Devnotes Tuesday: Hard work and GDC!

SQUAD

1 minute ago, regex said:

I just want to thank you guys for putting in all the hard work RESTORING THE AERO EFFECTS I LOST TWO YEARS AGO WHEN I SWITCHED TO THIS DAMN INTEL 4K!

Seriously, first thing I checked.

Other Unity 5 games run pretty okay on this laptop because the i7 is a beast, but KSP on Unity 4 was lacking graphically.  Now that I can actually experience aerodynamic bliss again?  Very cool.  You deserve all my bug reports.

Out of curiosity, which aerodynamic effects are you referring to? Re-entry? I'm curious because I also have a PC with somewhat lacking effects during supersonic travel and re-entry as well.

1 minute ago, Columbia said:

Out of curiosity, which aerodynamic effects are you referring to? Re-entry? I'm curious because I also have a PC with somewhat lacking effects during supersonic travel and re-entry as well.

Reentry and supersonic effects went missing when I switched to the Intel GPU.  Long story short, gaming laptop burnt up, I now play on my work laptop (no one in charge of hardware cares so long as I use a fanplate).  It's a System 76 Gazelle Pro laptop, older model, i7 + Intel 4K, SSD, 8GB RAM, Linux Mint x64, which I mainly use for web application development.

4 hours ago, nosirrbro said:

All this hypesplosion and you just kick us in the teeth with 'Sorry nope!'?

Those of you who haven't just had Squad confirm they're second-class citizens can deal with a little delay.

5 hours ago, Temeter said:

Ye, really disappointed.

There is trolling and there is wasting people time with false hints. This is the kind of point where can just give a stupid clarification aka 'not today, sorry'.

There has been no hints but the ones people who want hints choose to see. The whole rumour regarding pre-release becoming available today has been fabricated by forum users from day one, and it's never been supported by SQUAD in any way. In fact, it was a very unrealistic rumour to begin with, considering that last weeks update mostly spoke of broken build servers.

Edit: And yet here we are. :)

Edited by JohnnyPanzer
Masterful trolling by SQUAD

Edit: NOPE, I'm taking it back @KasperVld, apparently the beta released 7 hours ago? Sorry for doubting you hard working guys! :D

Downloading something. ~

Toldya the hints where there!

-------

7 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Are you guys for real? Squad said nothing about it being today, or tomorrow, you all made incorrect assumptions.

Nah, they did troll us with a few things. Usually when MaxMaps started dropping those hints, the release was very close.

Edited by Temeter

31 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Aaaandddd....this is photo of me and other poor, unlucky people who didn't jump on Steam bandwagon, but instead chose to trust SQUAD's own store. Or got onboard long before Steam version was a thing.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe_6neneLejMDC5U8YKQY

You didn't lost much, I've just tested 1.1 and I doubt it they can release it within month.
Yes performance is improved, but there are issues with scale of UI, some effects looks bad, even parts in editor looks bad, performance issues in editor (it lags with 200 parts), and every stage during flight makes huge lag it freezes game for few seconds even with ~200 parts craft.

So no worries, people having steam version won't enjoy it much :P

On his side Bob’s (Roverdude) week was all about wrapping up some remaining bugs and keeping an eye on the KSPTV streamers, since they’ve proven to be very good at finding bugs, especially in front of large audiences.

Ahahaha.  Every software developer knows that feeling.

Antenna now retain their state after transmitting (i.e. extended antenna stay extended).

The small things ... :)

Allow ModuleAblator to create a resource as it consumes the ablator (i.e. cracked ablator).

qué?

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

You didn't lost much, I've just tested 1.1 and I doubt it they can release it within month.
Yes performance is improved, but there are issues with scale of UI, some effects looks bad, even parts in editor looks bad, performance issues in editor (it lags with 200 parts), and every stage during flight makes huge lag it freezes game for few seconds even with ~200 parts craft.

So no worries, people having steam version won't enjoy it much :P

Really? UI scale seems fine, I think the Navball is supposed to be that big. I certainly like that change, helps with more precise maneuvers. Editor has some light issues, 64bit lacks beatiful VAB lights, and there is always some very minor lag during construction. Encountered one or two smaller bugs (nothing specific enough to report tho), but no separation lag that would differ from 105.

Plays fine, runs amazing. Supersonic flight is still a bit of a performance hog tho.

1 hour ago, KerbMav said:

The small things ... :)

qué?

I assume the point is to allow for more realistic behaviour of heatshields, i.e. they could keep their mass even after Being "spent". 

At least that would be my guess.

Edited by JohnnyPanzer

2 minutes ago, JohnnyPanzer said:

I assume the point is to allow for more realistic behaviour of heatshields, i.e. they could keep their mass even after Being "spent". 

My first assumption also, but ablative means "loosing stuff" - so the mass should be lost?

Just now, KerbMav said:

My first assumption also, but ablative means "loosing stuff" - so the mass should be lost?

I don't known how real heatshields works in that regard, but I very much doubt that the material suddenly has no mass at all after being superheated. Most insulation becomes lighter as various binding elements dissipate, but they still retain most of their mass.

So this change would make it possible to let the ablator be replaced with a "spent" resource with a lower weight.

1 hour ago, JohnnyPanzer said:

I don't known how real heatshields works in that regard, but I very much doubt that the material suddenly has no mass at all after being superheated. Most insulation becomes lighter as various binding elements dissipate, but they still retain most of their mass.

So this change would make it possible to let the ablator be replaced with a "spent" resource with a lower weight.

Ablative heatshielding works by shedding the ablative material. When the ablative material is burned away it takes heat and mass with it. The game is modelling this correctly.

49 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Ablative heatshielding works by shedding the ablative material. When the ablative material is burned away it takes heat and mass with it. The game is modelling this correctly.

Cool, good to known. Maybe the code is meant to facilitate mods experimenting with other materials?

I'd just like to tell all of the people at Squad, on the forums or not, to keep up the good work.  I know that some people are a bit about the pre release being Steam only, but I think it's more of getting the community on a different track.  Don't worry, people will understand soonTM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.