The "You know you're playing a lot of KSP when..." thread

Phenom Anon X

On 11/30/2016 at 8:48 AM, AndroidSub said:

When, while studying Ionic Equilibrium, you see the dissociation constant of sparingly soluble salt, which is represented as Ksp , and immediately think about your first Duna mission, which just launched yesterday

p.s. this incident happened to me today lol :sticktongue::)

That happened to me last year ^^

Your multi-rescue vessel has enough fuel left after collecting 4 LKO stranded kerbals to swing past Mun, and you do so because you must got the mun fly-by explore mission.

(Playing a career with KR&D since 1.2.2 has really messed up my ability to eye-ball ships) 

2 hours ago, Delay said:

You know you're playing a lot of KSP when you try to explain orbital mechanics to your dad, who still thinks rockets go up vertically. He doesn't get it.

Right along how this game has made me appreciate SciFi TV/Movies a little less...

Every SciFi Show/Movie, pretty much ever:

Ship in orbit, tootling along.

Ship's engines cut out.

"OMG WE'RE PLUMMETING TO THE GROUND WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE."

Granted, I already knew how silly that was, but my suspension of disbelief is now pretty much gone.

4 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Right along how this game has made me appreciate SciFi TV/Movies a little less...

Every SciFi Show/Movie, pretty much ever:

Ship in orbit, tootling along.

Ship's engines cut out.

"OMG WE'RE PLUMMETING TO THE GROUND WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE."

Granted, I already knew how silly that was, but my suspension of disbelief is now pretty much gone.

yea, I went to the Boeing Museum in Seattle last weekend. They had a new 3D movie called Space Next that was supposed to talk about current and future space plans. The movie was so riddled with classic dumb movie errors that my buddy (who also plays KSP) and I were really disappointed.

They showed a ship banking and swooping amongst an asteroid field while it's primary thrust engines stayed on full power the entire time - it never turned to use the engines to thrust different ways, it just kept banking and turning like an atmospheric fighter. Lots of other comparable mistakes too that I'd expect from Hollywood, but not from a pseudo-educational video at Boeing

When you're speaking about Dv and gravity assists with a person you don't know, but is talking about KSP too :)

When you open Stellarium to show the day's night sky to a mate and say "Look ! Tonight we'll be able to see Saturn and Duna here ! Uh.. Mars..."

When you open a pack of crisps and says "How this would fly?"

When you're talking to a surfer friend about prograde and retrograde vectors applied to surfing and the fact that surfboards have infinite free Dv.

When you can't watch a Sci Fi movie without screaming at each technical / physical error. "Nooo ! When you're orbiting, you've to cut the engines !"

When you're wondering about the feasibility of flying aircraft carriers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.