Phenom Anon X

The "You know you're playing a lot of KSP when..." thread

Recommended Posts

... when you are calculating a time-frame and reflexively cut it in half and feel like you need to do something at that point.

"Hmm, time to head home in 2:40, so in 1:20 I need to.... wait a sec!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... when you watch a sci-fi movie about something in space and know the physics suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... when you go to school in a cold, dark autumn morning and see the Mun Moon glowing in the sky and think to yourself: Maybe one day, I'll go there...

And when you stand in the kitchen cooking something and turning those little switches on the oven reminds you of throttling rocket engines...

I think I play KSP a little too much. Though, you can't play such an amazing game too much, only too little :D

Screw you, homework...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you are tempted to buy a car because of Isp and TWR instead of Horsepower... and think a SMART car is good (Vancouver roads notwithstanding)

Edited by Jestersage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

When you are tempted to buy a car because of Isp and TWR instead of Horsepower

I've actually thought about this. Shouldn't the power-to-weight ratio be more important than the engine power?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aperture Science said:

I've actually thought about this. Shouldn't the power-to-weight ratio be more important than the engine power?

Yes, it's like saying a rocket has "x kN thrust" instead of "x m/s ΔV" or "x tons payload to LEO" which are more useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When every picture or video you watch you try pressing the right mouse button and move the mouse, trying to change your point of view for a better look. But the picture or video just sticks where it is. :mad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

I've actually thought about this. Shouldn't the power-to-weight ratio be more important than the engine power?

It is. It's why my 750cc sportsbike accelerates like a supercar with damn near a thousand horsepower, yet only has 148 horsepower. It only weighs 200Kg fully fuelled.

As for too much kerbal? No such thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isp would be the fuel consumption (L/100km or miles/gallon) it tells you how efficient your engine might be.

TWR is bhp/kg it basically tells you how much of a slope you'll be able to climb or how fast you are accelerating

Finally payload to LEO is the maximum distance you can drive without refuelling.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, something said:

Isp would be the fuel consumption (L/100km or miles/gallon) it tells you how efficient your engine might be.

TWR is bhp/kg it basically tells you how much of a slope you'll be able to climb or how fast you are accelerating

Finally payload to LEO is the maximum distance you can drive without refuelling.

Er, not quite, no.

Fuel flow is dictated by throttle alone.  Isp relates to efficiency in that it specifies how much thrust a rocket gets per unit fuel by way of exhaust velocity (with another unit canceled out to put it in seconds and make it easier for teams using different unit systems to share design info)  For a car, the Isp analogue would probably be something weird like acceleration per ml of fuel.

TWR needs to have gravity built-in, so you probably want pounds involved, that or kg-gees or some such.  Maybe horsepower per (non-metric) ton?

Max range is much closer to delta-v.  Though actual delta-v would be a stranger thing based on total acceleration potential (consumed by wind/rolling resistance as well as simply speeding up).

Payload to LEO would be more like the max amount of crap you can load it up with and still get some distance on a tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you see pictures of rockets, planes and rovers and go, "I should make it VTOL capable, no wait, make it VTOL capable AND hypersonic."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

When you know the Kerbal system better than the Solar system. :confused:

In fairness, the real gas planets have significantly more moons to remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eloquentJane said:

In fairness, the real gas planets have significantly more moons to remember.

Yes, that's where I actually forget the names. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SmashingKirby148 said:

Yes, that's where I actually forget the names. xD

The gas planet moons I remember are: Jupiter has Io, Callisto, Ganymede, and Europa; Saturn has Titan; Uranus has Oberon and Miranda; and the only Neptunian moon I remember is Nereid. I don't know the orders of any of their orbital distances though. It's much simpler in KSP; even with several planet mods installed there are far fewer celestial bodies to memorize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

The gas planet moons I remember are: Jupiter has Io, Callisto, Ganymede, and Europa; Saturn has Titan; Uranus has Oberon and Miranda; and the only Neptunian moon I remember is Nereid. I don't know the orders of any of their orbital distances though. It's much simpler in KSP; even with several planet mods installed there are far fewer celestial bodies to memorize.

 

Yeah, I'm the same as you for Jupiter and Saturn, but not Uranus. If Triton is a moon of Neptune then that counts too. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Archgeek said:

Er, not quite, no.

Fuel flow is dictated by throttle alone.  Isp relates to efficiency in that it specifies how much thrust a rocket gets per unit fuel by way of exhaust velocity (with another unit canceled out to put it in seconds and make it easier for teams using different unit systems to share design info)  For a car, the Isp analogue would probably be something weird like acceleration per ml of fuel.

TWR needs to have gravity built-in, so you probably want pounds involved, that or kg-gees or some such.  Maybe horsepower per (non-metric) ton?

Max range is much closer to delta-v.  Though actual delta-v would be a stranger thing based on total acceleration potential (consumed by wind/rolling resistance as well as simply speeding up).

Payload to LEO would be more like the max amount of crap you can load it up with and still get some distance on a tank.

Also, I'd know I'm playing a lot of KSP if I type this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This happened a while a go...

I was making an important IRL decision, probably saying something risky to a girl on fb chat to try and find out if she liked me or not, anyway, I actually thought Oooh, I'd better quicksave in case this goes wrong...

There was this confused instant where I tried to workout how to quicksave in real life, then absolute horror as I realised that for a brief moment I'd lost the ability to distinguish between real life and a game. I literally stunned myself. I had to take a few moments to process what I'd done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... when your gf gives you the yeah-you-know-what-I-want-look, but you keep playing ksp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DrLicor said:

... when your gf gives you the yeah-you-know-what-I-want-look, but you keep playing ksp

... so, she wants to play KSP but you're hogging it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.