OSIRIS-REx Asteroid Sample Return

OSIRIS-REx is a NASA robotic sample return mission going to near-Earth asteroid Bennu.  Bennu is a primitive asteroid, roughly spherical and 1/2 km across in an orbit mostly between Earth and Mars.  (There isn't really a comparable object in the Kerbol System.)  OSIRIS-REx launches at around sunset on an Atlas V 411 rocket.  It has a wet mass of 2110 kg.  There are numerous images of the at dslauretta.com. Below is also a file with collection of spacecraft drawings from a design review.  All of these are approved for distribution, so between the photos and the drawings you should have a tremendous insight into the design.

CAD Drawings (PDF)

My name is Dr. Jason Dworkin and I am the Project Scientist for the mission and I have made a few versions of OSIRIS-REx, including the this (PDF) in stock 1.0.5 parts.  But is far too heavy, the center of mass is not well aligned with the center of thrust, and I have been unsatisfied with my use of mods to articulate the solar arrays and sampling arm.  I did a launch with Launchers Pack, OSFairings, TweakScale, InfernalRobotics, and some mass edits to some stock parts but there were still issues.  

I'll bet you can do better.  I challenge this community to create, launch, rendezvous, and return a sample. I look forward to your results.

Detailed rules below.  The contest closed October 8, 2016 at 7:05pm EDT.

Spoiler

Categories:

1. Most accurate spacecraft reproduction in stock KSP with no mods
  2. Most accurate spacecraft reproduction with unlimited use of mods
  3. Most accurate reproduction of OSIRIS-REx mission design in the KSP universe (unlimited mods)
  4. Most accurate reproduction of OSIRIS-REx mission design in RSS/RO (unlimited mods)
  5. Lowest ∆V OSIRIS-REx mission design in the KSP universe to (unlimited mods)
  6. Lowest ∆V OSIRIS-REx mission design in RSS/RO (unlimited mods)
  7. Consolation prize for funniest and most epic fail

Proof: For 1 and 2 the .craft file (and list of mods for 2) and images are sufficient, but additional explanatory video appreciated. For 3-6 images or a single explanatory video of launch, maneuvers, and each mission phase.  Please read for example

for the details on these phases, the spacecraft, the payload, and the sampling system.  Post your entries in this thread, state your desired category.  One entry per person per category. 

Limits: KSP version 1.0 or newer is permitted, the most recent version is preferred.  Propulsion systems for 1-4 are chemical and the spacecraft is monoprop.  For 5-6 propulsion systems are limited to those plausibly available (e.g. chemical, ion, nuclear, aerospike, etc.) but not future technologies with no real-world prototype (e.g. no fusion, fission, warp, etc.).  For 5 and 6, mission duration cannot be longer than 15 years.  Low ∆V missions which to not adequately survey Bennu will not be considered. In categories 2-7 all mods/plugins must be listed.  Any custom-made mods/plugins and .craft files must be supplied.  All missions (categories 3-7) must have a launch wet mass of 2110 kg and encounter an object of Bennu's mass and size, such as the one generously created by @KillAshley's Kopernicus.  The Gilly mass Bennu is considered a cheat, but may be helpful for practicing.  The cheats in the F12 menu are cheats and shall not be used, as with other cheat mods.  Note that the OSIRIS-REx design, mission plan, launch vehicle, and logo has changed since first imagined in 2004, this competition is for the final flight version.  

Judging: I will judge the fidelity of the submission to the mission and reserve the right to solicit the input of members of the OSIRIS-REx team.  The contest closes launch+30.  This is October 8, 7:05 EDT.  This enables you to incorporate the exact launch profile should you choose to.  Winners may choose to provide me with their physical address to receive a care-package of OSIRIS-REx stickers, pins, and other material via mail.  This is optional.

Edited by IonStorm
Added rules.

10 hours ago, IonStorm said:

My name is Dr. Jason Dworkin and I am the Project Scientist for the mission and I have made a few versions of OSIRIS-REx, including the http://www.This website cannot be used on these forums/download/7qvpdldmh1ohv1b/OSIRIS-REx_in_KSP.pdf in stock 1.0.5 parts.  But is far too heavy, the center of mass is not well aligned with the center of thrust, and I have been unsatisfied with my use of mods to articulate the solar arrays and sampling arm.  I did a launch with Launchers Pack, OSFairings, TweakScale, InfernalRobotics, and some mass edits to some stock parts but there were still issues. 

Hi Dr. Dworkin !

That's nice to see some NASA scientists here. May you talk a little about this awesome OSIRIS-REx mission and your job on it ? I hope that it will succeed !

About the KSP mission, I have a few questions :

- What should be the key features of the probe (mining drill, experiments,...) ?

- What should be the asteroid class size in KSP to copy Brennu size ?

- Shall I use the Dmagic Orbital Sciences Exobiology Core Drill ?

- Can I launch it with a russian rocket ? :cool:

Also I put two of your pictures on Imgur for lazy people :

Edited by Andiron

46 minutes ago, Andiron said:

- What should be the asteroid class size in KSP to copy Brennu size ?

Brennu is about 492 meters in diameter and weighs at least 6×1010 kg ; way larger than even class E asteroids.

Edited by Spheniscine

OSIRIS-REx is a PI competitively won mission.  The PI is Prof. Dante Lauretta from the University of Arizona.  I am the Project Scientist, so I am a NASA employee who works to ensure that the mission objectives continue to be aligned with NASA objectives, that the science and engineering needs are balanced.  I have been working on OSIRIS-REx or its predecessor concepts since 2004.

OSIRIS-REx has a high gain antenna for communication and gravity measurements, 2 cameras for asteroid navigation, 2 star trackers for navigation, reaction wheels, 2 flash lidars for sample navigation, ACS thrusters, hydrazine main engines, two 2-axis articulated solar arrays, etc.  The solar arrays must be balanced to maintain the center of mass and the center of area since the solar pressure is about the same as the gravity at the asteroid (~1/2 km across).  The spacecraft is blanketed in germanium black Kapton, so it is silver/black not gold.

The sampling system uses a jet on nitrogen gas to blow surface regolith into an air filter-like collector on the end of a robotic arm.  It touches the surface for only 5 seconds then stows the collection head inside the (Stardust-like) sample return capsule (SRC) by severing the head.  There is a camera to be sure the sample is properly locked in the SRC.  The spacecraft is wrapped

The instrument payload is: a suite of 3 cameras (U. Arizona) 2 spectrometers from 0.4-50µm (GSFC, Arizona State), a lidar (Canadian Space Agency), and a student-made x-ray fluorescence imager (MIT/Harvard).

The spacecraft take 2 years to get to Bennu maps for over a year, samples, and returns in 2023. The SRC (heat shield, a drogue, and main chute) is released and lands in Utah, while the spacecraft is left to orbit the Sun for decommissioning or re-use (as NASA sees fit).

Here is a basic animation (a better movie is in development) http://www.asteroidmission.org/mission

Here is more than you want to know about Bennu:  http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.4704  It is bigger than a Class E asteroid and smaller than Gilly (but I usually go to Gilly)

As far as modifications to the mission, you are free to be as accurate as you like.  But in real missions the most important things (in order) are cost, safety, schedule, and science. Often cost=schedule.  Atlas V 411 is the most reliable (i.e. safe) launch vehicle withe enough capability to get us to Bennu without wasting money on too much power (or shaking the spacecraft apart).

Currently OSIRIS-REx is on schedule and under budget!

Have fun,

Jason 

P.S. See also my post in Science & Spaceflight on the social media event in Denver April 29 (or just go to http://www.nasa.gov/social/osiris-rex-preview).  Also, the launch in at KSC (Florida) opening 7:05 pm September 8 for anyone who wants to go.  Due to orbital mechanics and cost, September/October 2016 is our only window.

Edited by IonStorm
added s/c color

Perhaps someone with a bit of experience modding could put together a savegame file. A very large E class in roughly the right orbit in an RSS save, or Kopernicus in Bennu as a planet (Gilly hack). Share the mod list and save game file on Dropbox. Then we can all give it a shot with the right payload weight, launcher etc.  Least dV/cost posted on a board?  I'm happy to help any way I can.

To Do list:

1)find planet editor competent with Kopernicus to get Bennu as accurate as possible @KillAshley did an amazing job here! (also I made a hacky asteroid version for stock)

2)find part editor who can simulate instruments at least as far as mass/cost, maybe hack Dmagic configuration or something

3) create RSS save with Earth and Bennu in the right orbits and times for a Sept 2016 launch

4)Organize as simple a mod list as possible for wide distribution

5) Share and profit!

Paging all volunteers!

Edited by Jetski

6 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Perhaps someone with a bit of experience modding could put together a savegame file. A very large E class in roughly the right orbit in an RSS save. Share the mod list and save game file on Dropbox. Then we can all give it a shot with the right payload weight, launcher etc.  Least dV/cost posted on a board?  I'm happy to help any way I can.

Love it!

11 minutes ago, IonStorm said:

Atlas V 411 is the most reliable (i.e. safe) launch vehicle withe enough capability to get us to Bennu without wasting money on too much power (or shaking the spacecraft apart).

Plus, the asymmetrical feature makes it twice cooler

1 hour ago, Jetski said:

Perhaps someone with a bit of experience modding could put together a savegame file. A very large E class in roughly the right orbit in an RSS save, or Kopernicus in Bennu as a planet (Gilly hack). Share the mod list and save game file on Dropbox. Then we can all give it a shot with the right payload weight, launcher etc.  Least dV/cost posted on a board?  I'm happy to help any way I can.

To Do list:

1)find planet editor competent with Kopernicus to get Bennu as accurate as possible

2)find part editor who can simulate instruments at least as far as mass/cost, maybe hack Dmagic configuration or something

3) create RSS save with Earth and Bennu in the right orbits and times for a Sept 2016 launch

4)Organize as simple a mod list as possible for wide distribution

5) Share and profit!

Paging all volunteers!

Yep - this would be the way to go. Will require someone with more than my own nonexistent modding skills - I was pondering payload elements - they don't need to do anything in game terms, but they do need to mass properly (and looking right would be a bonus)

58 minutes ago, Gojira1000 said:

Yep - this would be the way to go. Will require someone with more than my own nonexistent modding skills - I was pondering payload elements - they don't need to do anything in game terms, but they do need to mass properly (and looking right would be a bonus)

I'll see how much detail about the wet and dry mass I'm allowed to share.  But here are better values than Wikipedia has: http://dslauretta.com/2015/02/08/the-osiris-rex-heavy-launch-opportunity/

"...we are on target to maintain our projected dry mass of 860 kg. The maximum capacity of our propellant tank is 1245 kg of hydrazine. Adding this mass to our dry mass results in launch wet mass of 2110 kg..."

Edited by IonStorm
Linked to PI Blog on revised s/c wet mass

22 minutes ago, IonStorm said:

I'll see how much detail about the wet and dry mass I'm allowed to share.  

If nobody better chimes in in the next day or so, I'll try to learn enough Kopernicus to hack a Gilly analogue into orbit. I haven't played with it before though, so hoping one of the better planet modders  jumps in :)  Looking at you @KillAshley and @NathanKell

Edited by Jetski

1 hour ago, IonStorm said:

I'll see how much detail about the wet and dry mass I'm allowed to share.

Here are values taken from the current draft of our public fact sheet. Though the fact sheet is being revised, the values are currently accurate.  The dry mass may increase a small amount in the next few months, but the wet mass is solid.  Any increase in dry mass comes out of our fuel reserve.  The size will not change.

• Length: 6.2 m (20.25 feet, with solar panels deployed)
  • Width: 2.43 m (8 feet) x 2.43 m (8 feet)
  • Height: 3.15 m (10.33 feet)
  • TAGSAM Length: 3.35 m (11 feet)
  • Dry Mass (unfueled): 880 kg (1,940 pounds)
  • Wet Mass (fueled): 2,110 kg (4,650 pounds)
  • Power: Two solar panels generate between 1,226 watts and 3,000 watts, depending on the spacecraft’s distance from the Sun.

Please tell me if you need other specific information for your models and I will see what I can get released for you. 

Edited by IonStorm

24 minutes ago, IonStorm said:

Here are values taken from the current draft of our public fact sheet. Though the fact sheet is being revised, the values are currently accurate.  The dry mass may increase a small amount in the next few months, but the wet mass is solid.  Any increase in dry mass comes out of our fuel reserve.  The size will not change.

• Length: 6.2 m (20.25 feet, with solar panels deployed)
  • Width: 2.43 m (8 feet) x 2.43 m (8 feet)
  • Height: 3.15 m (10.33 feet)
  • TAGSAM Length: 3.35 m (11 feet)
  • Dry Mass (unfueled): 880 kg (1,940 pounds)
  • Wet Mass (fueled): 2,110 kg (4,650 pounds)
  • Power: Two solar panels generate between 1,226 watts and 3,000 watts, depending on the spacecraft’s distance from the Sun.

Please tell me if you need other specific information for your models and I will see what I can get released for you. 

Brilliant - that will help the modders make a parts pack of appropriate masses

3 minutes ago, Gojira1000 said:

Brilliant - that will help the modders make a parts pack of appropriate masses

Again, if you folks need additional detail, let me know.  But the CAD drawings and photos should already provide remarkable detail.

Summary of data:

Oh, and this is a little about the science:

@IonStorm WOW, cool! :) A real NASA guy hehe! ;)

This is really cool. I could see if I can create a slightly stockalized version (Not that I couldn't also create a realistic OSIRIS-REx mod, but stockalike is probably gonna make this all more popular).. :) Guess we need my Atlas V again then.

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

6 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

@IonStorm Welcome to our forums, I need to post this image in relation to your challenge.

Thanks!  That xkcd has been posted on more than one office door.  However, I use this one in talks when introducing OSIRIS-REx science objectives:

stratigraphic_record.png

Mouseover text: "All we have are these stupid tantalizing zircons and the scars on the face of the Moon."

I've been playing (mostly stock) KSP since v0.10, watching my some YouTubers, and lurking but have very rarely posted to the forums.  As a chemist, I'm not expert in flight dynamics and have learned a lot from messing with KSP.  Now in meetings with the navigation team, I picture maneuver nodes!

52 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

@IonStorm WOW, cool! :) A real NASA guy hehe! ;)

This is really cool. I could see if I can create a slightly stockalized version (Not that I couldn't also create a realistic OSIRIS-REx mod, but stockalike is probably gonna make this all more popular).. :) Guess we need my Atlas V again then.

You are my hero :)

5 minutes ago, Jetski said:

I mean really, wouldn't it be amazing to live in a world where you could crowd-source rocket science?  Props to KSP for even just making us able to think about it.

These are close with respect to the science

but the cost of entry is still too high for the engineering.  As a tax-payer or a stock-holder this should make you happy.

My initial reaction is to wonder about scaling.

The Kerbol-Kerbin system is smaller than Sol-Tellus. The scaling factor is about 10.9 to 1

It looks as though Bennu could be an E-class asteroid, but that makes things such as sample-return messy You have to grab an asteroid, a sort of docking, rather than land on it.

A Gilly-based mod might be the better answer.

3 minutes ago, Wolf Baginski said:

My initial reaction is to wonder about scaling.

The Kerbol-Kerbin system is smaller than Sol-Tellus. The scaling factor is about 10.9 to 1

It looks as though Bennu could be an E-class asteroid, but that makes things such as sample-return messy You have to grab an asteroid, a sort of docking, rather than land on it.

A Gilly-based mod might be the better answer.

If I'm reading the mission profile right (debatable since im technically at work and playing with my phone) It's a sort of touch and go, 5 seconds of contact then off again.  Maybe simulate it very simply by nosing up and deploying a stock whip antenna into the asteroid, then off again.  

6 minutes ago, EpikAardvark said:

Hi Dr. Dworkin, I would like to ask what type of Centuar upperstage is planned to be used?

No need to be so formal.  It is single engine (SEC) Centaur.  This is designated by the second 1 in Atlas V 411.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.