A Quick Question on Event Horizons

cubinator

I've been playing with Space Engine, and the new black holes show warping realistically. I have been experimenting, flying by and into black holes, and I found that the universe seems to invert itself as you fall into it, and you see a disc with all the stars and around you is blackness. Then the disc shrinks to nothing. Here is a series of images showing a descent:

My question is:

Is this the event horizon?

It appears that I'm on the 'surface'. There is black hole below me, and sky above me.

Or is this the event horizon?

The sky shrinks to nothing, all is dark.

If I shined a laser towards the disc here:

The shrinking disc of the sky

Would the laser escape? Clearly light can enter this far, but am I actually inside the black hole, past the point of no return? Space Engine indicates that I'm still some distance from the black hole's surface, but it's a little wonky with these objects. 

I don't think we know. I don't think ANYONE knows what is in a black hole. It's probably impossible to know as well, but when it goes all black I think you are in the event horizon, since there is no more light.

Edited by legoclone09

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

I've been playing with Space Engine, and the new black holes show warping realistically. I have been experimenting, flying by and into black holes, and I found that the universe seems to invert itself as you fall into it, and you see a disc with all the stars and around you is blackness. Then the disc shrinks to nothing. Here is a series of images showing a descent:

My question is:

Is this the event horizon?

It appears that I'm on the 'surface'. There is black hole below me, and sky above me.

Or is this the event horizon?

The sky shrinks to nothing, all is dark.

If I shined a laser towards the disc here:

The shrinking disc of the sky

Would the laser escape? Clearly light can enter this far, but am I actually inside the black hole, past the point of no return? Space Engine indicates that I'm still some distance from the black hole's surface, but it's a little wonky with these objects. 

Just like KSP shows more energetic hyperbolics with decreasing orbital period times. You ever here mark twains extrapolation of the lower mississippi growth rates. When you enter the event horizon, time is still moving for the rest of the universe but for you it has stopped, from our point of view what you see in the hole in meaningless because you have merged with a singularity, the information you add to the hole cannot be retrieved until the last bit of Hawkings radiation is emmitted. IOW you cross the event horizon and trillions of years later the black hole explodes in high energy gamma, and that was you. I think that schwartzfield radius and event horizon efficiently reduces the complexity of everything to atoms and passing the event horizon atoms are probably reduced to their subatomic energies in their time frame, and then reduced to pure energy at such time they radiate.

5 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

How far fetched would it be to say black holes are the absolute key to everything? That they hold all of the universes secrets. Give it a thousand years maybe we'll be able to look into them.

fixion.png

Sorry to interrupt these discussions, and I know black holes are very interesting, but my question was:

On 3/29/2016 at 8:28 PM, cubinator said:

am I actually inside the black hole, past the point of no return?

Sorry, but I'd like to leave discussions about other aspects of black holes to a different thread. I am wondering what I would see at the moment I was about to pass the event horizon. :)

Edited by cubinator

30 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Sorry to interrupt these discussions, and I know black holes are very interesting, but my question was:

Sorry, but I'd like to leave discussions about other aspects of black holes to a different thread. I am wondering what I would see at the moment I was about to pass the event horizon. :)

If it will make you happy I will say Yes, maybe (I can't say on a keyboard, hmm I wonder if its because the keyboard is in a black hole and words don't escape?).

41 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Well what you might see in real life is likely different to what you would actually see if you went inside the event horizon of a real black hole, although of course we don't really have much of a clue about the inside of a real event horizon. What you'll see inside the game is dependent on how the black holes are modeled.

Inferred from spacetime coordinates, curvature and lightcones, the future (direction you're heading to) is not viewable for you. Given that everything can only moves even closer to the central singularity (no, event horizon is just a false singularity, a coordinate one - take another coordinate and it's gone), information can only be devoured from outside the horizon. There's a probability you'll, instead of being in complete darkness, experience massive γ-ray radiation from outside of the blackhole. The only thing that will be relevant here is how big that light blob would be seen, and that have something to do with lightcones. Guess this is why people say you can enter sufficiently massive black hole without any notice, apart that you might think you escaped the universe.

Though, that's no better than betting with string physics. Really, we don't know. And for those who want to refer interstellar movie, I'll tell you it's just a plot device, the whole science of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.