What gamemode do you play ?

Elowiny

Your main gamemode  

149 members have voted

1. 1. What gamemode do you mostly play on?

• Sandbox
    • Science
    • Career
    • Sandboxy Career (Like me)

I was wondering what is the most played gamemode among the community. I personally play an "hacked career", it's career, with infinite funds, science and reputation. Basically, it's Sandbox with contracts (To give me challenges) and the science archive!

So, in what gamemode do you mainly play, and which one do you hate?

Edited by Elowiny

My preference is science- While I can appreciate the extra challenge financing can add, I just... I've been playing Kerbal so long I don't feel like the restrictions it adds through cost contributes to my gameplay.... Kerbal for me has always been about insanity, overengineering, and limited practicality. Having to pay for things... limits without fun. 

However, I LOVE the way the tech tree (Specifically the CTT) slows the game down a bit and adds a sense of progression and achievement through the research and science accumulation... fostering nw imaginative designs through some limitations and the new tech (when you unlock it!). It makes it more exciting and gives a bit more structure - "Right, I've got the bits I need to make some sort of Duna flyby probe... and that should net me the science to get there with a kerbal..." - that kind of attitude. I'm really happy with how squad seperated out the tech and full career modes for that reason. 

So yeah, that's how I get my fun out of the game!   

Persoanlly I hate Science mode, and the Science mechanic in general, so on the rare occasion I foray into career, I will usually hack in science and just play with mission and funds.

It used to be bette4r when part test contracs gave lots of science.  A mechanic where part testing was the way to unlocking new parts would be better. 

I like having ideas of stuff to do via contracts, I like the science reports, the funding part is less fun. So I usually play like a career mode where money isn't an issue. I usually only have to give myself like 1-5 million funds at the start and the rest takes care of itself.

I abstained from voting because I can't check all 3.

Unlike many, I actually really like Career. It's a fun, game-y way to run a space program where you have latitude to do what you want but sometimes have to hunker down and take on some contracts to make ends meet.

I also like Science mode. It's nice to start with limits and not be able to build a hulking behemoth that won't even fit on the launchpad on day 0 of your space program, and then slowly build up your available parts through pure science missions without having to worry about all that money nonsense. It's also nice to see either how far you can go with limited parts unlocked, or how quickly you can unlock more parts.

But I also like Sandbox mode, whether it be for testing a design without constraint, or just for that nice ability to build a hulking behemoth that won't even fit on the launchpad on day 0 of your space program.

I play career and I think the contract system has come a long way since it was introduced.  Contracts have made my gameplay much more interesting by challenging me.

I would not have done flybys of Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Eve, Ike, and Duna all with a single vessel without a contract spurring me to do it.  And, of course, the rescue contracts have given me challenge after challenge, not to mention lots of funds and Kerbals I don't have to pay to train.

That said, I learned in Science Mode and I still think that's probably the best way to learn the game.

I use Sandbox for testing stuff once in a while.

Happy landings!

15 minutes ago, Peder said:

I only play career mode on highest difficulty level + mods like remote tech and life support for realism.
Other than that it is pretty much only stock parts i use for construction.

I love RT and TAC life support for the same reason :P 

I play Career in all my saves, always either Normal or higher with no mods but visual (EVE, Planetshine, Scatterer, DOE) and informatory (Mechjeb).  I'm not a very imaginative person, so I tend to burnout very fast when the game doesn't set goals and milestones for me in the form of contracts.  Even in Sandbox, I follow my normal progression of small satellites, then orbital missions, then Munar probes, and so on.  It just doesn't feel right to take control of a space program and head to Duna off the bat without any infrastructure or communication satellites.  

Edited by Butterbar

Career. If I want a sandbox-type experience, I'll just start an ultra-easy career game with favorable slider settings. Usually I'm running mods (CTT, ETT, or SETI tech tree, plus contract configuration and strategia) and using a rescaled system to make things interesting.

Whenever a new version hits, I tend to start a career save. I always enjoy my self in the beginning, but roughly halfway through the tech tree I tend to stop and realise and I'm just grinding contracts I have absolutely no interest in doing, just to afford the things I actually enjoy doing. At that point I try to change pace, and only take contracts that are allready in line with what I actually want to do, but then THAt leads to me realising that I spend roughly 80% of my playtime just declining contracts I don't want, 15% setting up my missions so that they also completes the few fun contracts I've been able to find and 5% having fun.

This is the point at which I'll start a new sandbox save and spend 100% of my time having fun instead, untill the next update comes around.

Still, do not confuse this as a dislike of the career game. I'd dare say it's the one and only career mode in any game I've played that I've been this patient with, so that's a good thing. I'm a sandbox player at heart, and normally I'd rather eat shards of broken glass than spend time with any kind of goal- or challenge oriented gameplay.

I was exclusively sandbox until about a week ago.  I tried career for the first time, and felt like I was having fun on a whole different level.  I imagine that I'll go back to sandbox after learning a few new tricks.  It's helping to pass the time until 1.1.0 drops, anyway.

Sandbox for the most part ... I only played science mode a couple times and career a couple times as well

I mostly enjoy the impractical, overengineered monstrosities you can create that bring your frame rate down to abysmally low numbers although I've been doing the fighter plane deal a lot lately

The forum challenges are a big part of what has kept me playing KSP for the past 3 years

Edited by DoctorDavinci

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.