OSIRIS-REx Asteroid Sample Return

57 minutes ago, Kandjk said:

Do I have to download Kopernicus for the examples to work?

Yes

1 hour ago, Kandjk said:

Ahhh thanks it said 0.002 - 0.0065 I probably misread it

Is Kopernicus compatible with ksp 1.1 pre-release?

I don't know, I personally won't even be looking at 1.1 until it's fully released. So everything I do will be for 1.0.5 until there's a formal 1.1 release of kopernicus

OK, now the hackiest hack that ever did hack.  I've mucked about with Custom Asteroids mod, and gotten Bennu to spawn in more or less the right place for a stock Kerbol universe. 

1) install Custom Asteroids, an amazing mod by Starstrider42

2) Drop this config file in the GameData\CustomAsteroids\config\ directory.  Delete the other files in there if you don't want Jool asteroids and comets, stuff that comes with CustomAsteroids

3) Start KSP

4) Go to Tracking Station and warp for a bit until an object appears near Kerbin/Duna orbits.

5) Track it.  If it has BENNU in the name, that's the one.  If not unfollow it and repeat 4)

6) If it's not a class you like, unfollow it and repeat 4)

7) Fly there!

Edit: If you are having trouble with this, message me and I'll try to help if I can.  I'll update this post with better instructions or links if something isn't working.  We don't want to clutter this thread more than absolutely neccessary with tech support stuff

Edited by Jetski

2 minutes ago, Jetski said:

OK, now the hackiest hack that ever did hack.  I've mucked about with Custom Asteroids mod, and gotten Bennu to spawn in more or less the right place for a stock Kerbol universe. 

1) install Custom Asteroids, an amazing mod by Starstrider42

2) Drop this config file in the GameData\CustomAsteroids\config\ directory.  Delete the other files in there if you don't want Jool asteroids and comets, stuff that comes with CustomAsteroids

3) Start KSP

4) Go to Tracking Station and warp for a bit until an object appears near Kerbin/Duna orbits.

5) Track it.  If it has BENNU in the name, that's the one.  If not repeat 4)

6) Fly there!

Outside or inside jool orbit?

Just now, Kandjk said:

Outside or inside jool orbit?

Bennu is wandering between Earth and Mars, so I put this one in between Duna and Kerbin, scaled down from the info in the PDF.  Shouldn't have anything to do with Jool?

Just now, Jetski said:

Bennu is wandering between Earth and Mars, so I put this one in between Duna and Kerbin, scaled down from the info in the PDF.  Shouldn't have anything to do with Jool?

The thing asks for the install thing to be for custom ones outside or inside jool orbit

2 minutes ago, Kandjk said:

The thing asks for the install thing to be for custom ones outside or inside jool orbit

Must be a CKAN thing.  If you install directly from the link in my post I think it's fine.  Shouldn't matter anyway.  Just drop my BennuRoid.cfg config file in the CustomAsteroids/config directory, delete everything else in the directory (unless you want extra asteroids inside Jool or whatever).

Edit: I'm well aware that this isn't the correct way to distribute a mod file.  I welcome suggestions on a better way to do this, this is my first time messing with anything mod-related.

Edited by Jetski

I talked to Mike Nolan (whom you've cited) about getting data to help with the Bennu model.  I'll post the higher resolution (but fictional) version when Mike gets it to me.

They can probably use the .obj: it’s pretty common in 3-d land. If not, they should say what they want and we can make it.

http://www.naic.edu/~pradar/Bennu/Bennu.published.obj

They may want the 49000-facet version from Bob Gaskell, as it’s prettier. We can get that too, but I don’t have it lying around.

1 hour ago, Kandjk said:

So are we not using RSS anymore?

@KillAshley is working on a far better RSS version than anything I can produce, so I hacked together a stock version that uses the asteroid system instead of a planet.  It requires CustomAsteroids mod, and a config file that I made (see above).  and some messing about warping in Tracking Station to make the right asteroid spawn.  I make absolutely no guarantees of anything, and have no idea what I'm doing :)

That said, here's my stock mission to Bennu:

Not particularly accurate in really any way, but hey, it's a first try!

Edited by Jetski

4 hours ago, IonStorm said:

I talked to Mike Nolan (whom you've cited) about getting data to help with the Bennu model.  I'll post the higher resolution (but fictional) version when Mike gets it to me.

They can probably use the .obj: it’s pretty common in 3-d land. If not, they should say what they want and we can make it.

http://www.naic.edu/~pradar/Bennu/Bennu.published.obj

They may want the 49000-facet version from Bob Gaskell, as it’s prettier. We can get that too, but I don’t have it lying around.

very cool man, makes it a little better to get the right shape, ill see if i can create a good representation from the model (after a little subdivision of the mesh :P)

still gonna be a little tricky to get the exact features onto a spherical heightmap for use in game, however i SHOULd be able to get a pretty close approximation of the shape itself and procedurally generate the surface closer up

4 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

still gonna be a little tricky to get the exact features onto a spherical heightmap for use in game, however i SHOULd be able to get a pretty close approximation of the shape itself and procedurally generate the surface closer up

20 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

You should get Realism Overhaul, with its planet expansion pack (featuring a lot of asteroids and comets, including Churyumov-Gerasimenko, Halley, etc). Seriously, it is completely amazing. It even has Sedna. Friggin' SEDNA.

Actually, if 67/P is there Bennu should be easy.

4 hours ago, Jetski said:

Not particularly accurate in really any way, but hey, it's a first try!

Way better than my first attempt (bonus:  guess the version of KSP).

2 hours ago, KillAshley said:

very cool man, makes it a little better to get the right shape, ill see if i can create a good representation from the model (after a little subdivision of the mesh :P)

How do you change heightmap?

58 minutes ago, Jetski said:

I think that's part of the challenge. Make something cool!

I really want to make it realistic but I don't know much about what to do :/ I know the very basics though.

Edited by Kandjk

Just found out what a .obj is. @KillAshley Am I able to import it to unity 4.6.4 ( The current one ) then atleast TRY to get it to work as a texture for Bennu in KSP?

( The one that IonStorm sent a link to )

Also I found this: pa_collage.jpg

Edited by Kandjk

52 minutes ago, Kandjk said:

@IonStorm If you know how to can you setup some code for a General Mission Analysis Tool ( a.k.a. GMAT ) If you want to and/or know how too thanks!

Or any other Open Source windows compatible software would be great. I don't know how to use GMAT

Nope.  We did our analysis with STK, and by "we" I mean a team of skilled navigators for years from NASA Goddard*, KinetX, and Lockheed Martin not including me.  Besides a Project Scientist specializes in "why" Engineers specialize in "how." :) 

*Steven Hughes is a creator of GMAT but did not work directly on OSIRIS-REx. 

1 minute ago, IonStorm said:

Nope.  We did our analysis with STK, and by "we" I mean a team of skilled navigators for years from NASA Goddard*, KinetX, and Lockheed Martin not including me.  Besides a Project Scientist specializes in "why" Engineers specialize in "how." :) 

Ahh okay thanks! :D

1 minute ago, IonStorm said:

I need a license for it :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Kandjk said:

I need a license for it :rolleyes:

And it ain't cheap.  But some universities have site licenses, perhaps you have access.  There is also a free viewer or something, but I'm on a Mac so I can't use it.  It is also overkill unless you want to launch it for real anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.