentially a balloon of gas, Unlike red giants, A protostar will slowly collapse into the main sequence density. Your star realistically should be extremely huge with particles around it to represent the outer atmosphere.

I'll look into it. By the sounds of it I'll have to redo the semimajor axes.

Not that it will be happening within the next week, too much KSP 1.1 HYPE!!!

Hey, just checking in on this since you've done a pretty great job so far. What's the status of the mod? I'd like to see more planets and more moons and more... everything!

Can I suggest something crazy? Since planets are constantly forming near prototype stars, why not make a binary planet system? Or even a triplet! They would be similar to Pluto and Charon but more similar in size maybe? :D

Edited by Martian Music

Just now, Martian Music said:

Hey, just checking in on this since you've done a pretty great job so far. What's the status of the mod? I'd like to see more planets and more moons and more... everything!

Can I suggest something crazy? Since planets are constantly forming near prototype stars, why not make a binary planet system? Or even a triplet! They would be similar to Pluto and Charon but more similar in size maybe? :D

Its a pause-development until 1.1 release. No point in making new stuff for this if 1.1 will break it :) 

1 minute ago, Martian Music said:

Well you can upgrade it then ;P I know it's not that easy but you wouldn't just let go, right? And would the binary-planet thing even work in theory?

Yes it will, I'm in the progress of planning it. If 1.1 is not out on Wednesday I'll make Laephus a binary moon ;) 

Just now, RA3236 said:

Yes it will, I'm in the progress of planning it. If 1.1 is not out on Wednesday I'll make Laephus a binary moon ;) 

Woah woah woah woah... If you are the first to ask about the next update...

Are you aware @Martian Music how much work goes into troubleshooting bugs on planets? A lot. It even takes a while for update to come out. Kopernicus 0.7.0 isn't out, and I don't have the pre release.

Also, there was a new rule about inquiring about addon updates. I suggest you look at it.

Yep that'd be awesome.

I'm crazy I know but when I got nothing to do I sometimes pick up a paper and start making my own solar systems. I do follow science (which means I don't go full sci-fi) but I made a triple gas giant system xD where I made it as if 2 of them were orbiting 1 and the gravity of the 2 gas giants are stronger than that of the 1 gas giant in the middle so they're sort of tearing it apart. Am I being sci-fi? Cuz if not I'd like to see that in a mod, and again yours would be best because crazy stuff happen near prototypes.

EDIT: Ehh well, the tearing apart, part, is uhh probably not possible in KSP, but oh well, I love sharing my ideas :P

Edited by Martian Music

Just now, Martian Music said:

Yep that'd be awesome.

I'm crazy I know but when I got nothing to do I sometimes pick up a paper and start making my own solar systems. I do follow science (which means I don't go full sci-fi) but I made a triple gas giant system xD where I made it as if 2 of them were orbiting 1 and the gravity of the 2 gas giants are stronger than that of the 1 gas giant in the middle so they're sort of tearing it apart. Am I being sci-fi? Cuz if not I'd like to see that in a mod, and again yours would be best because crazy stuff happen near prototypes.

That's definitely sci fi, gravity that strong would infact cause the gas giants to collapse into each other.

*tests on Universe Sandbox 2

I want to be careful on the binary planets, they cause lag for me ;) but one or two should be good.

4 minutes ago, Martian Music said:

Good to hear :) so is your mod affected by the 1.1 update?

Yes. Kopernicus hasn't been updated so there's no way to play with it in 1.1.

Please don't ask questions about 1.1 compatibility. Look it up. Kopernicus, which this mod depends on, won't be updated until the full 1.1 release.

4 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

Yes. Kopernicus hasn't been updated so there's no way to play with it in 1.1.

Please don't ask questions about 1.1 compatibility. Look it up. Kopernicus, which this mod depends on, won't be updated until the full 1.1 release.

And if it were updated prior I don't have prerelease, which may be a good thing :wink: 

Version 0.0.3: Laemya!!!

Additions:
- Added Laemya, a moon with a small amount of water. Still WIP.
- Fixed rings on Laephus by adding a texture...
Changes:
- Improved atmospheres and temperatureCurves
- Changed Laephus' Template to Duna to remove ocean...
- Halfed Laephus' size, I realized it was 1600km, which is much bigger than Kerbin :) 
- Made the Laephus system a binary.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, after an indirect request to update, I'll be doing a visuals update using KT to make the planets look a little better. I'll also check a few other bugs I know of to try to keep up with other stuff.

Laephus is looking very nice! I particularly like the ring, it fits nicely with the general appearance of the mod. Whilst I'm unlikely to be able to explore other star systems in my playthrough for a few months (I have exams coming up, and the missions for the current extended Kerbol system (which already has 25 new celestial bodies with just two packs installed) will end up being done first because it takes less time to get there), I feel like this would be a good first destination for my interstellar activities when I do get to that point.

Also, will any of your planets have an oxygen-rich atmosphere? Spaceplanes are quite a popular method of transport and it could be quite fun to find a way of sending one between star systems.

Edited by eloquentJane

3 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Laephus is looking very nice! I particularly like the ring, it fits nicely with the general appearance of the mod. Whilst I'm unlikely to be able to explore other star systems in my playthrough for a few months (I have exams coming up, and the missions for the current extended Kerbol system (which already has 25 new celestial bodies with just two packs installed) will end up being done first because it takes less time to get there), I feel like this would be a good first destination for my interstellar activities when I do get to that point.

Also, will any of your planets have an oxygen-rich atmosphere? Spaceplanes are quite a popular method of transport and it could be quite fun to find a way of sending one between star systems.

I'm pretty sure either Laephus or Laemya has oxygen, but I'll double check. There is a bug with Laemya that shows the blue halo around it, which I need to figure out, but yeah, the ring would be temporary I needed a reason to have a crater or too, but that won't happen until Laemya is fully completed.

I just installed the latest version and I love the looks of the updated planets. Laephus will be very challenging to land on, with the high gravity and pressure. I'll probably need to send non-reusable HAAVs (Heavy Atmospheric Ascent Vehicles), but I already have a few ideas about how to do it. It'll probably be several weeks before I get to Larinax in my playthrough, but I'm looking forward to sending some missions there.

I've found one issue right now. The title screen defaults to the Larinax one, and often it tries to show a different title screen (like the crashed Mun or Bust rocket), freezes for a second or so, and then goes to the Larinax one. This doesn't impede functionality but it does freeze the game briefly whenever the title screen is loaded up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.