[1.3.1] Prakasa Aeroworks Pods and More

2 minutes ago, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

Huh. Never noticed that. Yeah that's not supposed to be there, thanks for pointing it out. IIRC the story behind it is I copied the config file for it off of the Dekhana cockpit for the fuel contents or something else lazy.

Was just odd to me but was an easy chance for me to do in my own game so is what I did.

I just was thinking it looked like you are working on a update I would say, I did even download the mod again and checked the .cfg to be sure it was not something I did or a mod, but it was there.

Anyway again thanks for the work on the mod, it is some really nice looking parts I imagine a lot of time goes into it

2 minutes ago, Mad_Mads said:

Was just odd to me but was an easy chance for me to do in my own game so is what I did.

I just was thinking it looked like you are working on a update I would say, I did even download the mod again and checked the .cfg to be sure it was not something I did or a mod, but it was there.

Anyway again thanks for the work on the mod, it is some really nice looking parts I imagine a lot of time goes into it

I'll catch it this time around. Thanks

OWXO89s.png

ired3Kg.png

YwEfHoo.png

ldUFMXV.png

Finally getting around to Raksha's interior. Flight deck is lit and semi-dressed up. Rest needs chairs, lighting, and the like.

15 hours ago, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

As usual compatibility should come down to the RPM dlls updating if they haven't already. That aside, nothing short of a complete rework of the parts/texture system should break it. I'll get around to testing it myself and the next release should be 1.2 (and coming reasonably soon). Got a lot of projects going at the moment. 

Edit:
Just checked. Looks like everything is in order save RPM, but there's not much we can do there but wait. Evidently there is a 1.2 compatible beta version on github, but they've yet to make a full release.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Did you spot the following note on RPM's Github?

BREAKING CHANGE

ATTENTION IVA MAKERS: Due to KSP's change from TextMesh to TextMeshPro, the color tags (eg [#00ff00] must be changed to an HTML-style format <color=#00ff00>).

Might be of relevance?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2016 at 2:54 PM, Ohm Machre said:

Sorry, but bumping this thread to see if there's still interest?

Actually working on it right now, just somewhat lazily.

riWGPWsg.png

549Cn5v.png

2KeYShn.png

JjX942M.png

ZDaNFUX.png

Its working happily with the new RPM beta.

I must apologize. My "real life" friends and I discovered home blacksmithing and have been somewhat obsessed.

Edited by Balto-the-Wolf-Dog

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheSealBrigade said:

Can't wait to see this updated! It looks so good!

Your timing is so impeccable as to be downright eerie.

5p8t6kq.png

The Long and Lazy Summer Update is out! Pods for the pod god! I know it's not quite as much as usual, but I've made my excuses perfectly reasonable explanations apparent a few times. It basically boils down to a prolonged Summer in California with old high school friends and finding out that home blacksmithing is really, really fun.

Alaskan winter + procrastinating on college work = Many big updates. 

Californian Summer/Fall + Glorious backyard engineering = Fewer, smaller updates.

34 minutes ago, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

Your timing is so impeccable as to be downright eerie.

5p8t6kq.png

The Long and Lazy Summer Update is out! Pods for the pod god! I know it's not quite as much as usual, but I've made my excuses perfectly reasonable explanations apparent a few times. It basically boils down to a prolonged Summer in California with old high school friends and finding out that home blacksmithing is really, really fun.

Alaskan winter + procrastinating on college work = Many big updates. 

Californian Summer/Fall + Glorious backyard engineering = Fewer, smaller updates.

WOW! WOOOO!

15 hours ago, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

finding out that home blacksmithing is really, really fun.

Just wanted to say thanks for this wonderful mod.  I've been wanting to say that for some time now but there was never a forum thread link on Spacedock so I could never find one.

Anyway, as to blacksmithing.  Yeah, I do that myself periodically.  However, one time when working at a living history show, sweating my cheeks off over a hot forge, working myself to death with the hammer and bellows, and choking on coal dust, I looked out the window and noticed a flintknapper.  He was sitting in the shade, sipping a cold beer, breathing clean air, and making sharper knives much faster and with much less effort than I was.  So I decided "modern technology" wasn't all that great, hung up my tongs, and have been busting rocks every since :)

9 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Just wanted to say thanks for this wonderful mod.  I've been wanting to say that for some time now but there was never a forum thread link on Spacedock so I could never find one.

Anyway, as to blacksmithing.  Yeah, I do that myself periodically.  However, one time when working at a living history show, sweating my cheeks off over a hot forge, working myself to death with the hammer and bellows, and choking on coal dust, I looked out the window and noticed a flintknapper.  He was sitting in the shade, sipping a cold beer, breathing clean air, and making sharper knives much faster and with much less effort than I was.  So I decided "modern technology" wasn't all that great, hung up my tongs, and have been busting rocks every since :)

Not to mention how expensive it gets. Almost time to break down and build a 2x72 belt grinder. It's just so cathartic though...

Actually, at risk of wandering in topic a little, any tips on forge welding for damascus blades? We've pulled it off once, but the resulting billet was about as thin as a DVD by the time it took. Also, favored method for rust mitigation? 

In more topic related news, screencaps of craft you guys have built would be appreciated; useful for design ideas and inspiration on my end. Direct requests are welcome too if they fit roughly in the Prakasa design envelope and don't vastly exceed my knowledge in modelling/texture work. I can't promise anything 1:1, I'm not that good, but it might be fun to try. Engines are fair game too as long as I don't have to write a .dll for it. 

1 hour ago, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

Actually, at risk of wandering in topic a little, any tips on forge welding for damascus blades? We've pulled it off once, but the resulting billet was about as thin as a DVD by the time it took. Also, favored method for rust mitigation? 

Spoiler

Well, there are 2 ways to make Damascus.  My preferred method with a traditional coal-fire forge and hammer-and-anvil is to start with a piece of steel cable, heat it up enough to untwist a bit, pack the interstices full of flux, then get it welding hot and mash it flat.  All done in 1 go.  Beat the resulting billet into shape, temper, draw file the edges pretty sharp, oil quench the edges only, then finish sharpening.  Use acid to etch the blade, then finish with gun bluing.  Finally, make a hilt for it.  The knife below was made from 1" cable.  Everything was done by hand, no power tools involved.

Knife-01

If you're into doing things more modern, make a stack of slabs of the various steels you want to scramble, each piece being about 4" long and 2" wide, thickness depending on the number of layers you want but usually about 6-8 layers each about thick 1/8" each.  Arc weld the stack together at one end and then weld the other end of the stack to a 4' length of 1" rebar, leaving about 1/16" to 1/8" between each layer for flux.  Stick this into a spherical forge chamber powered by a propane jet entering tangentially, so you get a uniform tornado of burning propane fire around the stack.  Then smash the stack together with a foot-operated, rapid-fire drop-hammer.  Heat red, twist 180^ in the middle and fold double, reheat, reweld, repeat ad nauseum.  When you get the finger-print pattern you want, reheat and beat into the shape of the desired blade.  Then it's pretty much like the above cable version.

Of course the traditional Damascus blade was hammered together all night and then, just as dawn was breaking, finally oil-quenched by running the red-hot steel through the guts of the fat slave who'd been pumping the bellows and striking all night.  But that's frowned on outside of ISIS-controlled areas these days so instead you need a freshly killed feral hog. the spherical propane forge., and the powered drop-hammer, as stand-ins for the fat slave.

So there's another reason why bashing rocks is superior to bashing iron.  Way less overhead, way less human-rights issues, and the blades are sharper.  Especially if made of obsidian.  And if the obsidian is green, it's magic as well.

Knife02-d

For rust mitigation, I use stone which doesn't rust.  But for iron, I have some lumps of beeswax (perk of being a beekeeper) mixed with linseed oil.  Get the iron warm, no change in color, then rub it on such a lump.  It turns the iron black and it won't rust.  Or you can blue or brown it.

In more topic related news, anyone have any interesting design ideas / dream cockpits that fit roughly in the Prakasa design envelope? I can't promise anything 1:1, I'm not that good, but it might be fun to try. Engines are fair game too as long as I don't have to write a .dll for it.

I'm happy with the ones you have.  I'm more looking for OP spaceplane engines :)

Edited by Geschosskopf

Here's a couple of very bad images from when I was playing around with a hi-speed passenger jet using predominantly Prakasa parts:

WhHeCdv.png

The SCRAM Jet gets up to speed, I wanted to make it to the pole but it got a bit thirsty and I hadn't climbed high enough.

rmzivyd.png

This particular vehicle has seen more unaltered use than any of my other designs. its very simple but its has the Prakasa Pod as its core:

Packed after launch:

Yca5Pbg.pngZju2Q6n.png

unpacked and ready for docking above, below is for when the crew commence their return:

MJEgISL.png

Below is a later revision of the same base craft which has gone on to become the stable return vehicle for 90% of my Kerbin orbital returns

9yZUY1b.pngtykCGvN.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

Just wanted to chime in and say that I am rather impressed by this mod! The attention to detail, form, and function is very admirable and the style of the cockpits are a nice change from other cockpits, especially with the Sci-Fi theme. Please keep up the good work, and thank you for your contribution to the KSP universe!

@Balto-the-Wolf-Dog Very minor issue: I'm getting a missing texture err with v0.6.0:

161203T194154.534 [ERROR] [PartReader.ReadTextures] Texture 'PrakasaAeroworks/spaces/CabinInternals/Knob' not found!

On 11/14/2016 at 11:33 AM, Geschosskopf said:

Ha!... That sounds exactly like my semi-famous flintknapper friend... We have a (amateur) blacksmithing friend in common, and those two are always going on about which is the "better" old world-"technology"... :P

I've tried knapping... Its certainly a technical artform... I didnt get too far, cuz I gave myself tennis elbow real bad doing it... Which meant I pretty much got precluded from trying blacksmithing with the other friend, too :P

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2017 at 0:37 PM, Mannschaft said:

Having an issue with your scram jet Chikna. Engine flames out on activation no matter how many intakes I have attached to the aircraft. Bug with 1.2.2 or something I'm doing wrong?

You're probably too low or too slow. Chickna is designed to function in a performance regime similar to the WaveRider; it requires rare air and a healthy mach number for combustion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/12/2017 at 7:17 PM, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

Version 0.7!

ZSmUj0j.png

Now featuring Mk2 parts and confirmed 1.3.1 compatibility!

Sorry guys, screwed up a config file for the science module. See Spacedock for a file with the issue hotfixed. 50% uploaded at time of posting.

Edit:

Keeping the momentum up

NuDreOI.png

Wth4Ply.png