The "You know you're playing a lot of KSP when..." thread

Phenom Anon X

We predicting future of America based on what happened to Ancient Rome. My social studies teacher asked me what "zenith" means. I defined it as the side of a spacecraft facing away from the orbited body. Then she asked for the other definition. I said it was the opposite of nadir on a ship. I may play to much ksp...

On 6/8/2016 at 9:59 AM, offtheball said:

When you're driving and wondering what the dv of your car is.

I've actually tried to calculate that.  I went with the number of accelerations to ~67mph, to get me even sets of 30m/s as a yardstick when trying to explain it, with the idea being to get hold of the engine torque per unit gas, convert that to force on the road, and integrate a function of that vs the changing mass of the little 13 gallon tank over the time it'd take to burn it all (requiring I figure out the fuel injector specs/behaviour) to get total acceleration on a flat plane in a vacuum, but the numbers proved too annoying to be worth my while.

Though now I wonder how much delta-v I could get hucking my burning fuel out a rocket nozzle on the back instead.  I'm sure gas-of-the-line doesn't exactly get the best Isp.

22 hours ago, Archgeek said:

I've actually tried to calculate that.  I went with the number of accelerations to ~67mph, to get me even sets of 30m/s as a yardstick when trying to explain it, with the idea being to get hold of the engine torque per unit gas, convert that to force on the road, and integrate a function of that vs the changing mass of the little 13 gallon tank over the time it'd take to burn it all (requiring I figure out the fuel injector specs/behaviour) to get total acceleration on a flat plane in a vacuum, but the numbers proved too annoying to be worth my while.

Though now I wonder how much delta-v I could get hucking my burning fuel out a rocket nozzle on the back instead.  I'm sure gas-of-the-line doesn't exactly get the best Isp.

What about road friction?

2 hours ago, blorgon said:

What about road friction?

Road friction's your friend -- it's how that torque becomees acceleration.  You mean rolling resistance, and I'm not even sure where to find that.  Granted it comes into play at speed, once you're just holding cruising speed against the wind and wheel bearings wheel stickiness becomes a slight loss, but I'd probably ignore it along with air resistance and just proclaim my result as the theoretical max.  After all, I'm after the equivalent of engine vacuum dv.

When you're starting to have an actual problem with space debris. Last night a piece of debris zoomed past a ship in orbit at a distance of just 10km at what looked like a relative velocity of several km/s. 10km might not sound close, but it feels extremely close at those velocities, and it only takes a tiny nudge to make it collide on the next pass. I really need to start cleaning up my debris. :confused:

When you skip reading the NOAA area weather discussion to have an extra minute in KSP (only applies to weather nerds/addicts though).

When someone calls your name and you think "not here, he's out gathering science."

When you occasionally dream about KSP. I had a quite creepy dream last night, I dreamt I forgot I had left timewarp on and did other stuff in the meantime, when I came back it had been on full timewarp for a long time. The ship had left the Kerbol system and reached some hellish looking planet with some random name, gave me the creeps. It was all black with a heavily cratered surface and a fiery looking atmosphere. I think I may have to cut back on KSP.:mellow:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.