Interstellar Travel Modernization

RenegadeRad

About me - 

Introduction to the topic -

Even though we know a lot about space, and are extremely advanced to know stuff, there is something holding us back. We have only sent man to the moon and nowhere else. And we are a lot far behind than our thinking, and in someway our seeds of doubts and community problems is stopping us. I know many of you may disagree, but yes I do point out that I am not completely right about this. My aim you see, is to improve space travel, by using the best methods. Note that I just wanted to improve the technique, but philosophy before is a must, heh. Please note that to add your ideas and thinking to this thread in a kind way, don't be hypocrites pls <3 

The main aspects are -

1) Philosophy/Society

2) Techniques

Philosophy

If we see humanity from a perspective, we can see the world is a bit bleeped up. People are deep in philosophies which only makes a person deep in doubt and without any motivation, even when they think that they are right (may contain irony). People are overly sensitive for everything, even the wrong. Wanting equality for those who are not normals (gay people and all are normal, I am not pointing them out lol, I'm pointing out the hypocritical backward thinking people who are sadists, and are mostly found everywhere as well as always create barriers in development through their pointless but non arguable ideologies) and we fight for equality of groups RATHER than individuals. There should not be an organisation specifically for blacks, women or stuff, but an organisation for only the individual who is suffering as just fighting for groups is not easy as people misuse it and create even more inequality, and people with idiotic ideologies come in it and misuse it as a weapon. This will only bring us together and solve bigotry issue in the world. We be more aligned towards knowledge and creativity and science! Be happy together in a delightful world. See the point is not to make the world completely good because that's impossible, but to make it more comfortable for evolution to take its pace.

Techniques

Back to topic, first of all I have this dream of making an "International Space and Analogy Organisation" where we unite as species, all the space agencies of the world, combining the best of technologies, combining the best of technologies to create even better technologies! I also made a logo (yea I do graphics) - http://i.imgur.com/ff0riIJ.png

Now the main tension, many of you might know that rockets were not always the best method to get into space and were solely made to win in the space race. You may also disagree, and you are good at your points, still, there are better methods such as spaceplanes, spacehooks, nuclear pulse propulsion, space bridges (idiotic imo) and spaceguns (serious g's will be taken)

The problem is that when we need to launch a rocket, in order to go to another planet, we compromise a lot, as 80% of the rocket is fuel. And due to that we are not able to create a comfortable ride to outer space, even the fuel is 60% used when we get outta orbit. Satellites are different, I am talking about man in space. So how do we not compromise too much, but still have reusable methods of interstellar travel with minimum effort? The answer is mother ships.

How you ask? there are 3 components of this - The Explorer and The Mothership and The Rescue ship

Mothership -

If we part by part build a fully functional mothership (not too big, but enough, you see we will make it as small as possible but still it will be so big that it could not actually be sent into space through rockets, but in parts) just like we built the ISS, and the mother ship will be the "International Space Mothership (ISM)" which will be upgraded with the best of technologies again and again, and it can travel between planets easily, as all the effort of the world will be on this, and it may not fail. When not in use, it will orbit the earth. The con is that we would need to keep it safe, so we can send someone from the ISS to take care of it and constantly send probes to keep it intact. Another problem is that there is over 30000 pieces of debris which travel at speeds up to 23,000 km/h around the earth, which is again, dangerous. We can make the ship circular to create artificial gravity through centrifuge

Example - https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJO6P4CrEDb1kEnJxZW_qwz1ESLNzMtuUXlwk6m2ZsHgg5TtbR

Explorer -

To keep it simple, It will be more like a space plane which is like a drone - rocket (Hey, aerodynamics doesn't work on all planets, some places stuffs extreme as hell. See neptune) (and it is an SSTO Plane-rocket- drone) and can easily get into orbit or outer space, it is not just a plane but works more like a plane and a lander, and can maneuver almost everywhere.

Example - http://www.starshipmodeler.co/gallery16/dh_021215_lander_h1.jpg 

Rescue ship -

Keeping another backup ship in orbit to sent if events turn out like "The Martian"

Similar to interstellar, if you have seen the film. Just imagine, we can actually do it but still we aren't. I guess, I might be wrong, but still we can do it and it is one of the most easiest ideas I have (easier said than done, btw) and would be so easy to colonize planets.

I am would love making this a megathread, Please give your ideas below, and correct me if I'm wrong. Also, please explain some science too, in order to prove this all. I would love to have all your ideas.

Edited by RenegadeRad

18 minutes ago, RenegadeRad said:

ayylmao sorry for the mistake, Wasn't aware :P wont happen again :D

Anyways whats your thoughts for this? The Topic

My view probably seems slightly disappointing to most people on this forum, but for what its worth I think that it should only *seem* so.

Briefly, my position on todays space travel is that yes, we could do it now, if we tried VERY hard and sepnt a LOT of money. But I think that the gains, measured against terrestrial concerns are little. At the moment.

Give it several more decades for the energy crisis to resolve (and preferably for money to become a thing of the past, but that is probably wishful thinking) and in a post-scarcity society, large and ambitious space projects will be orders of magnitude easier, financially, technologically, politically.

We could go to mars today, we have the technology, but it would be a shi**y struggle with the money and the risks and the politics. And it would be piecemeal, a few people for a few months. 

What is the hurry? The romanticism of exploration is no reason to. And if there is anything an astronaut cannot afford to be, its romantic about the challenges of space travel. 

A few decades isn't going to make a difference to the survival of the human species.

(And before you douse me in flame, yes I can still see the value of space travel today :D)

Yes, I agree. The energy crisis really needs to be solved man...

2 minutes ago, PB666 said:

There are several recent threads that deal with the topic of interstellar travel. The topic has been exhaustively discussed here.

Well, this post is not of the "Interstellar" film, but I chose the word Interstellar cause it sounds cool :P the ship designs are inspired from it though

1 hour ago, RenegadeRad said:

Now the main tension, many of you might know that rockets were not always the best method to get into space and were solely made to win in the space race. 

I pretty much stopped here.

Getting into orbit is about reaching a certain speed, and chemical rockets are simply the best we have for converting an energy source into velocity in a vacuum.

Your spaceplanes and motherships still need to convert some sort of energy source into velocity, so unless they are powered by magic or you live in a fantasy universe, they are still going to need rockets.

Also, spaceplanes are a pointless waste of mass. You don't need wings in space. They just eat up your payload fraction with structure, moving surfaces, heat shielding, hydraulics, landing gear, etc... None of that is useful in space. So again, unless your spaceplane is powered by magic, you don't want to waste energy by carrying all that useless stuff to orbit when you could be carrying propellant or useful cargo instead.

Edited by Nibb31

5 minutes ago, RenegadeRad said:

Yes, I agree. The energy crisis really needs to be solved man...

Well, this post is not of the "Interstellar" film, but I chose the word Interstellar cause it sounds cool :P the ship designs are inspired from it though

These topics are not of the Interstellar film either, which probably means you are unfamiliar with the meanings of black-hole drive, alcubierre drive, fusion-electric propulsion. Which is all the more reason you should read these threads and do a wiki post before engaging in conversation.

4 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

I pretty much stopped here.

Getting into orbit is about reaching a certain speed, and chemical rockets are pretty much the best we have for converting an energy source into velocity.

Your spaceplanes and motherships still need to convert some sort of energy source into velocity, so unless they are powered by magic or you live in a fantasy universe, they are still going to need rockets.

Also, spaceplanes are a pointless waste of mass. You don't need wings in space. They just eat up your payload fraction with structure, moving surfaces, heat shielding, hydraulics, landing gear, etc... None of that is useful in space. So again, unless your spaceplane is powered by magic, you don't want to waste energy by carrying all that useless stuff to orbit when you could be carrying propellant or useful cargo instead.

"You may also disagree, and you are good at your points " and seriously, you just held out your opinion and bashed mine. I already had enough of this thats why I came here man, please at least give a respectful idea of yours.

4 minutes ago, PB666 said:

These topics are not of the Interstellar film either, which probably means you are unfamiliar with the meanings of black-hole drive, alcubierre drive, fusion-electric propulsion. Which is all the more reason you should read these threads and do a wiki post before engaging in conversation.

Well, forgive me because Im new here. So, it would be better if we talked something about the topic, right? right?

Edited by RenegadeRad

3 minutes ago, RenegadeRad said:

"You may also disagree, and you are good at your points " and seriously, you just held out your opinion and bashed mine. I already had enough of this thats why I came here man, please at least give a respectful idea of yours.

So what are your actual ideas, besides a logo and fantasy spaceships ?

This forum is supposed to be about science and real-life spaceflight.

I... want to relate something with @Nibb31, especially on how space travel is mostly a talk of energy and power.

Space is... well, space. Since physics says you tend to stay in a continuous, monotonous, unattractive motion, you'll need something to break out of it. Namely, change your momentum (or, in case of orbits, angular momentum) and kinetic energy. It needs force. It needs work. It needs power. How will you power yourself ? Space isn't magic, and anything "magical" in it are mostly not understood (you may disagree with me, but believe it or not, "done, finished" is not a strong word in science). Rockets come to mind, because that's what we're using mainly. But, hey, you can also use slingshots, accelerators, guns, ion propulsion, even mirrors and light...

But again, it's not that you can use all of them in once, or use one of them for all. So how would you chose ? I mean, a mothership, yes, thank you for having a massive amount of metal to be pushed around. Their energy requirement won't be cheap. The ISS weighs ~400 tons (~400.000 kg). Getting it out of Earth's influence would need, like, 3 terajoules of energy. As your point was to avoid rockets, what's your best bet to do something massive like that ? Light ? Mirrors ? They're massive too either way...

That being said, this existed, but your travel would be more, like, migrate, living nomadic for a few years, then migrate again. And forget getting out of Sun's influence.

Edited by YNM

24 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

So what are your actual ideas, besides a logo and fantasy spaceships ?

This forum is supposed to be about science and real-life spaceflight.

Mate you misunderstood >.>

2 minutes ago, YNM said:

I... want to relate something with @Nibb31, especially on how space travel is mostly a talk of energy and power.

Space is... well, space. Since physics says you tend to stay in a continuous, monotonous, unattractive motion, you'll need something to break out of it. Namely, change your momentum (or, in case of orbits, angular momentum) and kinetic energy. It needs force. It needs work. It needs power. How will you power yourself ? Space isn't magic, and anything "magical" in it are mostly not understood (you may disagree with me, but believe it or not, "done, finished" is not a strong word in science). Rockets come to mind, because that's what we're using mainly. But, hey, you can also use slingshots, accelerators, guns, ion propulsion, even mirrors and light...

But again, it's not that you can use all of them in once, or use one of them for all. So how would you chose ? I mean, a mothership, yes, thank you for having a massive amount of metal to be pushed around. Their energy requirement won't be cheap. The ISS weighs ~400 tons (~400.000 kg). Getting it out of Earth's influence would need, like, 3 terajoules of energy. As your point was to avoid rockets, what's your best bet to do something massive like that ? Light ? Mirrors ? They're massive too either way...

That being said, this existed, but your travel would be more, like, migrate, living nomadic for a few years, then migrate again. And forget getting our of Sun's influence.

Can you tell me more man? Nibb misunderstood, I actually gave this idea so you guys can use some science on it as I am a total noob for aerospace, and thank you, atleast you did not bash me for something I did not know lol. :D

Edited by RenegadeRad

1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Some posts have been removed from the thread. Please refrain from name-calling and recall that attacking an idea is not an attack on the person, don't respond to challenging an idea with insults.

Sorry mate. But he just didn't correct me rather criticized rudely, I think you should look into that 

@RenegadeRad If you think that was rude you are going to have a very difficult time on the Internet. If you put an idea out there, people are going to challenge it and expect you to support it; insulting people who disagree with you will convince no one. Now please return to the topic, if you'd like to discuss this further take it to PM with me.

4 minutes ago, RenegadeRad said:

Sorry mate. But he just didn't correct me rather criticized rudely, I think you should look into that 

Lesson #1 for the internet: Fhugget about iiiiiiiit! [italian accent]

I'm sorry if my remarks came across as rude, but that is nothing compared to the cruelty of the rocket equation. Space is hard.

If, as you claim, I misunderstood something, then maybe you should clarify what you really mean.

3 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

I'm sorry if my remarks came across as rude, but that is nothing compared to the cruelty of the rocket equation. Space is hard.

If, as you claim, I misunderstood something, then maybe you should clarify what you really mean.

kek then, I did say that I gave this idea so that you guys may science over it and make it real... Im not good in rocket science 0_o

http://i.memeful.com/media/post/jRj3pDd_700wa_0.gif

Do you play KSP often? If so, try this mod. It's pretty far-fetched, but mostly-realistic implementation of engine designs that could serve your purposes.

If you prefer something closer to today's technology, this pack of mods could suit your tastes.

Within a few hours of KSP with either of those mods, you should get an idea of what's possible in spacecraft technology.

Just now, shynung said:

Do you play KSP often? If so, try this mod. It's pretty far-fetched, but mostly-realistic implementation of engine designs that could serve your purposes.

If you prefer something closer to today's technology, this pack of mods could suit your tastes.

Within a few hours of KSP with either of those mods, you should get an idea of what's possible in spacecraft technology.

Thanks man, I'll check it :D

39 minutes ago, RenegadeRad said:

Can you tell me more man? Nibb misunderstood, I actually gave this idea so you guys can use some science on it as I am a total noob for aerospace, and thank you, atleast you did not bash me for something I did not know lol. :D

Wow, really.

Start playing KSP properly then. Expect :

orbital_mechanics.png

(xkcd #1356: Orbital Mechanics)

Although, to be honest, this same idea somewhat killed my interest in KSP, other than the main performance issues on my puny computer.

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.