Unity5, Steam pre-release, and mod development

Hey folks,

So as we all know, KSP is moving to Unity5 and that's going to mean that probably all mods will cease to work. I don't want to get the pre-release, since I want to play a little more with my current saves anyway. Now, I've made two mods, none has been like hugely popular, but one of them had some success, as it has had about 30,000+ downloads between curse and kerbalstuff, since august last year, so I think it would be nice of me to re-work it for 1.1 with some beautification and some new parts. So my question is, is there any documentation on how are .mu files and .cfg files supposed to work in unity5 or anything that would help me get working on updating the mod for the release? I've tried looking elsewhere on the internet but I haven't found anything yet. Any help would be greatly appreaciated

25 minutes ago, nestor_d said:

Hey folks,

So as we all know, KSP is moving to Unity5 and that's going to mean that probably all mods will cease to work. I don't want to get the pre-release, since I want to play a little more with my current saves anyway. Now, I've made two mods, none has been like hugely popular, but one of them had some success, as it has had about 30,000+ downloads between curse and kerbalstuff, since august last year, so I think it would be nice of me to re-work it for 1.1 with some beautification and some new parts. So my question is, is there any documentation on how are .mu files and .cfg files supposed to work in unity5 or anything that would help me get working on updating the mod for the release? I've tried looking elsewhere on the internet but I haven't found anything yet. Any help would be greatly appreaciated

I don't have the game on Steam, but can't you install the base game AND the prerelease at the same time? I thought they were separate installs.

If you're willing to forego the "benefits" of playing through Steam, you can always copy your game to another folder to play there, and then when you activate the prerelease it'll not overwrite your active games. Then you can do whatever modding stuff you need to do on the Steam version of the game.

The new PartTools should still support .mu files so I don't think it will be much work to get parts working in the update

On 1/25/2016 at 2:12 PM, SQUAD said:

The new PartTools uses Unity AssetBundles rather than .mu files and will therefore allow every standard Unity object to be included in mods. Hopefully this will lead to new and interesting mods after the release of 1.1. The AssetBundles can be loaded as part of the main loading method or delayed and loaded & unloaded on-demand whilst the game is running. The old Mu files and loading methods will of course still be supported.

1. The pre release is not out yet. Wait for it before asking question since those who have the answer are under NDA
  2. The modders in the exp team got some info on how to upgrade ready to share once the pre release is out.
  3. You can easily move your current install somewhere else and then ask Steam to get the pre release, then move it somewhere and move your original 1.0 back (after setting KSP back to the 1.0 version).

PS : this sub forum is still not about .cfg and .mu...

9 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't have the game on Steam, but can't you install the base game AND the prerelease at the same time? I thought they were separate installs.

If you're willing to forego the "benefits" of playing through Steam, you can always copy your game to another folder to play there, and then when you activate the prerelease it'll not overwrite your active games. Then you can do whatever modding stuff you need to do on the Steam version of the game.

And you can still attach it to Steam.

just wait and see, I think the fear of things breaking is little over exaggerated. 

Plugins will probably see the most breakage as expected. Parts will suffer little less. Unless Squad completely redid the part module system which doesn't seem to be the case.

On 29/3/2016 at 10:23 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I don't have the game on Steam, but can't you install the base game AND the prerelease at the same time?

On 29/3/2016 at 10:24 PM, xEvilReeperx said:

The new PartTools should still support .mu files so I don't think it will be much work to get parts working in the update

21 hours ago, sarbian said:
  1. The pre release is not out yet. Wait for it before asking question since those who have the answer are under NDA

Thanks a lot guys! For some reason I thought the pre-release was out already, hence my question. Also yeah, now that it is finally out, I see a lot of things broke a lot less than anticipated, and a lot is basically the same, I even got most of my mod parts to work :D. And I ended up doing two separate installs. I was worried cause I was running out of HD space, but I deleted a bunch of stuff and now have the two versions

It's often in your best interest to have two (or more) installs of KSP anyways. One is for your main game playing, while the other is for testing your mods or other mods. That way, you'll know which one you can actually mess with things with limited mod installation to track down what you did wrong or adjusting values. True, it does take some more HDD space, but in the long run you'll have two working game installs and can actually test new versions out before applying them to your game time version when it's viable to do so. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.