Interstellar Travel Modernization

RenegadeRad

3 hours ago, RenegadeRad said:

This is getting interesting. We are now officially on the path where I wanted this conversation to go. Please continue.

@Shynung 

If solar panels would overheat, how about we add something in then which would convert the overheat, into energy? :P

Well that's ridiculous sorry but what if we try solar sailing? It seems potentially good.

@Nibb31 ayylmao I did say that I chose the word interstellar because it sounds cool you know :P not literally because I do know it is impossible too reach other stars with today's technology.

Oh and what's EM spectrum?

You can convert overheat into energy via energy recovery systems, something similar is done on RTGs and cogeneration power plants. Of course, you need to produce a lot of heat for the extra cost to be worth it over adding more solar panels.

Solar sailing is already done- on cubesats. The problem with solar sailing is that you need a sail that is insanely big, which will make the spacecraft more massive- no to mention solar sails take ages to accelerate. Most uses of solar sails are today covered by ION drives, which are also very efficient, but can be scaled up more easily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail#Materials

"Another thing to add here that even if the mothership idea is useful and mainstream, why, just why (if we put aside funding, difficulty and economy) doesn't NASA or some countries get together and make this idea reality? You know how cool it will be. Like if we even have 2 of ISMs, major missions would be so easy, and still we try to add advances tech (nuclear pulse) in some 50s tech (the one vehicle to do it all rocket designs of appolo). Nonsensical. "

I see you need to lurk the forum moar.

Good places to read IRL Space are http://spaceflighthistory.blogspot.ca/

and https://falsesteps.wordpress.com/

Always keep in mind, if something in space is not done, it is usually one of a few things:

1. $$$$

2. Politics

3. Too difficult of a technology

4. Not possible.

5. Too high of a mass.

6. No need at the moment.

The answer usually is 1, 5, 6, or 2.

1 hour ago, RenegadeRad said:

@Nibb31 Thanks, I was not able to create a word so I took mothership and yes, I apologize for my communication. It's just about faster space travel, and "interplanetary transfer vehicle" is what that it is.

And lmao, where the hell are you going I am not talking about USs enterprise at all, you ok there?

"Another thing to add here that even if the mothership idea is useful and mainstream, why, just why (if we put aside funding, difficulty and economy) doesn't NASA or some countries get together and make this idea reality? You know how cool it will be. Like if we even have 2 of ISMs, major missions would be so easy, and still we try to add advances tech (nuclear pulse) in some 50s tech (the one vehicle to do it all rocket designs of appolo). Nonsensical. "

If you were talking about anything within this century with that statement, (or even the next century) you might as well have been talking about the USS Enterprise.

Why?

$$$$$$$ and politics.

Edited by fredinno

3 hours ago, RenegadeRad said:

If solar panels would overheat, how about we add something in then which would convert the overheat, into energy? :P

Well that's ridiculous sorry but what if we try solar sailing? It seems potentially good.

Converting heat to energy requires a cold spot to dump the heat later (i.e. radiators). Efficiency depends on temperature difference between the hot and cold spots. In case of solar thermal absorption from a black panel, I think it wouldn't have a very high efficiency, but I need more data to be sure. Best design for a solar thermal collector would be a parabolic mercury boiler, rather than a black panel.

As for solar sails, it generates very little thrust. Ion engines are more powerful in most cases. On the other hand, it's free as long as the sails stay intact, so that's that.

Edited by shynung

5 hours ago, shynung said:

Converting heat to energy requires a cold spot to dump the heat later (i.e. radiators). Efficiency depends on temperature difference between the hot and cold spots. In case of solar thermal absorption from a black panel, I think it wouldn't have a very high efficiency, but I need more data to be sure. Best design for a solar thermal collector would be a parabolic mercury boiler, rather than a black panel.

As for solar sails, it generates very little thrust. Ion engines are more powerful in most cases. On the other hand, it's free as long as the sails stay intact, so that's that.

Efficient photon drives don't need heat sink, althuogh the photons destination is likely to be much lower energy than its source.
Solar sources of electricity effectively don't need sink, as per thread on Solar based ion . . . . .the wiring may have a source of heat that has to be dissipated.

28 minutes ago, PB666 said:

Efficient photon drives don't need heat sink, althuogh the photons destination is likely to be much lower energy than its source.
Solar sources of electricity effectively don't need sink, as per thread on Solar based ion . . . . .the wiring may have a source of heat that has to be dissipated.

Photon drives need 300 MW to generate 1 measly Newton. Solar-power photon drives are laughably weak.

15 minutes ago, shynung said:

Photon drives need 300 MW to generate 1 measly Newton. Solar-power photon drives are laughably weak.

There is power conversion on the front end to, since it is unlikely you could build solar panels to achieve a decent output for a photon drive the next choice in Nuclear (and no I do not accept direct current production nuclear because the current production is laughably low), which means you do have to have a heat sink to generate power.

Have you seen my interstellar fusion driven ship? 1/10th scale model. big radiator fins on the sides, prolly not enough. Anyway fusion as a power source does not really exist yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.