[1.1] Trails - Standalone Gemini Spacecraft [Released!]

Beale

11 hours ago, DarthVader said:

Can't unzip the 7z. Can't you just use .zip? Every major operating system ever has a native way to unzip .zips

What OS are you using?

You can use 7-Zip for windows and there's Unarchiver for Mac OSX

14 minutes ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Oh @Beale are you going to make the service module seized for the Big Gemini like this one ?

biggem10.jpg

Currently uknown, there are a few problems:

• 2.5m heatshield whilst still maintaining perfect conical shape.
  • Sizing issues (maybe?)

It's huge!

4c4738ce27.jpg11ac3c44d0.jpg

@CobaltWolf might have  a few more plans.

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Currently uknown, there are a few problems:

• 2.5m heatshield whilst still maintaining perfect conical shape.
  • Sizing issues (maybe?)

It's huge!

@CobaltWolf might have  a few more plans.

Yeah I'm not sure. I have plans for making the docking adapter and docking mechanism (which would be reused for Apollo) but I am not sure what size they'd be. The standard 'just make a big cone' design doesn't appeal to me at all :P

EDIT: Also, I assume you're using 7zip for the excellent compression ratios, but I think sticking to zip would be best.

Edited by CobaltWolf

6 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Seeing as we're talking about Big Gemini, this might be of use:

Not sure if it's canon or not, but it's cool all the same ;) 

There really isn't a canon Big G, since it never got past the drawing board. There were a couple different designs for the service module, one was mostly straight while the other (that you posted, and was posted earlier) maintained the same conical angle. @Beale, the smaller gold cone with the docking port was what I was talking about.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

There really isn't a canon Big G, since it never got past the drawing board. There were a couple different designs for the service module, one was mostly straight while the other (that you posted, and was posted earlier) maintained the same conical angle. @Beale, the smaller gold cone with the docking port was what I was talking about.

The "super-conical" version might look a little goofy, but there might be potential there for a big Mars-Lander type thing.

But that's all wild ideas.

The cylinder design works best for mounting on existing rockets, and I don't think you will be getting around to 3.75m parts anytime soon? :) 

@davidy12 Because I am lazy :wink: 

Edited by Beale

20 minutes ago, Beale said:

The "super-conical" version might look a little goofy, but there might be potential there for a big Mars-Lander type thing.

But that's all wild ideas.

The cylinder design works best for mounting on existing rockets, and I don't think you will be getting around to 3.75m parts anytime soon? :) 

@davidy12 Because I am lazy :wink: 

Yeah no the first 3.75m type stuff wouldn't be for a couple months... right now I'm frantically trying to finish all the antenna revamps because right now they are gutted and would break saves.

EDIT: Oh, also, I am covering the tiny Gemini lander but the big direct lander is a possibility.

zlungem1.jpg

Also, here is my preferred design of a Big G SM, as you can see it is mostly cargo and crew space with extremely little in terms of space for fuel.

Big_Gemini.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

Wow Beale, this looks fantastic!. Its nice that it fits with the Bluedog Design Bureau parts. Just a quick question, are you and Cobalt Wolf going to work together on more stuff? Because with the BDB doing the American / French parts and Tantares doing Russian / Some European parts this could make the game so much better.

On 4/4/2016 at 7:46 AM, OrangeMarauder said:

Wow Beale, this looks fantastic!. Its nice that it fits with the Bluedog Design Bureau parts. Just a quick question, are you and Cobalt Wolf going to work together on more stuff? Because with the BDB doing the American / French parts and Tantares doing Russian / Some European parts this could make the game so much better.

Many thanks.

For your question, who knows! 

On 4/4/2016 at 2:40 PM, thunder175 said:

If someone has time, a quick FAR and RealChute MM config file for the chutes would be greatly appreciated for those who run those mods. I found out the hard way late last night when my pod burned in at 250m/s despite a fully deployed chute.

I would like to put together a few extra support for this, especially as this mod will remain small it should be easier.
What would be for FAR compatibility? Realchute should be quite easy.

Latest Files

• Part names and descriptions
  • Big-G heatshield

Part names and descriptions courtesy of CobaltWolf!

5f6a598284.jpg91b8911b59.jpg

I have also been playing around with TRAILS a bit. I had intended to edit the textures a little bit, at least for the BDB version of the parts. Specifically I want them to match the BDB, specifically Titan, art style. I took a quick break today and messed around with them.

7NeXdRP.png

I have also been playing around with TRAILS a bit. I had intended to edit the textures a little bit, at least for the BDB version of the parts. Specifically I want them to match the BDB, specifically Titan, art style. I took a quick break today and messed around with them.

7NeXdRP.png

It's wearing war paint!

10 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Hey, Beale. Is there any way you could include an optional version of the SM with a separate retro pack, for those who don't care about how it'd be an awkward, unusable size for anything but this in particular? 

Nope, sorry. It would be neat, but there is near zero space on the texture map now.

7NeXdRP.png

It's...amazing...

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

7NeXdRP.png

Red lines are great, but they're too smudged and faded I think. The grey dashed lines on the SM don't add a lot, so I would consider leaving them out. 
I like the idea of making Trails an expansion for BDB rather than an inclusion into BDB. It'll likely make things easier. Awesome work @Beale and @CobaltWolf. Really glad I was able to sell the sizing scheme for the parts. 1.5m looks good on Gemini. :) 

Let me know if you want any additional models mocked up for future development. I can figure out a way to do lunar lander parts, or MOL parts. Just keep me in the loop. :)

Edited by curtquarquesso

On 4/3/2016 at 9:52 AM, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: Oh, also, I am covering the tiny Gemini lander but the big direct lander is a possibility.

zlungem1.jpg

This would be so cool, I love those landing legs! I've never heard much about a direct descent gemini; what engines would it use? Probably would have had the worst ground visibility of any lander...

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

2 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

Red lines are great, but they're too smudged and faded I think. The grey dashed lines on the SM don't add a lot, so I would consider leaving them out. 
I like the idea of making Trails an expansion for BDB rather than an inclusion into BDB. It'll likely make things easier. Awesome work @Beale and @CobaltWolf. Really glad I was able to sell the sizing scheme for the parts. 1.5m looks good on Gemini. :) 

Let me know if you want any additional models mocked up for future development. I can figure out a way to do lunar lander parts, or MOL parts. Just keep me in the loop. :)

I'm still playing with the texture, I'll keep all that in mind. My release of TRAILS will do whatever BDB does. I have been considering splitting it up into packs anyways, but otherwise it will just be in the main download.

As for MOL...

vXfJLqX.png

1 hour ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

This would be so cool, I love those landing legs! I've never heard much about a direct descent gemini; what engines would it use? Probably would have had the worst ground visibility of any lander...

That's one of the biggest issues with direct landers. It's funny that direct gemini was proposed, considering that Apollo was already in progress. I don't think there was ever any real possibility of Gemini doing anything more than it did in real life. With that said, it doesn't prevent us from playing with it all in KSP.

That's one of the biggest issues with direct landers. It's funny that direct gemini was proposed, considering that Apollo was already in progress. I don't think there was ever any real possibility of Gemini doing anything more than it did in real life. With that said, it doesn't prevent us from playing with it all in KSP.

Gemini could have been used to rescue the astronauts if the ascent engine malfunctioned, also it could have served as an earth return vehicle for an Apollo lunar base.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.