OSIRIS-REx Asteroid Sample Return

2 hours ago, Wonderbreadninja said:

@IonStorm how would you like us to submit out creations?    Also, are you working out of the Lockheed station in Denver, Co?

Please post your submission in this thread.  

The spacecraft was built at Lockheed in (Waterton) Denver, CO.  I have visited many times, but I work at Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland.

To the ModuleManager community:

Would anyone be willing to make a patch to the RSS files that has them start the game in the same configuration as they will be in on September 8, 2016, and add the Bennu mod to it, too?

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:26 PM, IonStorm said:

Here is a video of the spacecraft being spin-balanced at K(ennedy)SC.  It is critical to keep the center of area and the center of mass at the same spot since the solar pressure close to the force of gravity at Bennu.  For anyone making an OSIRIS-REx model, this should give a nice view.

I'd take a look at this.

What did you use for the sides?

Edited by Dman979

6 minutes ago, Wonderbreadninja said:

@IonStorm I am confused about one thing in the design,  Are the solar panels equal to or greater then the top of the frame?  I have seen numerous pictures with both style.  thanks!

Good progress.  This image should also help answer your question.

igqgTV3.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Why is it needed?

It seems like it would get in the way.

It improves thermal stability and thus performance of the antenna http://mars.nasa.gov/maven/multimedia/images/?ImageID=5171

9 minutes ago, Wonderbreadninja said:

@IonStorm are the 4 smaller dish looking things in the CAD drawing behind the main dish?

The ones, for example on p61?  Those are reaction wheels.

HERE IS MY OFFICIAL ENTRY, YAY!

Hello Fellow Kerbalteers!  

After long hours of fun, I am proud to present my entry for Category 2: Recreation with unlimited mod use!  I hope that the layout of this post will satisfy the requirements needed for an entry, if not please let me know what I need to add.  It was really fun to make and I enjoyed this opportunity to mimic a future mission.  Many thanks to @IonStorm and all the people at Lockheed Martin and NASA!  Best of luck on the mission!

SPECS:

597 Part Count

50,330 kg

MOD LIST:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m00QdBUPDV2SGG7IkvDHvgengk5zojpIpswMa5xS4u4/edit?usp=sharing

IMAGE GALLERY:

VIDEO PRESENTATION:

You can view my commentated video here: 

55 minutes ago, Nefrums said:

It is a bit hard to do a model using stock parts, and still get a wet/dry mass resembling the real thing. Structural panels are just to heavy to be of any use.

But I'll give it a try! :)

Good point.  Since 1 and 2 are a beauty pageant, I'll remove the mass restriction.

3 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

I'll do this when there's a Bennu mod. I have RO and RSS. Glad this challenge is up. But for now, I must set up a satellite network in orbit.  

There is a Bennu mod, works well for both RSS and stock. Look a few posts up

This is a fun and very difficult challenge.  

I'm build something that roughly resembles OSIRIS-REx using only stock parts,  I will use this to recreate the mission in KSP universe.

Wet mass is spot on, but dry it is 30 kg to heavy.  It even has a sampler arm that hopefully will poke the asteroid a bit. :)  (Sample transfer will be left to the imagination)

It will be sent to space by a rocket with the right stages but a reduced dV of 4080 m/s that I think is close to the analog of the real one in KSP universe.

Here is a teaser pic of the craft leaving Kerbin.

3SPqZm7.jpg

Getting an intercept with Bennu was really hard as ksp for some reason don't give you the intercept distance unless you get your trajectory within SoI of the target bodies trajectory, in this case it is less than 2km.  

I did finally manage to get an intercept when I was about 1000km from Bennu.

The method I used was to hyperedit a dummy craft to a 1680m orbit of Bennu. This caused the dummy craft to exit Bennus SoI, and I could target the dummy craft. 

This is a very inaccurate method as I am targeting something that moves away from Bennu and setting up an intercept with that years after it left Bennu. 

I had to repeat the process several times to get more accuracy.

Edited by Nefrums

9 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

BTW, for everyone with mad modeling skills (not really...) it is possible to get the OSIRIS-REx model and port it to KSP: http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/osirisrex-2013-comp.

Blender can import .lwo files but the animations (solar arrays, sample arm) must be done from scratch. And it needs an SRC on top of that.

I am already talking with @IonStorm , making a mod :) , I already have everything modeled and animated, working on textures,

Edited by Tristonwilson12

2 minutes ago, Nefrums said:

The .cfg files for both stock and RSS are in the same zip.

They are config files used by Kopernicus mod.

ahhh ok, .. so.. RSS vers not RSS .. understood now.

Edited by Fyrem

Here is my entry for category 3.   (It might also qualify for category 1 and 5).

I mostly looked at the trajectories on http://www.asteroidmission.org/mission/#cruise and tried to mimic those in the Kerbol System.

Total dV used was 4854 m/s.

Please tell me if you want more images, I have hundreds of screenshots from the mission.

12 hours ago, Tristonwilson12 said:

I already have everything modeled and animated, working on textures

Most excellent! I was awaiting from RaiderNick to make some additions to the US Probes Pack with the hope of including it but i am glad to hear that you have made progress.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.