Moon Hopping!

easy:  land on the mun, then minmus, in one ship

medium: land on the mun, then minmus, then back to kerbin in one ship

hard: land on the mun, then minmus, then back to the mun, then back to kerbin, in one ship

Super: (**probly not possible**) land on the mun, then minmus, then back to the mun, then back to kerbin, in a SSTO

SUPER-SUPER: land on the mun, then minmus, then back to the mun, then back to kerbin, in a SSTO, with no mining or refueling

rules:

mining is allowed only on super mode, and only on minmus

no alt+f12 menu 

stock parts only

no refueling

:):):) 

Edited by nikyname

Except "super" all this can be easily performed without mining. No real challenge for the typical experimented player on the forum.

Super offers some challenge, but still not that much to any SSTO expert around here.

You may want to rethink that challenge and to make sure it follows this:

• 2 weeks later...

Was about to ask about re-fuel missions, then realised I can mine moon for fuel :sticktongue:. THIS will be fun :D

Edit: Turns out I can't mine unless I go on super ;.;... but he didn't say anything about refueling :cool:

Edited by BowWhalley

Why would "super" not be possible?

All of them are very easy, because it is very easy to build very lightweight stock SSTOs.

At the very least this challenge should have a "achieve with minimum weight/cost" approach. With separate categories for "with mining" and "without".

I had a crack at this yesterday with an Mk2 Lander Can based vehicle, but made a mess of it as the tanks that were directly attached to a couple of nuke engines were FLT-400's instead of Mk1 Liquid Fuel. So instead of having 800 units of liquid fuel after losing all my drop tanks, I had only 360 units of it plus I'd been hauling around 440 units of useless oxidizer.

Made it as far as the 2nd landing on Mun, but didn't have enough for the ascent and return to Kerbin.

Hopefully I'll fix the design and have another crack in the next few days.

Here it is after making its 2nd landing (Minmus)

Eh1QYK1.png

3 hours ago, BowWhalley said:

Was about to ask about re-fuel missions, then realised I can mine moon for fuel :sticktongue:. THIS will be fun :D

Edit: Turns out I can't mine unless I go on super ;.;... but he didn't say anything about refueling :cool:

I did think about dragging around a fuel module that I'd leave in orbit (especially for the Mun landings) each time I went down to the surface, which would have made the challenge a lot easier, but figured that hard level was do-able without it.

Oxidizer... Grrrrr.

Edited by purpleivan

So here's my version.  SSTO to deliver a small ion craft into orbit, ion craft does the Mun->Minmus->Mun run successfully, climbs back into the cargo bay of SSTO and deorbits.  All parts recovered close to KSC.  Not necessarily still attached to each other.  My SSTO rocket (yes rockets can be SSTOs too) doesn't cope well with landing on a slope, and tipped over at the end. 

It took all evening but I finally have a successful entry to the challenge.

The journey of the Moon Hopper 2.

In addition to correcting my mistakes with the tanks of my first build, I added another pair of Mk1 liquid fuel tanks just to be sure.

• 3 months later...

I'll be attempting a Medium Mode soon! For a novice like me, Medium would be a (potentially) fun challenge, with Easy being too easy and any higher difficulty being nigh impossible.

On 3/29/2016 at 2:08 PM, nikyname said:

easy:  land on the mun, then minmus, in one ship

medium: land on the mun, then minmus, then back to kerbin in one ship

hard: land on the mun, then minmus, then back to the mun, then back to kerbin, in one ship

Super: (**probly not possible**) land on the mun, then minmus, then back to the mun, then back to kerbin, in a SSTO

SUPER-SUPER: land on the mun, then minmus, then back to the mun, then back to kerbin, in a SSTO, with no mining or refueling

rules:

mining is allowed only on super mode, and only on minmus

no alt+f12 menu 

stock parts only

no refueling

:):):) 

Alright, I'll give it a shot! I already kind or completed this challenge back in 0.90, where I had this one probe I got into orbit around the Mun, landed on the Mun, and then went to land on Minmus.

I'm going to attempt both the Hard and Super-Hard levels, but I'm also going to try something else: land on the Mun, then Minmus, then use a Mun gravity assist to get to Duna, land on Ike, get back to Kerbin, land on both of its moons, and land on Kerbin. All with a weird SSTO-like thing and just one refuel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.