Correct installation of Parttools 1.1

spacetackle

Hi everyone, 

I am wondering how to correctly install part tools 1.1 into unity 5? 

If someone could please explain which files get extracted where, that would be fantastic!  (I did manage to get some things working, but could not find the parttools component, only the asset loader and some shaders)

Apologies for my lack of understanding, I am creating my first mod in time for 1.1 release. :)

THANKS! :)

It is very simple.

Start Unity and create a project.  Or open one of you have n existing one.

Then unzip the PartTools.  In it you will see a another zip file and a unity package.  Double click the Unity package.  This will then switch to Unity with an import dialogue.  Click import all and you are good. for that part.  Next unzip that second zip, its like legacy tools or something.  Instead of a unity package it will just be a folder structure.  Find your Unity project on disk and copy that folder structure to the "Assets" folder in your project.  Switch back to Unity and it will detect the change in import them.

17 hours ago, amankd said:

the "legacy" naming is a bit stupid. makes it sound like its 0.23 and so not compatable

My understanding is that Squad will be migrating parts and UI stuff over to the non-Legacy Unity stuff, so although all the existing parts (that I've checked, may not be 100%) still use "Legacy", that system is essentially deprecated, although stuff all is actually moved over except the UI elements.

I agree "legacy" usually infers something more past tense, but I honestly can't think of a better term.

hi, just to say i tried to install it ( before this thread), by doing this and it works ( i'm a noob so there is maybe mistakes):

1- Unzip the PartTools_AssetBundles.unitypackage in the folder ...\Unity\Editor\Standard Assets ( with the others .unitypackage),

now the new package is available when starting a new project,

2- to have the "old style" PartTools,

Take the folder partTools inside the PartToolsLegacy.zip and put it your Assets,

...\Unity Projects\New Unity Project- My mod is awesome\Assets

Edited by Skalou

Thanks for the explanation! What is the difference between the PartToolsLegacy and the new plugins? Or more specifically, for what would I need the new parttools if I still have to install the legacy version? Sorry, bit lost here. :)

if you just do parts, PartTools legacy is enough. if you code plugins and want to load plugin using assetbundles, install assetbundles (I'm not 100% sure on this one). If you want to create KSPedia pages, install assetbundles.

best way to add Assetbundle tools to your project is Assets->Import Package ->Custom Package. 

Edited by nli2work

22 minutes ago, nli2work said:

if you just do parts, PartTools legacy is enough. if you code plugins and want to load plugin using assetbundles, install assetbundles. If you want to create KSPedia pages, install assetbundles.

Thanks!

On 4/2/2016 at 11:02 AM, nli2work said:

if you just do parts, PartTools legacy is enough. if you code plugins and want to load plugin using assetbundles, install assetbundles (I'm not 100% sure on this one). If you want to create KSPedia pages, install assetbundles.

best way to add Assetbundle tools to your project is Assets->Import Package ->Custom Package. 

On the subject of plugins: If you code plugins it is completely unnecessary to ever use the Unity3D editor or bother with asset bundles. I can't even begin to apprehend a scenario where the editor would be necessary or desirable in that regard over using an IDE to write my code, link to the KSP dlls relevant to my plugin and compile.

4 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

On the subject of plugins: If you code plugins it is completely unnecessary to ever use the Unity3D editor or bother with asset bundles. I can't even begin to apprehend a scenario where the editor would be necessary or desirable in that regard over using an IDE to write my code, link to the KSP dlls relevant to my plugin and compile.

The new UI.

You assume wrong. I am talking about using the new UI system. You designs the UI of a mod in the editor and imports it with an assetBundle. This is what I did for the last GCMonitor

The point is for some of us it is so much easier to make a nice looking UI using the standard Unity editor, like a normal dev would do, and then export that and import it into KSP.  That is different from the old method of having to make the entire UI directly via code.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I go about using the 1.1 version of part tools? I have my mesh and everything seems to be installed correctly.

So how do I get my mesh into KSP properly? When I try to open up the part tool menu or add the part tool component it freezes unity with a nullref.

Here is my project file hierarchy:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1gTMo2eemmfkJ0SnNs4JSO7BCIg5J2pWWm_eMMLmhsts/edit?usp=sharing

• 1 month later...

@NecroBones, or any other mod, Any chance to get this thread stickied? Googling for instructions on installing Part Tools (for 1.1), gave lots of ambiguous or incomplete results... After checking almost a page full of suggestions, THIS thread seems to be the best, thanx to Agathorn's post, which seems to be the simplest, most concise, most complete instructions. Also, the following discussion adds more info than any of the other threads I came across... Plus, the title is "perfect"...So unless there's a better thread someone knows of...???

(So, have I sold you on sticky-ing this thread yet? :wink: )

Also, maybe move this to the main Add-On Dvelopment forum (since PartTools covers Modelling AND Plugins), and use this thread to replace the stickied 0.23 Part Tools thread?

Edited by Stone Blue

22 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@NecroBones, or any other mod, Any chance to get this thread stickied?

[...]
Also, maybe move this to the main Add-On Dvelopment forum (since PartTools covers Modelling AND Plugins), and use this thread to replace the stickied 0.23 Part Tools thread?

Done, and done. :)

For anyone finding this and needing to install the part tools, the download thread is here:

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.