Light Speed!

puzzler300

so i was just wondering if it would be possible to go full on light speed on kerbal? I don\'t think that the game accounts for special relativity, but i could be wrong. so far the highest ive gotten is a six figure speed of about 600000 mps and then my engine separates from my fuel tank.

As far as I know, FLT will be in the game at some late stage... With some warp drive or something. At the moment, though, I don\'t think PhysX can handle relativistic physics at all.

For kicks you could give a decoupler an absurd number for its ejectionforce and send a pod moving several million times faster than light just to see that it can go that fast.

To get there with a normal engine, I would think the safest way is with a low-thrust engine to keep the force applied on the tanks low. I imagine that\'s the cause of the engine breaking off.

I don\'t know if that will actually work though.

According to the laws of physics and the theory of relativity, moving faster than light in impossible because:

When an object is moving at speeds less that the speed of light, time moves forward. At speeds equal to the speed of light time stops. At speeds faster that light, time moves backwards.

Light (or faster than light) speed wold be really cool to add in the game. The information above is the laws of physics in our universe, not the kerbonauts.

Edit: If the physics engine is improved SO much that the laws are the same as in our universe, no light speed. (see spoiler)

okay that\'s what i thought. also it is impossible because as velocity increases as does mass, so at 186 miles per second mass becomes infinite

186 MILLION miles per second.

Also, imperial units are the cause of all human problems. Never, ever, ever use them again, and if you live in the US fill your member of congress\' mailbox with mail telling them to change to imperial untill it falls down and explodes.

Also, imperial units are the cause of all human problems. Never, ever, ever use them again, and if you live in the US fill your member of congress\' mailbox with mail telling them to change to imperial untill it falls down and explodes.

One of these is wrong, I just know it.

A discarded booster exploded a few kilometers away, and the boom reached me at the same instant. It occured to me then that in the Kerbal universe, light and sound both travel instantaneously, with infinite speed. Mach 1 = c. What kind of physics do you suppose that would give rise to?

According to the laws of physics and the theory of relativity, moving faster than light in impossible because:

When an object is moving at speeds less that the speed of light, time moves forward. At speeds equal to the speed of light time stops. At speeds faster that light, time moves backwards.

Light (or faster than light) speed wold be really cool to add in the game. The information above is the laws of physics in our universe, not the kerbonauts.

Edit: If the physics engine is improved SO much that the laws are the same as in our universe, no light speed. (see spoiler)

Remember though that time is relativistic and only perceived. As you approach the speed of light, you would get a visual spectrum shift first off. Behind you would turn red, ahead would turn blue, a form of photo doplar effect. As well, the time duration for it to reach you would change. Behind would appear to move slower, ahead time would appear moving faster.

I could go on for hours if no days in a discussion about relativistic speed and light hitting our eyes, but that would off topic way too much and possibly get heated.

On topic, the amount of fuel to passively accelerate to light speed would be nearly infinite because of the energy required to be input into the system. Also stellar matter is equally as threatening where individual molecules colliding, well, that is what the hadron does.

tell me why light speed is needed? if we have light speed, then you will fly from from kerbal to the sun and back in like 16 sec? (i have no idea, i just know that speed takes like 8 minutes to reach earth :D) so ksp needs more than 1 star (how is a group stars called?)

tell me why light speed is needed? if we have light speed, then you will fly from from kerbal to the sun and back in like 16 sec? (i have no idea, i just know that speed takes like 8 minutes to reach earth :D) so ksp needs more than 1 star (how is a group stars called?)

Cluster or galaxy depending on how big. Having a much larger universe would always be fun, but we REALLY REALLY need a faster time warp factor. I\'m currently trying to hit absurd velocities with stock parts by doing a high altitude sun dive (Apoapsis 277 billion meters. The 9 year orbit takes forever to complete.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.