OSIRIS-REx Asteroid Sample Return

On 5/1/2016 at 1:14 AM, Jetski said:

Just a suggestion - HyperEdit a probe core next to Bennu (outside its SOI, if it even has one) and then use that as a target to approach it like a docking is intended.

Hmm, nice idea :) Gonna try that.

And realized i never posted an image of my design, stock parts + MJ is on there for the test flights :wink: . Slightly lighter than the real thing atm, but was planning to refine the design after the test flights.

Spoiler

vnt7qZ0.png

Edited by MarkoeZ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What are the parameters for an asteroid supposed to be in Realism Overhaul, exactly? Just asking. In my save, there are 3 captured in Earth orbit. There are also a crepe-ton of them outside Earth's SOI, that are about to fall into said SOI.

Edited by Matuchkin

Here is a video of the spacecraft being spin-balanced at K(ennedy)SC.  It is critical to keep the center of area and the center of mass at the same spot since the solar pressure close to the force of gravity at Bennu.  For anyone making an OSIRIS-REx model, this should give a nice view.

Edited by IonStorm

On 3/31/2016 at 10:31 AM, KillAshley said:

Simply install Kopernicus and then download the .zip file below and extract it into your GameData folder. It will run by itself from then.

Download

The download link is giving me a 404 error.  I REALLY want to try this challenge with my New Horisons install.  

13 hours ago, Dunrana said:

The download link is giving me a 404 error.  I REALLY want to try this challenge with my New Horisons install.  

Same here =( I was super excited to find this, and was looking forward to trying out this mission.  KillAshley is pretty awesome, so I imagine it'll be fixed soon =)

unfortunately it seems i accidentally deleted the files while cleaning my dropbox out. I don't have any kind of backup available unfortunately :(

perhaps there is someone out there who has a copy of it and will re upload it for me

EDIT:

luckily the file was still in my recent deleted files so i was able to restore it. link should work again now!

Edited by KillAshley

I'll try this, although I'll probably try it with my Spartan Space Program install, minus RemoteTech because that would mean about a month of writing kOS scripts and/or getting a comms network up.

insert shameless plug here

--------------

From watching the video of the trajectory, it looks like the one-way trip time is about 1.5 years. Is this correct?

(For my year estimate I was watching Earth's orbit.)

Edited by DaMachinator

35 minutes ago, DaMachinator said:

From watching the video of the trajectory, it looks like the one-way trip time is about 1.5 years. Is this correct?

(For my year estimate I was watching Earth's orbit.)

This schedule from https://dslauretta.com/2015/02/08/the-osiris-rex-heavy-launch-opportunity/ is a bit out of date, but the arrival and departure dates are still accurate, so closer to two years to "arrive."  The definition of arrive depends on if you define it as first imaging by a camera, navigating based on Bennu landmarks, or entering an orbit.  This is between 712 and 826 days in this figure.  (We have since moved around some margin based on solar distance, Sun-Bennu-Earth angle for telecom, and "human factors" aka letting people sleep a little.)  

A complexity I think ignored by RemoteTech (though I haven't done much outside stock KSP myself) is there are certain positions a spacecraft cannot be in.  Many spacecraft, such as OSIRIS-REx  (or Hubble for that matter) have "keep-out" zones to prevent the cameras and other optical instruments from looking at the Sun and damaging them. Since the OSIRIS-REx high-gain antenna (HGA) is fixed there are orientations where pointing the antenna at Earth also risks pointing the instruments at the Sun.  We do have movable solar arrays (S/A) so the constraint of pointing the HGA at Earth, not pointing the instrument deck at the Sun, but pointing the S/A at the Sun is easier for us.  RemoteTech might handle the problem of the Sun being between the Earth and the spacecraft, I don't recall.

Good luck!

heavy-launch-timeline-impacts.png?w=1276

Hi, @IonStorm!

This seems like a really cool challenge, and I'm definitely interested in participating.

I wonder if it's possible to let us know the times for any midcouse corrections, if there are any. I'd like to match that up, if I can.

Also, if I read correctly, the due date is in September? Is that right?

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

I wonder if it's possible to let us know the times for any midcouse corrections, if there are any. I'd like to match that up, if I can.

Details are in a presentation by our Deputy Systems Engineer, Ron Mink at http://gsfcir.gsfc.nasa.gov/colloquia/4942/touchstone-the-osiris-rex-design-reference-mission at about 22:45 into the lecture.  The first Deep Space Maneuver (DSM-1) is January 9, 2017.  There is an Earth Gravity Assist (EGA) September 22, 2017.  DSM-2 is November 21, 2017.  

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

Also, if I read correctly, the due date is in September? Is that right?

I picked launch+30 days as the due date, which puts the due date no earlier than October 8, 2016 (depending on the weather in Florida the previous month).  If that is widely believed to be insufficient, I can be persuaded to extend it

P.S. Congratulations on going to Philmont.

18 hours ago, IonStorm said:

This schedule from https://dslauretta.com/2015/02/08/the-osiris-rex-heavy-launch-opportunity/ is a bit out of date, but the arrival and departure dates are still accurate, so closer to two years to "arrive."  The definition of arrive depends on if you define it as first imaging by a camera, navigating based on Bennu landmarks, or entering an orbit.  This is between 712 and 826 days in this figure.  (We have since moved around some margin based on solar distance, Sun-Bennu-Earth angle for telecom, and "human factors" aka letting people sleep a little.)  

A complexity I think ignored by RemoteTech (though I haven't done much outside stock KSP myself) is there are certain positions a spacecraft cannot be in.  Many spacecraft, such as OSIRIS-REx  (or Hubble for that matter) have "keep-out" zones to prevent the cameras and other optical instruments from looking at the Sun and damaging them. Since the OSIRIS-REx high-gain antenna (HGA) is fixed there are orientations where pointing the antenna at Earth also risks pointing the instruments at the Sun.  We do have movable solar arrays (S/A) so the constraint of pointing the HGA at Earth, not pointing the instrument deck at the Sun, but pointing the S/A at the Sun is easier for us.  RemoteTech might handle the problem of the Sun being between the Earth and the spacecraft, I don't recall.

Good luck!

heavy-launch-timeline-impacts.png?w=1276

RemoteTech does handle signal loss because something is in the way, but not that pointing sensitive instruments at the sun is a bad idea. There is a mod, called CactEye, which adds telescopes...don't point them at the sun.

Also, if I'm really crazy, I might try this with no manual control at all, instead writing a kOS script to run the entire mission.

Edited by DaMachinator

A) Is there a working Kopernicus Bennu mod for 1.1.2?

B) If anyone wants a nice Atlas V and Centaur (Twin and Single engine variants) check out the Bluedog Design Bureau mod by @CobaltWolf 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by NotAgain
SP&G

4 minutes ago, NotAgain said:

B) If anyone wants a nice Atlas V and Centaur (Twin and Single engine variants) check out the Bluedog Design Bureau mod by @CobaltWolf 

Just skimmed some of the thread real quick - My parts currently do not have RSS/RO compatibility. If you are just looking for RSS, Real Scale Boosters by @NecroBones might be better. 

If you need AJ-60 SRBs, you'll need to grab them from KW Rocketry or something since I do not have them yet.

@IonStorm,

how do you want the thing presented? And in which version of KSP? Are there points for visual mods? DO you want documentation? A design notebook?

Do you think you could lay out the rules a bit more formally? I like making replicas that are true-to-life, but since this follows engineering principles, I'd rather aim for a balance between accuracy and points here.

Hi there!

Long time i havent posted in the forums, but this made me come back to say i will be giving it a shot! Stock tho, i never really got into mods too much :)

Also wanted to say I actually found out about this via the news, and i think it is great that NASA and KSP are helping each other, and more importantly bringing people closer to space and science in general. Ionstorm, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar! Keep it up! :)

22 minutes ago, 3mon said:

Hi there!

Long time i havent posted in the forums, but this made me come back to say i will be giving it a shot! Stock tho, i never really got into mods too much :)

Also wanted to say I actually found out about this via the news, and i think it is great that NASA and KSP are helping each other, and more importantly bringing people closer to space and science in general. Ionstorm, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar! Keep it up! :)

Welcome back, 3mon!

Space is everywhere. You cannot hide. Of course, with your avatar, I'm sure you already know that. :P

I saw it on the news, too, but I saw it here first.

On June 16, 2016 at 0:07 PM, Dman979 said:

how do you want the thing presented? And in which version of KSP? Are there points for visual mods? DO you want documentation? A design notebook?

Do you think you could lay out the rules a bit more formally? I like making replicas that are true-to-life, but since this follows engineering principles, I'd rather aim for a balance between accuracy and points here.

These are good questions and I don't have immediate answers of what is fun, challenging, and reasonable, as my personal experience is messing around in stock KSP and watching Scott Manley and Bob Fitch videos.  

Categories:

1. Most accurate spacecraft reproduction in stock KSP with no mods
  2. Most accurate spacecraft reproduction with unlimited use of mods
  3. Most accurate reproduction of OSIRIS-REx mission design in the KSP universe (unlimited mods)
  4. Most accurate reproduction of OSIRIS-REx mission design in RSS/RO (unlimited mods)
  5. Lowest ∆V OSIRIS-REx mission design in the KSP universe to (unlimited mods)
  6. Lowest ∆V OSIRIS-REx mission design in RSS/RO (unlimited mods)
  7. Consolation prize for funniest and most epic fail

Proof: For 1 and 2 the .craft file (and list of mods for 2) and images are sufficient, but additional explanatory video appreciated. For 3-6 images or a single explanatory video of launch, maneuvers, and each mission phase.  Please read the posts in the thread, http://www.asteroidmission.org, https://dslauretta.comhttp://gsfcir.gsfc.nasa.gov/colloquia/4942/touchstone-the-osiris-rex-design-reference-mission, https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/osiris-rex/index.htmlhttps://www.facebook.com/OSIRISREx/https://www.youtube.com/osirisrexhttps://www.instagram.com/osiris_rex/https://plus.google.com/+OSIRISRExMission/postshttps://twitter.com/OSIRISREx, etc. for the details on these phases, the spacecraft, the payload, and the sampling system.

Limits: KSP version 1.0 or newer is permitted, the most recent version is preferred.  Propulsion systems for 1-4 are chemical and the spacecraft is monoprop.  For 5-6 propulsion systems are limited to those plausibly available (e.g. chemical, ion, nuclear, aerospike, etc.) but not future technologies with no real-world prototype (e.g. no fusion, fission, warp, etc.).  For 5 and 6, mission duration cannot be longer than 15 years.  Low ∆V missions which to not adequately survey Bennu will not be considered. In categories 2-7 all mods/plugins must be listed.  Any custom-made mods/plugins and .craft files must be supplied.  All missions (categories 3-7) must have a launch wet mass of 2110 kg and encounter an object of Bennu's mass and size, such as the one generously created by @KillAshley's Kopernicus.

Judging: I will judge the fidelity of the submission to the mission and reserve the right to solicit the input of members of the OSIRIS-REx team.

Are these rules fun and fair?  If so, I'll add them to the front post or accept suggestions to modify them to maximize your entertainment and education.

Edited by IonStorm
Edited wet mass requirements for cat1 and KSP version number

@IonStorm it can save you some repetition if you post the rules above on the opening page (in a spoiler tag if it's getting cluttered), plus a the link to grab the RSS and stock version of the Bennu mod. The way the forum pages work here its hard to find stuff without reading every single post in a challenge. 

also do I get a consolation prize for giving this a rough attempt back before it was news :)

Edit: also, we have seen in the Bennu mod that the SOI is so small as to make intercept difficult with KSP intercept engine. If anyone goes through the trouble to Hyperedit a probe there (as a target to simplify manouvers), share your savegame!  It will be a fidgety process, so it might be nice to have a savegame easy to download in the right epoch with a target already set up. Not at my computer for a few days, but I'll try if nobody else gets to it.

Edited by Jetski

27 minutes ago, Jetski said:

@IonStorm it can save you some repetition if you post the rules above on the opening page (in a spoiler tag if it's getting cluttered), plus a the link to grab the RSS and stock version of the Bennu mod. The way the forum pages work here its hard to find stuff without reading every single post in a challenge. 

My plan exactly.  Once I hear if the rules I created are reasonable.

28 minutes ago, Jetski said:

If anyone goes through the trouble to Hyperedit a probe there (as a target to simplify manouvers), share your savegame!  

Please.  And one for both RSS and stock.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.