Parachute Not deploying

I am having this problem when I want to land on Duna but when I go to deploy my Mk16 XL parachute it does not want to deploy.  Not even the drag chute wants to deploy.  I am assuming this has to do something either with the parachute or with the atmosphere of Duna.  Please help me on this topic.  Thanks!!

Welcome to the forums!

Duna has a tricky atmosphere; most likely you aren't above the minimum pressure for your chutes to deploy. What is the altitude that you're trying to land at? This can make a big difference. How many chutes/drogue chutes do you have? Can you take a picture of your craft?

Check out this link, there was a very similar question asked recently, with some great answers. @Snark has some great advice, as usual. I highly suggest paying particular attention to his two posts in the linked thread. He's able to explain things way better than I ever will:

Edited by KocLobster

4 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

Welcome to the forums!

Duna has a tricky atmosphere; most likely you aren't above the minimum pressure for your chutes to deploy. What is the altitude that you're trying to land at? This can make a big difference. How many chutes/drogue chutes do you have? Can you take a picture of your craft?

Check out this link, there was a very similar question asked recently, with some great answers. @Snark has some great advice, as usual. I highly suggest paying particular attention to his two posts in the linked thread. He's able to explain things way better than I ever will:

I have only one chute and it is the Mk16 XL parachute.  I was landing a few Km above sea level.  I saw the minimum pressure setting of the parachute.  I did not know what to do with it so i left it the same.  If you could point me in the right direction that would be amazing.  Thanks!!

You will have to play with the settings yourself to discover what minimum pressure setting works. You need to start by lowering the min pressure slider in the right click window of the parachute. You also very likely need to use drogue chutes, because there is a good chance you will never slow down quite enough to safely pull that Mk16XL you're using before hitting the ground.

For Duna you need about 3 times as many chutes as you would on Kerbin to slow down... or the same number of chutes but augmented with a retro burn from your main engine(s) to slow you down to a safe speed. Do not expect parachutes to be able to slow you down to safe speeds alone, always allow some fuel for a long burn.

Airbrakes can help but again, not as much as they would on Kerbin.

I set the parachute pressure to 0.1 which lets them open at about the right point for landing if you burn your engines too.

Or try Real Chute mod. It gives you many options when guring your parachutes, different kind of chutes radial, then those that go on top and stack chutes. Bt the option that might interest you the most is that it gives you the ability to set predeployment and deployment of chute by altitude or by pressure. I like more the altitude that is why I too downloaded this so I do not have to think what pressure coresponds to which altitude on desired target. Check it out it is really good one!

Edited by seaces

You definitely want to leave the pressure settings at the absolute minimum for Duna (.04 for mains, .02 for drogue chutes).

These correspond to altitudes of 2.9 km and 6.9 km (respectively) on Duna. Remember that they will only create 1/15 the drag you would expect on Kerbin and the speed limits for safe deployment still apply.

Good luck!

-Slashy

On 3/27/2016 at 7:11 PM, KocLobster said:

You will have to play with the settings yourself to discover what minimum pressure setting works. You need to start by lowering the min pressure slider in the right click window of the parachute. You also very likely need to use drogue chutes, because there is a good chance you will never slow down quite enough to safely pull that Mk16XL you're using before hitting the ground.

Thanks for the advice!

On 3/27/2016 at 5:20 AM, GoSlash27 said:

You definitely want to leave the pressure settings at the absolute minimum for Duna (.04 for mains, .02 for drogue chutes).

These correspond to altitudes of 2.9 km and 6.9 km (respectively) on Duna. Remember that they will only create 1/15 the drag you would expect on Kerbin and the speed limits for safe deployment still apply.

Good luck!

-Slashy

Thanks for telling me that.  It was my first time landing on Duna so I did not know what to expect.

On 3/27/2016 at 1:13 AM, Malich said:

For Duna you need about 3 times as many chutes as you would on Kerbin to slow down... or the same number of chutes but augmented with a retro burn from your main engine(s) to slow you down to a safe speed. Do not expect parachutes to be able to slow you down to safe speeds alone, always allow some fuel for a long burn.

Airbrakes can help but again, not as much as they would on Kerbin.

I set the parachute pressure to 0.1 which lets them open at about the right point for landing if you burn your engines too.

Really helpful advice.  I will keep that in mind!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.