Squad how do my tears taste?

alacrity

1 minute ago, Badsector said:

Steam User: "Why mod X is not updated to 1.1"

Now now, let's settle down a bit. I know my post may have been a little too snarky, but that's not a very nice general statement at all. I'm sorry for making a snakring post beforehand, but really, I do feel quite a bit insulted.

We all need too....

Stay Determined. . .

26 minutes ago, _Aramchek_ said:

I haven't ignored any facts, I discredit your assumptions. 

There is a difference, someone summed it up nicely on the last page...this is a pr move that has very little to do with bug testing or bandwidth issues.

Except there is no solid evidence that it is a pr move other than the speculation of someone who isn't SQUAD staff.

it was mentioned before that the ksp servers probably wouldn't have handled the traffic very good.

Now imagine the experimental would have been also distributed by them.

This thread would have been titled 'waaah, waaah, why so slow download, you all s*#@!!!!' or something similar, mostly followed by another thread about 'wahhh, wahhh whyy so many bugs, , you all s*#@!!!! '

What's wrong with people these days ?

1 minute ago, micr0wave said:

What's wrong with people these days ?

They've been left out, they feel betrayed because they "invested more in Squad", things like that.

Basically their feelings are hurt.

4 hours ago, insert_name said:

wow only one warning from a moderator on a complaint thread this long

More economical to just have one thread where people can let go of their frustration, it's easier to monitor and reduces the risk of many other similar threads popping up and turning this into a widely spread issue no? Minority suppression 101 : p (on top of that, non-concerning people will know exactly what thread to ignore - kind of like how the slums work).

Edited by kimiko

5 hours ago, steve_v said:

Out of curiosity, is the big "update" button (that does nothing) still there? Nothing confuses users like putting a big button that does nothing in your app. ;)

-----

Just to hammer the point:

$ xdelta delta KSP_linux-090.tar.gz KSP_linux-105.tar.gz diff.tar.gz

...~5 minutes later...

$ du -h diff.tar.gz
146M    diff.tar.gz

No point in a patcher? This I find difficult to believe.

I'll check it tonight, but I closed it shortly after it was blinking 'downloading update' or 'downloading patch' or something of the like, because I had just finished downloading and didn't want to hose it immediately.

Think positive, it's all a matter of perception, you could also say that the non-steam buyers got the premium service to prevent them to step into the hype trap and have to deal with a buggy experimental version which has a good chance to erease all the progress they made with it.

(which would of course generate more complain threads)

Okay, I'm going to have a rant here.

Many people have mentioned that we store users just want to "play" KSP 1.1.

My side of this story is as follows, in the form of bullet points.

• I can't apply for QA or Experimentals at all, due to *REDACTED*
  • I want to help make this game better
  • I do not have a Steam Copy
  • I can not transfer to Steam.

I am mad, sure.

Patcher works like a TV thrown in an incinerator which the ashes were ground into a fine pulp and then thrown in a computer who itself was incinerated.

I'm quite disappointed in SQUAD for not issuing steam keys.

Or at the very least making patcher somewhat better.

But, that's just me.

Ken, signing off.

49 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

I see no reason for SQUAD to keep that data if a system is in place for them to access said data in real-time.  

Which they can still do without this pre-release, again, that information isn't tied to this pre-release in any way. Squad did not have to pre-release 1.1 to access that information/demographics. 

Someone on FB summed this up perfectly....  I paid to back this game and to bug test it, yet I and the other original backers either have to migrate to steam and it's downsides for this game, or we do not get to participate.

That seems to be exceptionally out of line with the promises made when I and other original backers put money down so you people can enjoy the game in the first place.

39 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

Except there is no solid evidence that it is a pr move other than the speculation of someone who isn't SQUAD staff.

It makes more sense than the excuses being thrown around...and we all know PR companies never lie or stretch the truth...right?

25 minutes ago, kimiko said:

More economical to just have one thread where people can let go of their frustration, it's easier to monitor

Also easier to find the tears.

Also have found a major FUBAR mistake that is going to crash most modded games and be a total pain for mod authors. Fortunately a whole lot of very smart people are almost done with a fix. So the rest of the world does not need to know more.

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

Just now, SpaceplaneAddict said:

This is exactly what we deal with. Do you really want a buggy, crash ridden game?

Honestly, yes.  I would like a chance to contribute to the testing of a game I care about.

Here's something else to cheer you up:

Q: Will I be able to get pre-releases on the KSP store in the future?
A: If we repeat this testing cycle at any time in the future we'll definitely need to look at our patcher or other ways of efficiently distributing these builds via the KSP store.

This is from @KasperVld, here:

18 minutes ago, _Aramchek_ said:

Which they can still do without this pre-release, again, that information isn't tied to this pre-release in any way. Squad did not have to pre-release 1.1 to access that information/demographics. 

Someone on FB summed this up perfectly....  I paid to back this game and to bug test it, yet I and the other original backers either have to migrate to steam and it's downsides for this game, or we do not get to participate.

That seems to be exceptionally out of line with the promises made when I and other original backers put money down so you people can enjoy the game in the first place.

"YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT USE OF THE LICENSED APPLICATION IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND THAT THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, LEGALITY, ACCURACY AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE LICENSED APPLICATION AND ANY SERVICES PERFORMED OR PROVIDED BY THE LICENSED APPLICATION (“SERVICES”) ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE”, WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND" -KSP EULA. As you can see, you have no legal right to any updates to the version that existed in the moment you purchased KSP. In other words, SQUAD doesn't owe you a thing.

Just now, KerbalSaver said:

THE LICENSED APPLICATION AND ANY SERVICES PERFORMED OR PROVIDED BY THE LICENSED APPLICATION (“SERVICES”) ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE”

I do love me some disclaimer action.

Dark, sad tears. Waiting alone in the cold. Watching pre-release 1.1 steam past through a clouded cobweb-covered window. 

Get it?  STEAM past?

Did you see what I did there? Did you?

*retreats back to refreshing Challenge page in bitter silence*

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Here's some stuff to cheer you up!

---snip---

Ooh lookie, bugs I could be investigating. Believe it or not, I have been following the bugtracker... despite being unable to actually do anything about the bugs.
I see some unpleasant issues that will probably affect me if not squashed before release, and I'd quite like to make sure they are. I have my doubts these will be fixed without more input and as I am running GNU/Linux (second-class citizen again) with a slightly unusual setup, I'm in a position to provide such... Oh, wait, no steam. :mad:

For example, if the release version crashes on start when pulseaudio (which I cannot use, for complicated reasons) isn't running, I will be extremely liquided. More so as I am unable to test it, let alone do anything about it, due to being excluded from the test builds. Note that this is a "low" priority bug, despite potentially making the game unplayable for me.

I don't expect the pre-release to be playable, let alone bug-free. This is what testing is for, and that it needs testing does not change the fact that only a subset of the community gets to participate... based on nothing more substantial than the day you bought the game.

Edited by steve_v

7 hours ago, 322997am said:

I'm willing to bet most of the users are steam so they decided to go with the bigger group.

Your point? Not that it is true anyway , it is not like any one can prove one way or another.  Only Squad could tell us that.

20 minutes ago, mcirish3 said:

Your point? Not that it is true anyway , it is not like any one can prove one way or another.  Only Squad could tell us that.

Well, KSP has more than a million steam users (and that's old data - it was on steamspy until squad removed it about a year ago). Seems unlikely the store servers would be able to handle 10% of that on a typical release cycle, though I guess it's not impossible.

EDIT: some statistics for visits to ksp's website. if you consider each person that buys the game will make many visits to that particular domain, and that many people who have bought the game via the store have since transferred to steam (this includes me and several people I know), that would seem to suggest the steam group is far larger than the store group, though apparently less active on the forums.

Edited by armagheddonsgw