I believe it would help a LOT if you added a feature to view a live log for ksp, the reason why I think it would be a good idea is that sometimes people's games crash, and instead of generating a report, it just closes the game, it would also help because if the game freezes up, then closes, we can see what caused that, it could probably mean that we could see what causes most of those pesky lil Krakens. Thank you for reading! Hope you reply soon! ;) 

Edited by TheJangleMan

There's already a log file in your KSP directory.  Stuff goes there.  You can look at it after the game goes kablooie.

Also, if the game actually crashes, it leaves a folder (with a timestamp in its name) that contains relevant info about the crash itself (though it's of a more technical nature that's likely to be mostly of interest to Squad developers).

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2016 at 0:16 AM, Snark said:

There's already a log file in your KSP directory.  Stuff goes there.  You can look at it after the game goes kablooie.

Also, if the game actually crashes, it leaves a folder (with a timestamp in its name) that contains relevant info about the crash itself (though it's of a more technical nature that's likely to be mostly of interest to Squad developers).

My problem is that when it crashes like lets say my whole computer, the log isnt generated! and plus I'd like to see a log even at the part where i's being loaded too so that I could skim through everything to see whats loading or not (sorry for late response :/)

15 minutes ago, TheJangleMan said:

My problem is that when it crashes like lets say my whole computer, the log isnt generated! and plus I'd like to see a log even at the part where i's being loaded too so that I could skim through everything to see whats loading or not (sorry for late response :/)

What OS are you running?  I've never heard of any program being able to crash the whole computer these days.  Crash out of the app, sure.  Is there something really odd about your setup?  I've been playing KSP for a couple of years and never once had it do anything weird to the computer.

When KSP crashes, it writes a crash log.

If you want to see what it's doing while it's loading up, just stream the log file to a text editor in another window.

In-game, once you're past a certain point in the startup, you can open the debug alt+F12 menu and watch the debug messages streaming there.

Programs can crash the computer, it's usually a sign of hardware failure though.  You could very well be overheating either the Graphics, though that would usually just crash the video driver, or the CPU which is very bad.  Modern motherboards have a safety shutdown to save the CPU from certain death.  Games like KSP cause everything in your computer to kick into high gear and generate more heat.

Another possibility is bad system RAM.  This can often only occur when programs load because when Windows is idle or just running a web browser and a few other apps, the bad sectors of ram may never get used.  Once something RAM intensive loads like KSP, it's sudden failure.

Edited by Alshain

19 hours ago, Snark said:

What OS are you running?  I've never heard of any program being able to crash the whole computer these days.  Crash out of the app, sure.  Is there something really odd about your setup?  I've been playing KSP for a couple of years and never once had it do anything weird to the computer.

When KSP crashes, it writes a crash log.

If you want to see what it's doing while it's loading up, just stream the log file to a text editor in another window.

In-game, once you're past a certain point in the startup, you can open the debug alt+F12 menu and watch the debug messages streaming there.

ah, thanks, my os is 64 bit btw

19 hours ago, Alshain said:

Programs can crash the computer, it's usually a sign of hardware failure though.  You could very well be overheating either the Graphics, though that would usually just crash the video driver, or the CPU which is very bad.  Modern motherboards have a safety shutdown to save the CPU from certain death.  Games like KSP cause everything in your computer to kick into high gear and generate more heat.

Another possibility is bad system RAM.  This can often only occur when programs load because when Windows is idle or just running a web browser and a few other apps, the bad sectors of ram may never get used.  Once something RAM intensive loads like KSP, it's sudden failure.

Yeah, it was a heat issue, I fixed it already :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.