[1.1] Trails - Standalone Gemini Spacecraft [Released!]

Beale

I don't know which is worse, when someone berates others for not reading the thread, or when they provide an answer which implies the assumption that they haven't read the thread...

If I wanted to use it with BDB's lifter, I'd just get that package...  rather I am pursuing the OP statement that

" 1.875M Parts can be found in Tantares, Contares, HGR, Bluedog Design Bureau, Standard Propulsion Systems,  and a few other mods. "

by asking for full clarification as to which part in Tantares would be the 1.875m to 2.5m so I can cherry pick that out of the rather large Tantares set of (admittedly wonderful) parts to accomplish what I want to do, which is use this with a 2.5m Titan-esque stock lifter.

So I ask again:

1 hour ago, tg626 said:

Which Tantares part would be the adapter to put this on a stock 2.5m rocket?

29 minutes ago, tg626 said:

I don't know which is worse, when someone berates others for not reading the thread, or when they provide an answer which implies the assumption that they haven't read the thread... If I wanted to use it with BDB's lifter, I'd just get that package...  rather I am pursuing the OP statement that by asking for full clarification as to which part in Tantares would be the 1.875m to 2.5m so I can cherry pick that out of the rather large Tantares set of (admittedly wonderful) parts to accomplish what I want to do, which is use this with a 2.5m Titan-esque stock lifter. So I ask again:

Which part was the berating part? There's a 1.875m to 2.5m adapter in Tantares among all the adapters. You could also use stock procedural fairings to transition from 1.875m to 2.5m if you wanted.

There was no berating in this case.

Oddly, I can't get the built in fairings to "close" at the base of the SM.  Maybe because I'm trying to match the angle of the SM's sides.  I put a decoupler under the SM, a structural fuselage under that, and then a 2.5m fairing and it just won't cooperate. :(

1 hour ago, tg626 said:

There was no berating in this case.

Oddly, I can't get the built in fairings to "close" at the base of the SM.  Maybe because I'm trying to match the angle of the SM's sides.  I put a decoupler under the SM, a structural fuselage under that, and then a 2.5m fairing and it just won't cooperate. :(

The stock fairing module's interstage construction is really frustrating. One trick I've used is to use the translation gizmos on it after building the fairing. Usually it won't build until its too high, causing ugly clipping. But then translate the fairing down slightly so it lines up, and voila.

Having re-examined Tantares, I think I'm going to keep using that larger 2 crew capsule, but with this pack's RCS, Chute, and Nose/docking port.  

I will say @Beale, if that larger 2 seat capsule is too small for the kerbals to wear helmets, this new smaller capsule is going to be a *serious* IVA challenge isn't it?

Edited by tg626

6 hours ago, tg626 said:

Having re-examined Tantares, I think I'm going to keep using that larger 2 crew capsule, but with this pack's RCS, Chute, and Nose/docking port.  

I will say @Beale, if that larger 2 seat capsule is too small for the kerbals to wear helmets, this new smaller capsule is going to be a *serious* IVA challenge isn't it?

I'm afraid to say the capsule from Tantares I plan to remove in the future (I think maintaining two separate Geminis would ruin my brain :wink: ).

For the IVA, this craft has even more headroom (but less width) than the previous IVA! Thanks to a better method of cutting the cone (See lower image). Helmets may be possible :) 

Finally, on adapters - no worries - in this pack alone there will be a set of adapters for the 1.5m and 1.875m parts.

94b45d453b.jpg45f52d5abf.jpg

db2a8b7e1a.jpg
437ae2ea1f.jpg

@Beale did you still want to throw in the Blue Gemini adapter section? IIRC it didn't use any additional texture space. Some discussions with @Jso re: canonical MOL launches reminded me to ask about it. The normal SM is unnecessarily big + heavy for launches like that.

The IVA is looking great! 

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Beale did you still want to throw in the Blue Gemini adapter section? IIRC it didn't use any additional texture space. Some discussions with @Jso re: canonical MOL launches reminded me to ask about it. The normal SM is unnecessarily big + heavy for launches like that.

The IVA is looking great! 

I think I can include that, need to do some careful UV arrangement to let it fit though.

The structural parts will need a new texture, that's for sure.

By the way, I notice you have a small texture error on the indexing key. Looks like you are using an out-of-date texture :wink: 

Should look like this.

b8a468b27b.jpg

Edited by Beale

I'm definitely more partial to the previous IVA layout with regards to the IVA using the full volume of the conical shape, and not being truncated short at the rendezvous windows. You really want the windows to be closer to the camera, and the instruments to be recessed  a bit, behind the plane of the windows, or you can't look at both when you're zoomed into the window. Ideally, Gemini needs to be totally flyable IVA only, and should feel more like a fighter plane IVA than a capsule IVA. The Bell X-1 IVA and the old Gemini IVA had this down perfectly.

1 hour ago, Beale said:

By the way, I notice you have a small texture error on the indexing key. Looks like you are using an out-of-date texture :wink: 

I was working off the most recent file I had. I made my edits somewhat 'modular' so I can just duplicate the layers I added to a new PSD.

I noticed the Hypergolic-OMS-White plume was re-done by the RP people. Instead of just a flare, they're not a flare and a plume, if you know anything about real plumes. I had them configured with the plume out of the question, so when they were added they simply sat in the middle of the thrustTransform and were way too big.

Anywho, enough about that, here's one working with newer versions of RP.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Just posting this here to get a status update on a working 1.1 version of this mod, since the Gemini stuff was removed from Tantares...

Cheers!

CM

Beale has a number of mods he is working on. His bigger ones (Tantares and TantaresLV) were first priority. TRAILS is going to be updated Soon™.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Soon™.

Just a few more parts to write configs for, then ready for release.

Below are the adapter (1.5 -> 1.875) and the 2.5 heatshield.

Not going to include IVAs initially, because time constraints.

I'm a little unhappy with the UV unwrapping and use of space, so expect a re-texture one day (But I'm pretty darn pleased with the models, so nothing will be save breaking in future).

13e2d01c8b.jpg

43 minutes ago, Beale said:

Just a few more parts to write configs for, then ready for release.

Below are the adapter (1.5 -> 1.875) and the 2.5 heatshield.

Not going to include IVAs initially, because time constraints.

I'm a little unhappy with the UV unwrapping and use of space, so expect a re-texture one day (But I'm pretty darn pleased with the models, so nothing will be save breaking in future).

Swegg. I know this is sort of 'my problem', but I used that little space on the lower right corner of the texture map for the aero shroud that goes over the docking cone during launch. Just so you know I suppose.

16 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Swegg. I know this is sort of 'my problem', but I used that little space on the lower right corner of the texture map for the aero shroud that goes over the docking cone during launch. Just so you know I suppose.

I'll keep that in mind, that area is still free :) 
I invite you now, to grab the normal map textures :wink: 

T R A I L S

Finally, a release!

Version 1.0

• - Added Gemini spacecraft.
  • - Added Big-G crew compartment.
  • - Added Big-G heatshield.
  • - Added 1.5 -> 1.875 adapter part.

As this is the first release, and when considering I have the work ethic of a court jester, there are entirely sure to be a few problems. 
The parts are fully 1.1 compatible, with tag searches.

Bugs reports, balance issues, general suggestions, send me!

Mods: If possible, could this thread be moved to the release section?

Edited by Beale

Looks great but I do have a problem. When I right click on your lv-900 engine in the VAB while its attached to a ship the menu repeats upwards to the top of the screen. It doesn't crash but repeats when ever I go back into the vab and right click on your parts. This only happens with parts from this mod.

Perhaps a problem with tweak scale? That is the only mod I know I have on that affects the right click menu

I noticed one thing with this mod and its that all of the ships that use its parts (back in the 1.0.5 days), even though TRAILS is installed (and I can see the parts in the VAB), I guess there must have been some part naming changes made cause its still telling me that the parts are missing (from them Tantares, now TRAILS). 

I may have missed something here but, is this a bug or is there a way to fix this by reverting the files to the old names?

Thanks for your continued efforts on this and all of the other stuff too.

CM

1 hour ago, Demigod said:

Looks great but I do have a problem. When I right click on your lv-900 engine in the VAB while its attached to a ship the menu repeats upwards to the top of the screen. It doesn't crash but repeats when ever I go back into the vab and right click on your parts. This only happens with parts from this mod.

Perhaps a problem with tweak scale? That is the only mod I know I have on that affects the right click menu

Do you have a picture? Not sure what you are describing.

1 hour ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

I noticed one thing with this mod and its that all of the ships that use its parts (back in the 1.0.5 days), even though TRAILS is installed (and I can see the parts in the VAB), I guess there must have been some part naming changes made cause its still telling me that the parts are missing (from them Tantares, now TRAILS). 

I may have missed something here but, is this a bug or is there a way to fix this by reverting the files to the old names?

...Not entirely sure what you are asking?

3 minutes ago, Beale said:

Do you have a picture? Not sure what you are describing.

...Not entirely sure what you are asking?

Well, basically, prior to installing the TRAILS mod, some crafts were not loading (missing components, e.g.: Spica RCS). I thought this would be fixed once I installed the recently released TRAILS mod. However, Im still getting all of the same ships not loading. All of these ships used Gemini components. So Im wondering now, what the fix for this is. Is it just a question of reverting the part names to their old ones (as found in Tantares for 1.0.5)?

CM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.