Space Shuttle Endurance

First time post.  I wanted to share my latest shuttle iteration that makes use of the Shuttle Lifting Body parts pack, IR and some custom texturing. My goal with the project was to build a functional shuttle platform to assemble an ISS replica as it was built.  I'm not even close to done, but you can check me out.  I re-textured most of the mk3 parts to be white and created some new wings and strakes with ablator for the underside.  

Vessel Mass: 1267 t

Delta-V: ~5000 m/s 

Max thrust: 4.732 MN

Thanks for checking it out!  

Edited by SpitfireAcademy

Thanks buddy, it's been a long road, trust me!  I just love the space shuttle.  I wanted something that was really multi-functional and somewhat realistic.

Here's an amazing resource that i've been using to model my ISS construction missions: 

http://www.nss.org:8080/resources/library/shuttlevideos/index.htm

Also check out http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/index.html for mission animations and robotic assembly.

Also put up some new pics of the P6 truss assembly with the Canadarm.

Now this looks really cool. I've tried to use robotic arms to build ISS replicas in the past, but I've never succeeded entirely. The arm is just too hard to use most of the time. I'd love the craft file and textures, just so I can break it down and have a closer look at how you're doing things in this masterpiece :) 

Edited by MrMeeb

• 2 weeks later...

I use Shuttle Lifting Body for the shuttle parts (which is a GODSEND, thank you Pak!), CX Aerospace for the station parts, Fuel Tanks Plus for the main tank, KW Rocketry for the Thor boosters (of which 4 are clipped into each stack), Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is an absolute must for stabilizing the arm when moving payload, Infernal Robotics for the rotating payload bay and arm (arm uses the Canadarm parts pack -- works with IR) I use Trajectories for landing guidance and a healthy dash of Mechjeb because trying to manually fly a shuttle can be pretty unforgiving.  I maneuver, dock and land manually but to hit a reliable rendezvous I highly recommended using the ascent guidance.

Here are the custom parts I made (followed by where to put them)

Jon (\GameData)

shuttleWings (\GameData\Squad\Parts\Aero)

mk3CockpitShuttle (\GameData\Squad\Parts\Command)

mk3CargoBay (\GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility)

Also replace the Comorant Aeronology folder for ablator functionality

I'm currently looking for help refining the ablator parameters of my parts, the ablator is working but it takes a lot of heat to get it to burn away, I'd appreciate anyone who can help decifer what the following parameters mean and how I can modify them to make the ablator burn off faster.  The Wiki was no help as these parameters aren't even listed:

mass = 0.5
    thermalMassModifier = 8.0
    heatConductivity = 0.06 // half default
    emissiveConstant = 0.95
    dragModelType = none
    maximum_drag = 0.02
    minimum_drag = 0.02
    angularDrag = 2
    crashTolerance = 15
    maxTemp = 2400
    explosionPotential = 0.1
    fuelCrossFeed = True
    bulkheadProfiles = srf

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAblator
        ablativeResource = Ablator
        lossExp = -7500
        lossConst = 0.1
        pyrolysisLossFactor = 6000
        reentryConductivity = 0.01
        ablationTempThresh = 500
    }

Thanks for all your interested and kind words.

As far as the craft file is concerned, there are a half dozen or so smaller mods I use for things like lights, solar, IR reskins, and hull cameras that would likely make doing so a headache.

If you really want to try, here is the craft file along with a screen shot of my gamedata folder.  You will likely need a few additional mods to open the file that I can't recall at the moment:( good luck!

I have to say my own stock shuttles look like crap now.

must...upgrade...computer...for...massive...modding...:P

using old beast laptop. :(

but this looks awesome, will have to see if the parts pack will tip me over the edge on memory. I already have mechjeb to do flight. As you said, flying a shuttle manually is like strapping a cat to a rocket and calling it a shuttle.

nothing is in line for the CoM and thrust vector. All of your control surfaces don't behave proper. Is just frustrating to do manual.

props for the design dude!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.