Squad how do my tears taste?

alacrity

Just now, dr.phees said:

By the way: In the KSP store I have a "transfer purchase" button next to the game in "my account", which seemingly allows me to transfer the license to steam.

Doesn't everyone have that?

No, they do not. You are blessed with having bought the game there at the right time, that's all. Lucky you.

Just as a note, I did fire up the KSP_Launcher. It still has the release graphic from 1.0, but it does appear that they've at least done some work on it. If I had to guess, I'd say this steam only PR would be a one time thing. They can't be happy about the negative reaction. 

12 minutes ago, Korvath85 said:

Just as a note, I did fire up the KSP_Launcher. It still has the release graphic from 1.0, but it does appear that they've at least done some work on it.

Out of curiosity, is the big "update" button (that does nothing) still there? Nothing confuses users like putting a big button that does nothing in your app. ;)

-----

Just to hammer the point:

$ xdelta delta KSP_linux-090.tar.gz KSP_linux-105.tar.gz diff.tar.gz

...~5 minutes later...

$ du -h diff.tar.gz
146M    diff.tar.gz

No point in a patcher? This I find difficult to believe.

Edited by steve_v
Stupid editor.

I find it a little hypocritical to rag on Steam, then turn around and complain about the launcher being broken.

I mean...that's what Steam is? It's a universal launcher for games...so the developers of said game don't have to  waste time and resources making/maintaining one of their own.

If we all bought on Steam, our "launcher" and our "update buttons" would work just fine. Squad should move everyone over to Steam and just trash that ancient, worthless launcher. I realize some people have this weird phobia over Steam but come on...take off your tinfoil hats for a second. Having the game available in two different places is just confusing, and has already proven to be divisive among the community. (For the record I didn't buy KSP on Steam, but I own several other games through Steam and haven't ever had a problem, and I've been a steam user since day 1 back when the original Counter Strike mod for HL1 made the switch over.)

11 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I find it a little hypocritical to rag on Steam

Which I have not yet done, despite my dislike of said datamining operation.

so the developers of said game don't have to  waste time and resources making/maintaining one of their own.

Really? it took me 5 minutes to generate that patch...

Squad should move everyone over to Steam and just trash that ancient, worthless launcher.

No excrement, detective. So where's my steam key then?

----

6 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

You are welcome to ignore it though.

Well, normally I just ignore you, period. But here I make an exception.

Edited by steve_v

2 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Which I have not yet done, despite my dislike of said datamining operation.

Really? it took me 5 minutes to generate that patch...

No excrement, detective. So where's my steam key then?

I think you forgot to take off your tinfoil hat.

5 minutes? Well then, you should have the KSP launcher sorted out for them by the end of the day right? Squad will be thrilled.

For sale, at the Steam store. Only $39.99! :)

5 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I think you forgot to take off your tinfoil hat.

Difficult as it's integrated into my BS detector... which, coincidentally I'm sure, seems to be making a bunch of noise at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Well then, you should have the KSP launcher sorted out for them by the end of the day right? Squad will be thrilled.

Give me access to the build infrastructure and account data (just to check for valid purchase, OFC :wink:) and I'll give it a crack.

OTOH, since I'm being treated to this awesome 1.1 pre-release (or not) I don't feel very inclined to help squad at the moment.

Edited by steve_v

7 minutes ago, Gojira1000 said:

I sense the next Beta being a closed one.

*sigh*

It's a shame that Squad is receiving so much backlash.  Yes, their decision to release on Steam got the Store buyers the short end of the stick; but it's simply not feasible for them to do so. If they had the capability to release on the store, they would. But they decided that they would let some of their community play and test for bugs instead of letting noone, and now that's got a bunch of people angry because that didn't include them.

A lot of people aren't angry that they didn't get the prerelease, they're angry that the Steam users got the prerelease and would rather that noone get it than some people get it and it not them.  

11 minutes ago, Gojira1000 said:

I sense the next Beta being a closed one.

*sigh*

As it should be. Let's get real, the vast majority of people commenting, reporting, asking questions about 1.1 care only about which of their personally used mods they can use to PLAY 1.1. They don't give a rat's ass about any bug testing. Even most of the "media team" I've watched so far care only about how many more gigantic ships they can launch of their own and learn to fly them better. They directly brush off any concerns in their chats about performance or usability enhancements and even get annoyed by people asking about it. This isn't a bug find release. It's early access plain and simple for those who bought the game from a real company(Steam) . This game has been in a "beta" state since the beginning of it's lifetime because it's an easy out for sloppy work. That same "beta" "wip" card will be pulled long after the "official" release of 1.1.

If they truly want to find bugs then yes, it should be a closed test using actual people who care about finding bugs. The fact is, no matter how many people here want to try and defend it, this is a simple prerelease to the customers who were smart enough to not trust some indie dev's storefront.

well, I was going to avoid transferring my purchase to steam but I bit the bullet and did it... now I wish I didn't have to work all day so I could go home and play/test it!

Just now, Elway358 said:

As it should be. Let's get real, the vast majority of people commenting, reporting, asking questions about 1.1 care only about which of their personally used mods they can use to PLAY 1.1. They don't give a rat's ass about any bug testing. Even most of the "media team" I've watched so far care only about how many more gigantic ships they can launch of their own and learn to fly them better. They directly brush off any concerns in their chats about performance or usability enhancements and even get annoyed by people asking about it. This isn't a bug find release. It's early access plain and simple for those who bought the game from a real company(Steam) . This game has been in a "beta" state since the beginning of it's lifetime because it's an easy out for sloppy work. That same "beta" "wip" card will be pulled long after the "official" release of 1.1.

If they truly want to find bugs then yes, it should be a closed test using actual people who care about finding bugs. The fact is, no matter how many people here want to try and defend it, this is a simple prerelease to the customers who were smart enough to not trust some indie dev's storefront.

And I bet that there's probably going to be more bugs found with more people testing, even if there's a bunch of those who "don't give a rat's ass" like you say.  And the fact is, no matter how many people criticize this, the main heart of this argument is that the people who bought from the store aren't angry that they didn't get it, they're angry that someone else did and want to make sure that noone gets it in the future.  

I loathe and utterly despise Steam.  While I'd love to play the 1.1 pre-release its worth it not to have to use Steam if there is any way possible not to.  Having said that I do have their stupid client running on machine for the few "must have" games that are only available on Steam.  It  does really liquid me off that I have to ask these parasites permission every time I want to play a game that I technically own.

4 minutes ago, KerBlammo said:

It  does really liquid me off that I have to ask these parasites permission every time I want to play a game that I technically own.

Quite a few steam games, including KSP, don't require the steam client to even be installed to play the game if it's sitting somewhere on your hard drive.

EDIT: However, some steam games - notably pretty much any AAA games - DO require steam to be running.

Edited by armagheddonsgw

Just now, KerBlammo said:

I loathe and utterly despise Steam.  While I'd love to play the 1.1 pre-release its worth it not to have to use Steam if there is any way possible not to.  Having said that I do have their stupid client running on machine for the few "must have" games that are only available on Steam.  It  does really liquid me off that I have to ask these parasites permission every time I want to play a game that I technically own.

Steam stores all their games onto your computer.  If you have a Mac, go to ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/ and you'll see a bunch of games that you can now use to play offline.  If you have a PC, go to c:\program files\Steam\SteamApps\common\.

You don't need Steam's permission to play.  You can just as easily move these files out of that directory, and when you want to launch it again through Steam, it'll redownload it for you.  Or you can play it offline from a different directory and never have Steam running at all.  

Ive already krakened out of the game TWICE now, and i have yet to begin my attempts at building a 2000 part battle cruiser yet...

I personally view it as the devs intended, a preview where i get to post the bugs i find, and while i am still playing 1.1 for fun too, im doing it with the mindset of helping squad perfect fix the game before it becomes a fully fledged release.  Gonna spend my freetime today testing whackjob style designs to see how far i can take the game into krakenland (need to send stuff to Bop to increase odds of kraken attacks).

While i do understand the frustration of those that dont have the steam version, and i think squad should have at the bare minimum uploaded the 1st version for people to play with (even if they make a disclaimer that they dont support that in any way), i do kinda understand where they are coming from since the steam servers can handle many many uploads/downloads non stop, while squad's store (most likely hosted in someone's basement) probably cant handle terabytes of downloads per second like steam can.

Still, if they ever repeat this open beta concept, i strongly recommend at least uploading one version (even if it doesnt get updated until full release) just so those who dont have steam version arent completely screwed over.