Devnotes Tuesday: Hard work and GDC!

SQUAD

I've gotta say, some pretty masterful trolling by @SQUAD today. Bravo! 

You played the hypetrain like a fiddle.

I get the feeling they were really enjoying themselves... well deserved after all the hard work (with of course more hard work to come.)

Edited by Tourist

LOL well played SQUAD, well played. It was really amusing to see the alternating spikes of hype/hate/hope/despair/more hate/ecstasy throughout the forums :D

Bad news for me: 3 a.m., work tomorrow, no chance to play before saturday evening... To everyone who uses steam and actually has time to play, enjoy the update :)

Ps: if there is a graph showing the break in forum activity at the exact point of the beta being available, please share!

EDIT: Dammit, too hyped, can't sleep. If I would not be absolutely certain that my gf would murder me with her bare hands, I'd fire up my PC and play until work starts.

Edited by Zoidos
Hype-Induced Insomnia

Actually, I'm happy to not have it another month if it means more squashed-flat bugs, and a really polished game.

As a dev myself, I know the tension between "SHIP IT NOW!" and "NO, IT'S TOO BUGGY!" and I trust HarvesteR & Dr. Turkey to know "when"

I think this is the one time KSP is gettin' the sweet hot dev luvvin' that it truly deserves, and I don't think there'll be an opportunity to go thru things with such a fine-tooth comb again. The next releases will the the normal fast'n'furious pace that sometimes lets lots of bugs slip past.

Considering my frustration with rovers, and the wheeled sweetness Scott Manley showed off recently, I'm willing to wait for more 'o dat. Heck, the only time I've seen the Kraken is when a rover vanished climbing a crater on Moho.

I'm really glad to hear the streamers and the rest of the pre-release test crowd are truly finding bugs so they can be fixed.

On the other hand, if it releases April 1st (April Fools) I'll laugh my ass off!

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

Brian (Arsonide) has been working with Nathan (Claw) on wheel traction, namely increasing it on lower gravity planets. This is one of those gameplay over realism options, because having realistic traction on Minmus is not necessarily fun. He also fixed many issues with the wheel damage model.

Umm...couldn't the player just make more massive rovers to gain better traction?  Also, maybe driving on Minmus isn't the best decision in the first place.  I don't know.  Maybe I'm to far in the realism camp.

26 minutes ago, EliasDanger said:

You can't expect 'em not to draw conclusions even if they shouldn't though

I know. And you surely can't expect when people's conclusions are proven wrong, that they blame THEMSELVES for it.

(Moot point is a moot point, though, because apparently 1.1 public beta is out. Enjoy, people. I look forward to trying it myself when I become worthy)

12 minutes ago, fireblade274 said:

Where can I find the streamers videos of the pre-release 1.1? Last thing I saw was Das revealing the cutaway views of ships and stations. I have steam but i dont want to use it till its released, id actually like to keep my saves :)  

Just got off a voice chat with JaysNL during a 12h 1.1 preview stream that's just ended as the prerelease came out. The video will be in the VODs section. You might also want to try the VODs (and current streams) of OzzyInSpaceEJSATheReadPandaKofeyhMatoroIgnikaJimorian, DigitalPsychosis, and any of the other KSPTV/Media Group streamers.

1 hour ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

They didn't explicitly state it, but when do they ever give release dates? They implied it like crazy. Not even trying to be subtle:

Tweets ("Very SoonTM"). Extremely frequent updates to the experimental build (like, minutes apart just before the devnotes). Messing with us in the actual hype thread in the hour or so before the devnotes. SQUAD staff obviously visiting places like the bug reporting guide and the developer articles.

Minutes between builds is a sign that they're ready to release? Worse, it's a deliberately misleading hint that they're ready to release? As for "SQUAD staff obviously visiting places like the bug reporting guide..." I can't begin to guess what you are intending to convey. 

-----

Please tell me that it isn't the same people who are writing like this who also were criticizing non-Steam users for being bitter about getting excluded from the beta.

Edited by Perry Apsis

I was just on my first sub orbital. Had science Jr on top of my capsule. Every time I popped out to collect temp readings, my pod would start spinning. It actually threw me off. Then I was desperately trying to reboard a spinning capsule to no avail. Then we entered the atmosphere. I tried and tried and finally got in just before hitting aero effects. Whew.

8 minutes ago, EliasDanger said:

I was just on my first sub orbital. Had science Jr on top of my capsule. Every time I popped out to collect temp readings, my pod would start spinning. It actually threw me off. Then I was desperately trying to reboard a spinning capsule to no avail. Then we entered the atmosphere. I tried and tried and finally got in just before hitting aero effects. Whew.

Seems your ship lost SAS

Two things, 

First, SQUAD, you played us like a fiddle and that was mean, but I think ill find a way to forgive you all.:P

Second, would it be possible to post a brief change log to the forums every couple of builds or so? Just so that those of us who are unable to play the pre-release are able to get a sense of what is going on, it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Edited by CaLVin-K
forgot a comma.

17 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Yes, we are going to keep the changelog updated. It'd be pretty bad if we didn't. :D

Ok cool, where can I find this changelog?

Edited by CaLVin-K

I just want to thank you guys for putting in all the hard work RESTORING THE AERO EFFECTS I LOST TWO YEARS AGO WHEN I SWITCHED TO THIS DAMN INTEL 4K!

Seriously, first thing I checked.

Other Unity 5 games run pretty okay on this laptop because the i7 is a beast, but KSP on Unity 4 was lacking graphically.  Now that I can actually experience aerodynamic bliss again?  Very cool.  You deserve all my bug reports.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.