The "You know you're playing a lot of KSP when..." thread

Phenom Anon X

On 6/7/2013 at 1:11 AM, wired2thenet said:

When you're on Twitter and see a new Tweet by NASA Kennedy / KSC, and read it as KSP, and immediately run to the KSP forums ...

(too many /facepalms to count)

I'm always thinking "Kerbal Space Center" :D It takes me a few minutes to remember it's "Kennedy" not Kerbal" :)

On 17.1.2016 at 2:48 PM, MagicFireCaster said:

you can't sleep due to mission planning still going in your head 

This. Yesterday I went to bed early in order to get enough sleep at the beginning of a tough work week. And I lay awake long after midnight, thinking about my Duna lander concept. 

On 5/20/2013 at 10:43 AM, Rage097 said:

When you start yelling at Sci-Fi movies and your peers for not understanding orbital mechanics.

Ha this is me when I watched Interstellar with my family. My brother said "Why are they going to Mars when they want to go to Saturn?" and I replied with "You idiot they are obviously doing a gravity slingshot to save Delta-v, this way instead of a transit burn they will have to just perform minor correctional burns on their way to Saturn."

Then he proceeded to call me a nerd and say I spend to much time with "that damn rocket game"

On 20 May 2013 at 5:43 PM, Rage097 said:

When you start yelling at Sci-Fi movies and your peers for not understanding orbital mechanics.

I got so annoyed watching Kingsman when she tries to blow up a satalite by going up in a balloon vertically and somehow keeps it in sight for about 30 seconds

When you nearly spell out "Mun" rather than "Moon", it nearly happened to me a couple minutes ago :P

On 1/5/2016 at 6:12 PM, Matuchkin said:

When you actually think you can get something to space via scrap metal, your school's chemistry storage, and money.

I'm getting more and more stupid by the minute.

You probably could, if you get some fellow KSP players too help you out :P 

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

You probably could, if you get some fellow KSP players too help you out :P

You know what? I'd agree. It will probably be *FAIRLY* easy to make a sounding rocket with capabilities to reach space.

Edited by Matuchkin

When during a simulation of the Manhattan project for your U.S. history class you get mad at your class mates for not understanding that a polar orbit would be best if you want to be able to target anything with the space laser you're developing. Or why RCS is needed to aim it. Or what fairings are. Or what gimbaling is. Or what orbits are. You know what maybe my class is just stupid

Edited by Jhawk1099

10 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Or at least exceed 32 km, 1/3 the way into space :P

I guess that, with the usage of hammering/welding skill and a few hundred dollars, one can cluster home-made pressure-fed engines under a fuel tank. Maybe it is possible to create a second stage for the rocket, by popping out screws via firecrackers (or somethin') to create a makeshift decoupling mechanism. There will be lots of error, though.

Found this model-rocketry website. Sounds promising.

https://www.apogeerockets.com

This is getting off-topic, so I will try to create a model-rocketry discussion thread. Spaceception, you can join me there if you're interested.

2 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

I guess that, with the usage of hammering/welding skill and a few hundred dollars, one can cluster home-made pressure-fed engines under a fuel tank. Maybe it is possible to create a second stage for the rocket, by popping out screws via firecrackers (or somethin') to create a makeshift decoupling mechanism. There will be lots of error, though.

Found this model-rocketry website. Sounds promising.

https://www.apogeerockets.com

This is getting off-topic, so I will try to create a model-rocketry discussion thread. Spaceception, you can join me there if you're interested.

Sci/Spaceflight?

7 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Also, will this be a proof-of-concept? Or a full-blown design, because if it's full-blown, I likely won't be able to help you.

It'll just be a discussion thread. How to do it, costs, concepts, exotic concepts, etc.

I'm currently creating a thread for it. Please stand by and answer me on that thread, as this thread is going off-topic. Thank you.

On 22/01/2016 at 5:55 PM, NeoMorph said:

... you buy one of these to play KSP...

ooooo, shiney! pitty about the price tag or I'd be getting one too!

As a web dev quite a lot of my time is spent optimizing server response times, which are measured in milliseconds (ms). But now because of 'ms' being so often used here as shorthand for m/s, I now keep talking about server response time in meters per second. I just told a colleague that I'd got a response time down to 20 meters per second, they looked at me blankly. 

5 hours ago, katateochi said:

ooooo, shiney! pitty about the price tag or I'd be getting one too!

As a web dev quite a lot of my time is spent optimizing server response times, which are measured in milliseconds (ms). But now because of 'ms' being so often used here as shorthand for m/s, I now keep talking about server response time in meters per second. I just told a colleague that I'd got a response time down to 20 meters per second, they looked at me blankly. 

Many people staring at me on the tube after reading this! Made me laugh out loud. I would have loved to have seen that!

When you suddenly push yourself back in your seat at school simulating an engine burn. 

When you wish cars could translate left and right (Get on that, General Motors).

When your dream of becoming an astronaut/engineer has been revitalized just because of KSP.

On 1/16/2016 at 8:54 PM, cubinator said:

The real reason space travel is so hard isn't because rockets are difficult to design, its because space agencies need to figure out how to keep rockets less laggy or they won't be controllable. NASA will probably have to switch to 64 bit for named Mars missions, that's what makes them so dangerous.

Hmmm. It really depends when we try to go to Mars. If Nasa doesn't wait until 1.1, there might be a lot of trouble along the way. The new patched conics display will really help in 1.1 too.

When your wife takes away your computer and tells you that you have a serious addiction (even if she's joking.)

--OR--

When you click "Follow This" on this thread imparticular...

Edited by Andem

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.