Squad how do my tears taste?

alacrity

I, too, am furious at Squad. As a player who pretty much exclusively buys games on Steam, I was not aware of KSP's existence before it arrived on Steam Early Access in March, 2013. All of you who bought the game directly from the KSP store before me got to play it for almost two years before me. I feel like Squad excluded a huge user base by not immediately putting their game on Steam at the same time as selling it from their online store on June, 2011.

:P Calm down, calm down. I'm just kidding.

In all seriousness, I do sympathize with everyone who isn't getting a preview of 1.1.  I am not going to patronize you and tell you that the 1.1 preview is a crashy mess, that you're not missing anything and blah blah blah. Let's be 100% honest: I'm enjoying the 1.1 preview and the big performance improvement. It's extremely smooth on my system. I'm not running any serious missions (in case I DO run into a fatal crash), I don't expect my preview save to translate to release, and I'm planning on starting over at release, but I seriously feel privileged to be able to test it early. And I do plan on sending bug reports-- I feel obligated!

Sorry if that throws gasoline on the fire, but I'm just being honest about the reality of the situation. From a PR standpoint, Squad probably should have let everyone get the pre-release or no one (except their QA and Experimentals teams, of course).

The current quality of the bug reports on the tracker dismays, as I have managed to reproduce two of the some twenty-nine I've tried to.

Certainly no need to be recrimination about who'd be doing a better job with bug reports at the moment, though.

4 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

Just in case you didn't hear about it yet, SQUAD has stated that if they do a pre-release again, they will try to make it available for everyone.   Hopefully this is visible enough.

Do you have a source on that?  I saw it mentioned earlier, but I haven't seen it from an official Squad source.

2 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

The current quality of the bug reports on the tracker dismays, as I have managed to reproduce two of the some twenty-nine I've tried to.

Certainly no need to be recrimination about who'd be doing a better job with bug reports at the moment, though.

I suppose it is to be expected. Having many people play the game is sure to provide info on more bugs but of course the quality of the reports will not be as good as the fewer QA team's.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I  thought there is a way that you can move over from the KSP Store to Steam. 

3 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

1.1 Prerelease Info

The last question in the FAQ addresses it.

Thank you.  I very rarely look at the forum front page, so I hadn't noticed that addition yet.

4 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I  thought there is a way that you can move over from the KSP Store to Steam. 

For people who purchased the game before a certain point, yes.  For people that purchased afterwards, it's not an option.

32 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

Just in case you didn't hear about it yet, SQUAD has stated that if they do a pre-release again, they will try to make it available for everyone.   Hopefully this is visible enough. [Source: 1.1 Prerelease General information]

Doesn't fix the current problem, the current problem is that many people who supported the game are getting screwed over, I don't want to migrate to Steam even though I could.  This pre-release should have been for everyone, or no one...not just the people who have the game on steam.

Edited by _Aramchek_

I played the prerelease for about an hour yesterday and spent all my time trying to figure out why my Minmus base was breakdancing so I could report a bug. (I never did isolate the problem so have more work to do on that tonight). The point is if you played 1.05 last night you probably had more fun than I did.

I honestly don't understand all the vitriol on the topic. 

13 minutes ago, Basto said:

I honestly don't understand all the vitriol on the topic. 

Me either. I'm away from home this week, can't play KSP at all. Am I crying? Nope. It's called patience. Getting out there, living life, mixing it up a bit.

Then going home and enjoying KSP 1.05 on Steam until such time as it's fixed. :)

28 minutes ago, _Aramchek_ said:

Doesn't fix the current problem, the current problem is that many people who supported the game are getting screwed over, I don't want to migrate to Steam even though I could.  This pre-release should have been for everyone, or no one...not just the people who have the game on steam.

The pre-release is not for players. It is not out so some could enjoy the new version before others. The pre-release is for Squad. It is out so people could play it in ways Squad had no idea someone would ever try, hit bugs and post bug reports. It is out so the fresh eyes would look on it and find things that are wrong that the testers got used to it and stopped noticing it. It is out on Steam only because it was the least demanding option, the Steam had ready what Squad needed.

Stop talking and thinking like this was intentionally done in this way so you would be screwed over. And for Jeb's sake, try reading the tread before posting your uninformed opinion that was posted and rebutted like 15 times before in the same thread you are posting.

I'm one of the guys who has been here a long time. I didn't buy KSP, back then we donated and got a key. Yup, that long ago. I stuck with the store until now.

A sad day really. I can understand why a developer would want to stick to one version for testing and why it is attractive to "outsource" the bandwidth to Steam but I feel that this was a pretty bad decision on Squads part considering KSP's history.

It might be well advised if the people who make the marketing decisions at Squad these days would remember that without those crazy early adopters back in the day who took a risk and donated for a funny little game they would not work on KSP right now. The same goes for all other customers who bought KSP on the Squad store. They are supporting you and KSP directly. Might be a nice idea to remember that occasionally instead of just choosing the path of least resistance.

If loyalty becomes a one way street it's not going to last for long.

1 hour ago, Col_Jessep said:

I'm one of the guys who has been here a long time. I didn't buy KSP, back then we donated and got a key. Yup, that long ago. I stuck with the store until now.

A sad day really. I can understand why a developer would want to stick to one version for testing and why it is attractive to "outsource" the bandwidth to Steam but I feel that this was a pretty bad decision on Squads part considering KSP's history.

It might be well advised if the people who make the marketing decisions at Squad these days would remember that without those crazy early adopters back in the day who took a risk and donated for a funny little game they would not work on KSP right now. The same goes for all other customers who bought KSP on the Squad store. They are supporting you and KSP directly. Might be a nice idea to remember that occasionally instead of just choosing the path of least resistance.

If loyalty becomes a one way street it's not going to last for long.

You know what? I quit. I'm done with this thread. Squad had a technical problem and went with reasonable solution for it and you people act like you found some dude in a bed with your wife. Emos, emos everywhere...

It is attractive to outsource to Steam because:

1. Steam is a popular platform for purchasing games, and that gives KSP more publicity.

2. Using steam takes some of the load that would otherwise be on the store. 

3. Steam already has the infrastructure to support pre-releases and high amounts of traffic, both of which the store can't do, or can't do very well.

1 minute ago, KerbalSaver said:

It doesn't matter.  People who are left out will feel left out no matter what sensible, understandable technical explanations are given.

23 minutes ago, Corw said:

You know what? I quit. I'm done with this thread. Squad had a technical problem and went with reasonable solution for it and you people act like you found some dude in a bed with your wife. Emos, emos everywhere...

Nothing you can say will make the tears stop flowing; this was established conclusively on the original thread that all these responses are copy-pasted from. The choices are to ignore them or enjoy them.

This thread is a good example of why devs don't include or even communicate with their users.

SQUAD made mistakes in the past by releasing updates as fast as possible, and when the users found bugs, the users slammed SQUAD.

SQUAD backed it down a bit, released updates more carefully, got slammed for the inevitable bugs, and released hotfixes.  The users again, slammed SQUAD.

SQUAD tried including the users in the testing process, but because this would cause massive amounts of bandwidth use and because nobody wants them wasting valuable dev time on a pointless updater, they outsourced it to Steam - a platform designed to provide a lot of bandwidth.  Guess who's getting slammed?

I doubt we'll be asked to help beta test the next update, so thank you to all the complainers.

Only fault i see in Squad is not having proper update client, instead of using small patches for every new feature or fixes, you have to download game again, this isn't the best option to have.

19 minutes ago, KerbalSaver said:

1. Steam is a popular platform for purchasing games, and that gives KSP more publicity.

2. Using steam takes some of the load that would otherwise be on the store. 

3. Steam already has the infrastructure to support pre-releases and high amounts of traffic, both of which the store can't do, or can't do very well.

This is all true.  I still hate Steam and am OK with not having access to the pre-release.

Surely at the end of the day Squad should never of let KSP go to version 1.0 without bothering to implement some sort of patching into the game, this is so fundamental to nearly every other computer game out there.

I suppose they could also argue that we've had years of running pre-release clients and beta testing right up to the point version 1.0 came out.

I've been following this thread for a little while now and it's quite interesting to see how much anxiety this "pre-release" has caused.

Obviously (or at least very likely) this so-called "pre-release" is nothing but a marketing move in order to generate enough WOM prior to 1.1 and, the more important console releases, thus having higher sales rate on release.

Why am I so certain? First, of all is the reasoning for bug fixing. I do a bit of for-fun programming and I made a couple of mods for KSP, and to be fair, most bug reports I get are most likely useless. They usually consist of: "I was doing this and this, and then this happens, please help." Sometimes I'll get a bit more information, but usually it's only that - and all honesty, that doesn't really help with anything. Proper bug testing require accurate reproduction, and an in-depth explanation to be able to solve anything. This does not seem to be the case as @DuoDex said in a previous post. It is inconceivable that Squad doesn't know this, which leads me to assume this pre-release is not really intended for bug fixing (at least not as the main reason for publishing a pre-release which may end up costing additional bandwidth and lots and lots of extra management work for their staff. I.e. it cost more money than it's worth).

Which conveniently takes me to the second issue, of Steam-only release and bandwidth. KSP already has its own update tool, thus their servers are suppose to already be able to handle a lot of load. Obviously the initial impact may be quite large as everyone wants to get their hands on the pre-release. However, I sincerely doubt every single user is going to continuously update every day for the latest of the latest release, especially when the game is at its current state. I consider myself a typical casual gamer. I tried the pre-release twice now. Both times it almost immediately unexpectedly crashed to desktop, and I am not going to sit there and update it everyday in hopes of it getting better. I'll happily be playing 1.0.5, while waiting for the proper release. Thus, I have a hard time believing that bandwidth is the primary issue for a Steam only release. However, I do not rule out the possibility. (companies like EA for example, knows that server load is only going to be horrible at launch, thus never bother to do anything about it as it will eventually stable out soon after)

My conclusion is therefore that this "pre-release" is nothing but a marketing tactic. It's hardly playable, despite the impressions you get on youtube, as youtubers will not risk low view-rating and thumbs-downs by including all the (game)crashes. However, since that's the case, a pre-release will fuel the hype-fire since it looks better on video than actually playing it. It also helps with Steam sales and will probably help smooth out the relationship with them, as they are the main publisher. Thus people are probably way better off without the pre-release.

And lastly, even though it may just be a simple marketing gig, I don't think people should be upset about that either. That's just how the video-gaming industry works today, and we (you) as consumer(s) are the one accepting this by fuelling the hype of upcoming/untested/unfinished products. Squad needs to get paid as well, so it's a perfectly acceptable tactic considering today's environment.

Edited by kimiko