1.1 Performance: AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL

justspace103

so i just finished watching the squad-cast yesterday, and Kasper, EJ and Dr. Turkey showed 1.1 in experimentals. throughout all the awesome stuff like the wheels, the new buttons at the space center, and the fancy orbit lines (and of course the Unity 5 update), what really grasped my heart was the incredible performance increase. seriously, if you haven't watched it yet: stop reading this post and go watch it NOW. your mind will be blown. AND IT WAS ON A LAPTOP!!!

after my initial reaction of amazing disbelieved profanity, i started to wonder about how KSP 1.1 will work on my mac. will mac users get the same experience of performance? Also, how would any graphics be changed and will 64 bit be available for the mac?

Basically, i just have a lot of questions regarding the "under the hood" side of KSP 1.1 on mac.

But seriously, 1.1 looks amazing, even for experimentals and i cant wait until it drops. and of course: thank you devs for everything!!!

42 minutes ago, justspace103 said:

seriously, if you haven't watched it yet: stop reading this post and go watch it NOW. your mind will be blown. AND IT WAS ON A LAPTOP!!!

Done.

O.M.G.. that was just beautiful. Cannot wait to see what it runs like on this old i5 laptop of mine! :cool:

Before getting too excited about how well it was running on a laptop, we should keep in mind that this was an extremely high end machine. 

The thing had an i7 6700hq, which is about as good as you can get in a laptop, and better than a substantial amount of desktop CPUs.

11 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Before getting too excited about how well it was running on a laptop, we should keep in mind that this was an extremely high end machine. 

The thing had an i7 6700hq, which is about as good as you can get in a laptop, and better than a substantial amount of desktop CPUs.

so how would that compare to a mac with 16 GB of ram and a 1 TB fusion drive and a 5k retina display?

21 minutes ago, justspace103 said:

so how would that compare to a mac with 16 GB of ram and a 1 TB fusion drive and a 5k retina display?

Depends on what kind of processor it has.

Also, I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but the performance boost comes at the cost of what seem to be pretty serious freezes during staging events. Granted, the example craft on display was pretty complex, but the staging of the boosters stopped the game for something like 15 seconds. Even with such a large craft, that's kind of a lot. Not the end of the world. Like you said, the performance the rest of the time looks incredible. I can just see those stops in flight getting annoying after a while.

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

Yeah, but integrated graphics and shared memory.... right?

32 minutes ago, Red Dwarf said:

Also, I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but the performance boost comes at the cost of what seem to be pretty serious freezes during staging events. Granted, the example craft on display was pretty complex, but the staging of the boosters stopped the game for something like 15 seconds. Even with such a large craft, that's kind of a lot. Not the end of the world. Like you said, the performance the rest of the time looks incredible. I can just see those stops in flight getting annoying after a while.

AND THAT.... is why it hasn't been released yet... the bug hunt continues, the freezes may not be present in the final product.

55 minutes ago, Red Dwarf said:

@KasperVld did say he was going to send that particular craft file down the developer line, where I'm assuming they'll be able to run the unity profiler on it and figure out what's causing the (admittedly significant) loading hitch

41 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

Yeah, but integrated graphics and shared memory.... right?

I don't think so. That sounded like a high end GAMING laptop which would have a dedicated video card just like a proper* computer.

*note: I have a laptop as well. A gaming laptop. It has its own video card with its own memory. I was making a joke. Please don't flame me for hating on laptops.

While laptops have been getting quite good lately, they still suffer from being in a tight and contained unit. They are more susceptible to higher temperatures than desktops.  Even if you have a laptop with the same CPU and GPU speeds and same amount of memory, the desktop will still outpace the laptop(unless the desktop is really a third-rate model).  Of course, software will always play a part as well.

While I am not sure whether this saves @5thHorseman from visits by flamethrowers, it is definitely a point to be considered.

I do like that there is testing on the game being done on laptops.  This is a separate factor which can bring a lot of bugs to light that might not so likely appear on a desktop.  And it does bring KSP out to be so much more versatile a game.  More platforms, more sales. More sales, more development. More development, more fun. More fun, more splodey kerbals.  (That last one may be a bit redundant)

I hate to be a negative nancy, and I will admit I haven't watched squadcast, so I could have missed comething. However, the summary of squadcast states:

Stream One

1m Joe/Dr Turkey is on via phone, in a car (as passenger) on way to super secret meeting

2m Porkjet is feeling perfect - DrTurkey: "when a german says he's perfect you've got to start feeling alarmed"

3m Confirmation we're playing v1.0.5, today we're going to Duna, large 3.5m rocket on launchpad

3 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

I hate to be a negative nancy, and I will admit I haven't watched squadcast, so I could have missed comething. However, the summary of squadcast states:

Jump into my TARDIS, I'll bring you back to NOW and reality. :)

4 hours ago, DMagic said:

Only running on 2.9Ghz tho. Hexacores tend to have a bit less performance per cpu, which isn't great for games like KSP, that will heavily stress very few cores.

So it's not completely comparable to desktop highend I imagine.

Wow. For me, what really stole the show was the UI. So much better. Crisp, clean, readable. The new right click menus looked awesome, and I very much approve of the lines drawn to the part the menu is attached to. The new navball was stunning, and I liked the way the heading buttons curved along the navball.

3 hours ago, regex said:

Depends on what kind of processor it has.

Ninja'd me old boy.

This is pant wettingly exciting! I hear tell of 800 parts at 25 freakin' FPS.

Just now, Temeter said:

Only running on 2.9Ghz tho. Hexacores tend to have a bit less performance per cpu, which isn't great for games like KSP, that will heavily stress very few cores.

So it's not completely comparable to desktop highend I imagine.

That CPU 'overclocks' itself up to 3.50GHZ I think.

3 hours ago, Red Dwarf said:

That is not good indeed but this is a buggy pre-release, not the final update.

Edited by Majorjim

4 hours ago, Majorjim said:

This is pant wettingly exciting! I hear tell of 800 parts at 25 freakin' FPS.

Not really, no clue why people continue that myth. The framecounter was obviously broken and didn't go below 25fps. It was IRC a ~480 part craft and a 150 part launch tower. Multicore support means both use their own core, so it wasn't equivalent of a single 600 part ship. Did probably use a lot of well hidden struts tho, considering the thing didn't break apart.

That said, the craft didn't completely trash the framerate and more importantly, it still ran on a very playable gamespeed with only little slowdown. Even super sonic effects didn't cause notable drops. Atm 320 part craft static on pad make the game near unplayable, so it is a huge jump in performance nonetheless and not even the limit of what you can do. I'm super excited!

That CPU 'overclocks' itself up to 3.50GHZ I think.

Downclock itself in no time as soon as more than one core is even slightly utilized. Got an I5 with Turbo and that thing rarely ever goes above the stock clock.

Edited by Temeter