Part Obsolescence

Pardon me if this has already been suggested or implemented via a mod, but it would be great if there a way to make parts obsolete and remove them from the VAB/SPH. My issue is that in later stages of the tech tree, the parts bins become extremely cluttered with parts from various tech tiers.The problem is compounded by adding all the wonderful parts packs and mods done by the community. Its tedious to constantly scroll thru and pick the only couple I use at any given phase of the game. Some will never get used again. So my suggestion is a way to label parts as obsolete and have them removed from the VAB/SPH parts bins either by user action or via scripting in the parts config. I can envision right clicking on a part in the parts bin on the left part of the interface and labeling the part as obsolete thereby removing from the display. Alternatively this could be done in the R&D building by labeling entire nodes or individual parts as obsolete in the same manner. Obviously this would require an an additional "unhide" button in the user interface. Second, scripting could be used to label parts obsolete. For example how many people still use the Mk1 capsule when they've achieved large craft? If the American space history is a guide, when you get the larger capsules the Mk1 (and equivalent parts) would be heading off to the Kerbal Smithsonian. A way to do this could be if there is script to say basically IF this part available THEN label part X as obsolete (hide). 

Thanks for your time and consideration! 

2 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

You could delete the obsolete parts from the game, and then go to your recycle bin and put back the parts, or reinstall.

I was hoping for a much more elegant solution than manually delete or moving files via the operating system...

20 hours ago, nli2work said:

Create an "Obsolete" display filter.

And leave that filter 'on' by default so obsolete parts get hidden.

A part file can have a reference to its replacement when an obsolete part is being replaced, so the description would read: "Replaced by part XYZ" or, "Replaces: Part XYZ" when you are looking at the replacement part.

It would also mean we need new sets of parts with spiffier specs in the future to replace the obsolete parts, while having the same form factor. An Aerospike or a Vector is not a replacement for a Swivel, it's just a bigger, heavier and more expensive engine in the same form factor. Only obsolete parts if there is a valid replacement with the same use case.

Wouldn't this be really annoying because it would break old crafts/subassemblies as your game progressed. Your playing in career and you just unlocked the ISRU, but what's this, your trusty 1.25M LF launcher you use for comsats no longer works because the Reliant is now obsolete. Even in the endgame, I still have landers with FLT-200s, Satellite launchers with Reliants, and Rescue pods with the MK1 command pod.

A better solution if you want progression (uggh what was that mod called, I know Squad showcased it awhile back) the one where you can upgrade parts' stats with science points.

And Squad is in favor of keeping the game fun over keeping it realistic, so a feature like obsolescence would probably never be added to the core game.

Could be a tech tree mod easily, but doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

From a sandbox perspective It would be nice if the 1.25m parts were more competitive via a 2.5 and 3.5m nerf. Although from a career perspective you would cry.

Edited by Nich

On ‎26‎-‎03‎-‎2016 at 11:05 PM, Kuansenhama said:

Wouldn't this be really annoying because it would break old crafts/subassemblies as your game progressed. Your playing in career and you just unlocked the ISRU, but what's this, your trusty 1.25M LF launcher you use for comsats no longer works because the Reliant is now obsolete. Even in the endgame, I still have landers with FLT-200s, Satellite launchers with Reliants, and Rescue pods with the MK1 command pod.

A better solution if you want progression (uggh what was that mod called, I know Squad showcased it awhile back) the one where you can upgrade parts' stats with science points.

And Squad is in favor of keeping the game fun over keeping it realistic, so a feature like obsolescence would probably never be added to the core game.

Could be a tech tree mod easily, but doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

I don't think the OP meant loosing access to the parts... Just a way to hide them in the VAB for less clutter in the parts gui. :)

Which I think is a decent idea...  

11 hours ago, 78stonewobble said:

I don't think the OP meant loosing access to the parts... Just a way to hide them in the VAB for less clutter in the parts gui. :)

Which I think is a decent idea...  

I made a Module Manager config that removes almost all wings pieces(I use B9 Proc Wings instead), so I find browsing the aerodynamic category much more pleasing...but I cant get access to them without removing my config first(cannot use stock pre-built planes, all have stock wings somewhere). 

So, what if their category is just changed:
-"PotatoRoid" is the part name corresponding to asteroids. If you search around in sandbox mode, using the special filters(i think "surface attach" type parts) you will find it, and be able to launch an asteroid from the launchpad(default size though)

In the same way, wings could be hidden from plane...ehm, i mean plain sight. It is a lot of hassle to find them again, and a MM config can do this...but it needs to happen dynamically by user action, in-game. Is that correct?

On 28/03/2016 at 1:17 PM, GoSlash27 said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I use "obsolete" parts pretty frequently in late career. There aren't very many parts that I would consider useless.

Best,
-Slashy

In a career play mode, replacing "obsolete" parts with newer parts which have the same function would make sense, since you can replace parts on existing vessel designs with cheaper, lighter, better functioning models. Much like upgrading the avionics and engines on a 737.

Vessels that are already built won't break but they may be more expensive to re-launch with the obsolete parts (which have higher manufacturing and delivery costs) when compared to "upgraded" vessels which do the same.

However, in stock it doesn't make a lot of sense because there are no replacement parts which have identical functions. There would be a larger use case for replacement parts if there was a "running cost" dynamic in-game, with replacements having lower running costs than older parts so it would be economic to service them, even on existing missions.

Rather than make part obsolete, I suggest part upgrade.

Like the unshielded solar panel can't retract at beginning, it should be retractable after player unlock the shielded solar panel.

I had put a unshielded solar panel inside a shuttle cargo bay before, but it is not retractable, force me change it to shielded one, it is wired to put a shield inside a shield(cargo bay)

11 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

I made a Module Manager config that removes almost all wings pieces(I use B9 Proc Wings instead), so I find browsing the aerodynamic category much more pleasing...but I cant get access to them without removing my config first(cannot use stock pre-built planes, all have stock wings somewhere). 

So, what if their category is just changed:
-"PotatoRoid" is the part name corresponding to asteroids. If you search around in sandbox mode, using the special filters(i think "surface attach" type parts) you will find it, and be able to launch an asteroid from the launchpad(default size though)

In the same way, wings could be hidden from plane...ehm, i mean plain sight. It is a lot of hassle to find them again, and a MM config can do this...but it needs to happen dynamically by user action, in-game. Is that correct?

I'm not really sure we're talking about the same thing or whether I understand the op correctly at all...

But what I think what he means...

In the VAB/spaceplane hangar.

When you are picking a part to attach to the rocket/plane from the left side of the screen part select menu.

He would like to be able to flag one, some or alot of these parts as obsolete, because he doesn't use em often.

The parts are not to be deleted from crafts or the game or force you to use a new generation of engine or anything like that...

Just the ability to, on the fly, ingame... by user action as you say ... to be able to hide least used parts from the part select menu in the VAB / spaceplane hangar.

Sorry, If I completely misunderstood you OP and this is not what you meant. :) ... But if it's like the above I kinda like the idea... Sure I use some parts all the way through the game for some things, but there are also some parts I never use at all or only until I unlock xyz, after which it makes no sense for them, to be something I have to scroll past to get to the part I wanna pick.

Good discussion. A few of you posted things I didn't even consider. My original intent was not to delete parts, but rather label parts to be hidden in the VAB/SPH parts bins. I don't play stock anymore, and with all the parts packs out there the bins get really cluttered especially with mid-tier parts that probably won't be 'in production' any more at the later levels. In other words, I was thinking of a way for Squad to give us a way to hide parts without the need for additional mods or workarounds. I'd never find the parts I need without QuickSearch most of the time, especially in the Misc bin. Hence the post.

A few of you mentioned part upgrade. That is a great idea and beyond the scope of my original post. I think that is something that mod creators would be able to take advantage of more than the stock game (where every part seems to have its place). For example, in RLA you get the upgraded probe cores (gold foil versions) which could be scripted to replace the older probe cores in your new builds. I do concede however this would be difficult to implement given the current architecture.

Again, thanks for the replies and feedback.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.