1.1 is out!!! what are you building?

hey guys its becoming sort of a tradition for me to ask you guys wat you are building or have build, in the newest version of ksp.

and now 1.1 has its prerelease!!! and its time for me to get back in to kerbal space program :cool:.

so in short show me what you got!!! and inspire me.

(p.s. warring posted ideas may be borrowed/copied/stolen, you have been warned) :P

Edited by soulreaver1981

Mostly seeing if my ships still work for the most part...

PBXFBUf.png

Redid the SK-CRV-Ig4 for 1.1, and well, armor was worsened due to new physics, but since it was never able to tank 10t missiles, nothing new here.  All in all, it seems that weapons have become far more lethal in 1.1, with simple crap like ibeam+4 sepatrons killing the best ships with multiple shots.  Armor being ruined even more aside, ive finally restarted some shelved projects that i just got fed up with since i couldnt really use em due to unbearable lagfest in 1.0.5.

XYnuq0C.png

New carrier works very nicely, although like always, a complete pain in the poophole to get into orbit.  This thing makes macey dean's newest carrier look bad when it comes to difficulty to orbit as the entire thing is a massive wing, doesnt like to be atop a rocket and cant fit in a fairing :D.  That said, im now working on a even larger one thats like 400 parts at a minimum and more true to the image i got the idea for the 1st one from...

Rectifier_Rear_Sml.jpg

If i can get that in KSP itll be epic, too bad i cant pain it black as white looks lame and the paint mod isnt 1.1 compatible.

1 hour ago, Jon144 said:

Stock bearings are barely possible now with the new wheel physics

All of my bearings work as good as they always have...

But then again, i build tanks turrets, and i use structural panels/girders/ibeams/ect, and i never relied on wheels.  If you want i can show you a bearing i have that works 100% fine, and it can actually be utilized for continuous rotation, doesnt jam (unless its shot apart entirely), and is under 50 parts total (25 for the mini version thats a bit buggier but has size of 1x1x1 structural panel total with shaft sticking out of it).

While i know the bearings i have arent optimal for wheels/propellors, they do actually work and ill be glad to give you a subassembly to play with once i do some minor edits to it for constant rotation shaft useage.

Edited by panzer1b

Quite a few posts have been removed from this thread. For the second time, guys, this is a craft-sharing thread in the craft-sharing subforum. Please share craft in it and take other discussions to other parts of the forum. 

The first thing I did was throw out all my habits of reducing part-count and built a giant 500 part mun-base chock full of useless features. And, it ran at 20+ FPS.

3jqqVfW.png

The rocket actually files in REAL TIME. Did you hear? REAL TIME. No 45 minutes of time dilation for a 15 minute launch. No stepping away to eat lunch while Mechjeb flies it. No horrible, painful-to-look-at low FPS. No, for once, I actually ENJOYED flying a giant rocket myself... It almost brings a tear to my eye... 

THIS is what I've always wanted KSP to be!

One minute I was investigating a potential bug, next minute few hours yesterday and few hours today I was launching a giant (around 1,060 parts on the pad, including launcher) cube station, with Jebediah at the controls!

This space station has a monstrous fuel capacity, though its LF + OX storage was only filled up 1/3 of the way, and the LF only tanks were empty at launch. Not to mention that the suborbital/orbital stage used up almost all the LF + OX dumped into the station (this was purposeful, as that stage has no fuel tanks of its own that could make it heavier at launch). It also conveniently comes with a great number of docking ports of all sizes, and the capacity to carry 0-1 kerbals (Jeb is in it at the moment).

It has 8 of the largest stock kerbodyne tanks available, 4 of the half-sized kerbodyne tanks, 10 of the Mk3 to 2.5 meter adapter fuel tanks, and 5 of the Mk3 liquid fuselage long tanks (plus 16 Oscar B fuel tanks on the 8 ejectable orbital stage extensions to the station, to allow fuel pipes to connect to these tanks, and from there to the engines).

This space station is called nothing other than the Dyson Cube. Note that the last picture is deceiving where it is labeled as a lander, as I changed its classification after that picture.

How fast is it, now do you ask? Not too fast, but a huge increase from 1.05, where I was receiving much more lag for an empty, not-well-strutted, launcher-less version of the craft with half the part count on launch. It also is a bit faster in orbit, though not perfect in speed, since it is still over 800 parts in orbit

Edit: Not to mention that it ran decent in its 1.05 state (launcher-less, with not as many struts, and no fuel) in 1.1, where the cube shape crumbled in close to real time.

Edited by LaytheDragon

On 3/31/2016 at 9:50 PM, panzer1b said:

All in all, it seems that weapons have become far more lethal in 1.1, with simple weaponry like ibeam+4 sepatrons killing the best ships with multiple shots

Lsmzszc.png

The small cubic strut + two separtrons missile on the back of this pack can't kill this SAS module that is a blight on one of the five outside faces of my Dyson Cube box-shaped station. Can I see a close-up picture (or, if possible, an animated .gif) of one of these missiles firing, and one hitting a target ship, in KSP 1.1?

Edited by LaytheDragon
Spelled out number.

I am presently attempting to build a military ship, the likes of which this forum has probably seen several times before.

Now with the 64 bit, I can build it much bigger than I ever did before.

Goodbye 600 part limit, hello ungodly part limit.

11 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

Lsmzszc.png

The small cubic strut + two separtrons missile on the back of this pack can't kill this SAS module that is a blight on one of the five outside faces of my Dyson Cube box-shaped station. Can I see a close-up picture (or, if possible, an animated .gif) of one of these missiles firing, and one hitting a target ship, in KSP 1.1?

i said IBEAM + sepatrons, not cubic strut.  Cubic struts were at most a structural element not an impactor, even in the older days.  At a minimum you need a ibeam pushed by something to do any real damage.

v1XkRsp.png

This is just a sample of the weapon im using, 4 sepatrons pushing a long ibeam, which can and will (with enough of them) destroy the toughest ships in KSP.  You still need to aim, and glancing blows wont do much, but this will dislodge structural panels pretty reliably (with proper aim) and focused fire to the core will split any ship in existence (unless its a procedural one which can just reassemble itself aftaer the attack with a few destroyed sections).

y6gV5zY.png

And this is what it looks like on a actual capital ship

1 hour ago, panzer1b said:

i said IBEAM + sepatrons, not cubic strut.  Cubic struts were at most a structural element not an impactor, even in the older days.  At a minimum you need a ibeam pushed by something to do any real damage.

v1XkRsp.png

This is just a sample of the weapon im using, 4 sepatrons pushing a long ibeam, which can and will (with enough of them) destroy the toughest ships in KSP.  You still need to aim, and glancing blows wont do much, but this will dislodge structural panels pretty reliably (with proper aim) and focused fire to the core will split any ship in existence (unless its a procedural one which can just reassemble itself aftaer the attack with a few destroyed sections).

y6gV5zY.png

And this is what it looks like on a actual capital ship

Yes, I saw you said I Beam, it is just that I had a weaker "weapon" equipped before I saw your post. I have another jetpack right at the moment at the same spot, but with two Pocket I Beams (I saw your response post after I made this new jetpack and launched it, and I didn't know if the snug Pocket Edition of the I Beam would work) with separatrons instead, but I wanted to see your missile design so I could hopefully make a future missile more effective.

XMhRKtn.png

Edited by LaytheDragon

I will wait till the official release before I build anything as I have some mods running. The first things I will test are how some of my old high part count builds compare to 1.0.5 but i am keen to see if bearings still work given that the wheel physics are new.

I am proud to report that, partially thanks to @panzer1b 's advice, the I Beam Pocket unguided missiles worked! The wretched SAS module on the side of my station is no more! Despite my pilots having dozed off, I used the probe core's control to shoot a volley of two of these missiles at the SAS module. One of them didn't do its namesake and miss, meaning that my goal of obliterating the large reaction wheel is accomplished, and I can now go forward and dock a crew/out-in-the-open solar panels module to the station.

Well, now that the game is a little more optimized, I want to build even bigger than I did before. My current idea/goal is to make a ~10,000 ton Cargo ship that can ferry around a couple thousands tons of cargo. 

Unfortunately, I'll need to wait for the Welding mod to be updated before actually building it, as 2,500 parts would be too much even for 1.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.