Stop parts from loading with ModuleManager

DesertCookie

1 hour ago, Roovy said:

Is it possible to prevent parts from getting load?

Example: KSP with "Mechjeb and Engineer for all" don't needs parts added by the two mods.

Isn't "Mechjeb and Engineer for all" just a ModuleManager script, itself? If so, wouldn't they have provided a variant that removed the parts, if it were an option?

(I stress "variant" because some still want the parts, for the sake of adding details to their craft, so removing the parts by default wouldn't have been the best option.)

if the asset (Texture, Model, FX, Sound, etc) is in GameData, it gets loaded whether you see it in Editor or not. This might change with 1.1...

for now you have to define what you mean by "not load". Not visible in VAB/SPH? or not in memory?

7 minutes ago, LitaAlto said:

Isn't "Mechjeb and Engineer for all" just a ModuleManager script, itself? If so, wouldn't they have provided a variant that removed the parts, if it were an option?

(I stress "variant" because some still want the parts, for the sake of adding details to their craft, so removing the parts by default wouldn't have been the best option.)

@LitaAltoThaught the same but when asking the developer he just sayed there's all I have to know on the forum post but I found nothing! To the Mj&EnFA-thing: Don't know actually. There's this example on the forum post but the file you can download is written very laborious so I personally don't think it's from them...

14 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Just delete the part you don't need.

@NansuchaoThats not an option because everybody installing this mod had to do the same and this isn acceptable!

6 minutes ago, nli2work said:

if the asset (Texture, Model, FX, Sound, etc) is in GameData, it gets loaded whether you see it in Editor or not. This might change with 1.1...

for now you have to define what you mean by "not load". Not visible in VAB/SPH? or not in memory?

@nli2workNot im memory. With MM you can define WHEN to load a part so why not prohibit the parts loading? As I sayed in another comment: Developer meant all I have to know is written in forum threa but I cant find anything!

Edited by Roovy

I don't think you can "unload" assets via ModuleManager. MM does its thing during part compile phase, after all the game assets have been loaded. The "When" pertains to the order a part is compiled and with what MM patch applied, e.g. before/after some other mod's patch to the same part. Best you can do with MM is hide some parts in VAB/SPH.

only way, for now, to prevent some asset from loading is not putting it in GameData folder.

Edited by nli2work

16 hours ago, nli2work said:

I don't think you can "unload" assets via ModuleManager. MM does its thing during part compile phase, after all the game assets have been loaded. The "When" pertains to the order a part is compiled and with what MM patch applied, e.g. before/after some other mod's patch to the same part. Best you can do with MM is hide some parts in VAB/SPH.

only way, for now, to prevent some asset from loading is not putting it in GameData folder.

Thanks. Still don't undestand why he sayed something in this direction is possible.

1 hour ago, Roovy said:

Thanks. Still don't undestand why he sayed something in this direction is possible.

There's probably way to check for some other patch before applying your own, e.g. if X has applied patch, don't do Y patch. MM is very robust, I don't know all the intricacies of it.

You can stop KSP compiling a part with MM: use MM to delete the PART node for it. You cannot stop KSP loading the assets. Indeed, you cant' stop KSP from loading any aseets in GameData, unless those assets are inside a PluginData folder.

22 hours ago, NathanKell said:

You can stop KSP compiling a part with MM: use MM to delete the PART node for it. You cannot stop KSP loading the assets. Indeed, you cant' stop KSP from loading any aseets in GameData, unless those assets are inside a PluginData folder.

Okay thanks. Is this it: !NODE[foo] {}

If not, please give a clue where to find it in the post or quote it, please.

The only way to reduce RAM consumption is to delete all assets: model, textures, everything in the part's folder. I've been deleting all wings, fuel tanks (except the toroidal one), heatshields, decouplers, batteries and so on and replacing them with procedural ones. It saves hundreds MB of RAM while also allowing full part customization. Now, just gotta wait for updated mods...

6 minutes ago, Roovy said:

Okay thanks. Is this it: !NODE[foo] {}

If not, please give a clue where to find it in the post or quote it, please.

that should do the trick. !PART[partName]{} would prevent a part from showing up in Editor. though the model, textures, sound and FX if any, will still be in memory.

2 hours ago, nli2work said:

that should do the trick. !PART[partName]{} would prevent a part from showing up in Editor. though the model, textures, sound and FX if any, will still be in memory.

Isn't really what I wanted because saving RAM and loading time mostly is my goal!

2 hours ago, JedTech said:

I wish there was a way to stop KSP from loading certain assets. I would love to save RAM and get rid of plane parts and IVA's.

I too because I'm working on some tweak-mods and it would be great to do so...

2 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

The only way to reduce RAM consumption is to delete all assets: model, textures, everything in the part's folder. I've been deleting all wings, fuel tanks (except the toroidal one), heatshields, decouplers, batteries and so on and replacing them with procedural ones. It saves hundreds MB of RAM while also allowing full part customization. Now, just gotta wait for updated mods...

Updates for 1.1?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.