Impossible Contracts?

I have some tourists that want to orbit the Sun.  No problem, but I have others that want to Flyby the Sun.  For other bodies a Flyby is to enter the SOI on a trajectory that also exits the SOI.  To meet this requirement do I really need to exit Kerbin's SOI with a solar escape velocity?  Won't a solar orbit be enough?

If you enter Duna's SOI and then enter Ike's SOI you are considered to have done a flyby of Duna.

So all you should have to do is enter solar SOI and then enter some other body's SOI and that should be sufficient.

Happy landings!

Flyby the sun pretty much means the same thing as orbiting the sun. I once even wondered if the progress checking distinguishes them. I tested by making my first entry into solar SoI being an escaping one, but then the orbiting WorldFirst contract never showed up after that.

Thanks for the quick replies, but these are all inferences.  I have been caught a few times by the KSP engine not recognising a Kerbal Flyby if the SOI changes while the vessel they are in is not active.  I don't want to get caught by going into a solar orbit not being recognised as a solar Flyby.  Think I may just avoid these contracts.

I don't want to seem rude but I find a lot of people here try to answer questions that they don't really know the answer to.  I know you are all trying to be helpful but it would be really useful if either you would answer from experience, or remain silent if you can't confirm what you think. 

Fancymouse:  If its not active any SOI change is missed as far as Kerbals are concerned, I agree, it is a bug, I know about it, but it doesn't help me with my question.  I do use the KAC.

C1Dean:  Thank you but I am not interested in "should be sufficient" I want to know what is before I agree to a contract

Madscientist16180:  Someone who actually seems to have an answer from personal experience.  Thank you.  I will haunt you if you are wrong :wink:

7 hours ago, THobson said:

...but these are all inferences...

FancyMouse quite clearly said he tested it. Not an inference.

2 hours ago, THobson said:

I don't want to seem rude but I find a lot of people here try to answer questions that they don't really know the answer to.

Well, it is rude and you're asking the community to somehow "prove" an answer which only the actual programmer can answer definitively, or which only someone who has had exactly the same contract as you can answer with a "I entered the SOI and it worked". Judging by your responses here I'm not even sure that that would satisfy you.

As it is, we have probably all had a "fly-by" contract which has been checked off on entering the SOI of the body in question. "It should work" is therefore a perfectly acceptable answer. Case in point - I had a "fly-by Moho" contract which was ticked off the instant I entered Moho's SOI just a couple of hours ago.

In addition, most of us have had the experience that a "fly-by" isn't registered when the vessel was not active when it entered an SOI. Combined experience and shared wisdom therefore says - quite clearly - that if you enter an SOI while in control of a vessel, then that vessel should be marked as having completed a "fly-by" of that body.

That much is known, and apparently you know it too. I'm not sure what further "knowledge" you are looking for.

edit: Guessing that your posts here might just be because you've been given wrong information in the past, I checked and saw a similar question a while ago which really wasn't answered correctly.

For example, one bit of wrong information was that for a fly-by to register, the trajectory mustn't impact the body. I doubted this, tested it with a save shortly before arrival for that Moho contract I mentioned, and can confirm that the game makes absolutely no test to see whether your trajectory is actually possible: it can go clean through the planet and will register as a "fly-by".

So yes, some people make assertions that aren't correct, some people leave hugely successful youtube videos up without letting newcomers know that the info is just plain wrong. Some people just make stuff up. Please save your ire for them - they aren't in this thread.

Edited by Plusck

1 hour ago, THobson said:

C1Dean:  Thank you but I am not interested in "should be sufficient" I want to know what is before I agree to a contract

I get what your saying. You're looking for a serious answer from someone who has accepted the contract before.

I have taken the contract before, and I have completed it by going from kerbin's SOI to the sun's SOI.

as for what you said being rude, you mabye could have worded what you said a little better :D.

Edited by C1DEAN

Thank you and apologies for causing some upset.  I guess I was over reacting to replies I have seen elsewhere where some replies don't even address the question.  I will be more carful in future.

C1Dean:  Perfect answer thank you.  

2 hours ago, THobson said:

Thank you and apologies for causing some upset.  I guess I was over reacting to replies I have seen elsewhere where some replies don't even address the question.  I will be more carful in future.

C1Dean:  Perfect answer thank you.  

Thanks man, apologise accepted :D .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.