Are you able to download the 1.1 pre-release?

Mjp1050

Are you able to download the pre-release?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are you able to download the pre-release?

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, Daid said:

Your poll is skewed towards the results you favor.

I'm not able to download the 1.1 pre-release. But I also do not care to download it.

Well, in all fairness, the question  is "Are you able to download the 1.1 pre-release?", not "Do you want...", nor "Do you know about..." It's just a simpe yes/no query, and not skewed at all if taken in context.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

Well, in all fairness, the question  is "Are you able to download the 1.1 pre-release?", not "Do you want...", nor "Do you know about..." It's just a simpe yes/no query, and not skewed at all if taken in context.

Yes, but if you read the post that goes with it, the context is suddenly changed, and is about sadness of not being able to provide Squad with valuable test data.

Meh, I'm not bothered if the OP wants to sneak that spin in here. I'm not to happy about it either TBH.

But data is still data, and it's still a simple yes/no question. Taken in the narrow context of the actual (carefully selected) wording, I still see no skew.

You are, of course, free to read whatever meaning you find in the tea leaves lower down.

Edited by steve_v

14 hours ago, regex said:

I bought through the KSP store and am testing the 1.1 pre-release.

So, wait, is your poll about "How many people downloaded from Steam vs. the KSP website?" or is is about "So who bought KSP from the KSP store, and who bought it from Steam?"?

Wait what it is available from the KSP store?

13 hours ago, regex said:

No, you're correct there.

Are you like, trying to gain a correct accounting of how many people have been Left Behind or something?

Doh should have scrolled down. Darn you regex :kiss: :D

I Download from steam, roughly 10-30minutes after the pre-v1.1 beta was avaliable.
Download was fast and smooth and it worked.  ( I did a fresh install and did not reuse any mods or savegames )

I have it on Steam. I can kind of see why it is only available on Steam. This morning I just got a 100 MB update and as said in the 1.1 beta release thread, updates are expected almost every day and so Steam is an easy way to do it. 

4 minutes ago, worir4 said:

I can kind of see why it is only available on Steam. This morning I just got a 100 MB update...

So can I - Steam knows how to deploy a patch properly, without wasting everyones bandwidth. Unlike some others I might mention.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, mcirish3 said:

Not sure how to answer since technically I could if I transferred to steam But, I don't want to transfer to steam so....

Not sure how to answer either, since technically I have the funds to buy a copy on steam...

I don't really mind not being able to partake in the testing, although I would've been honored to contribute (even if it's the tinniest part) to the development of the game I love so much...

Keep up the bug-hunting team steam, can't wait to play 1.1!

Edited by Yakuzi

19 hours ago, steve_v said:

So can I - Steam knows how to deploy a patch properly, without wasting everyones bandwidth. Unlike some others I might mention.

As a software developer, I can say, patching is hard. Especially when accounting for people modding the game. You would complain just as much if the update system would delete all your mods as it sees them as "old files"

1 hour ago, Daid said:

As a software developer, I can say, patching is hard.

It may be 'hard' to do correctly, but it's essentially a one-time time-investment, vs. providing the server and bandwidth requirements to push the entire archive every update, for the life of the game.

1 hour ago, Daid said:

You would complain just as much if the update system would delete all your mods as it sees them as "old files"

The same could be said for anything not distributed in the original archive - e.g. saves, logs, screenshots...
If your patcher manages to mess this up and simply nukes files provided by neither the original nor target version, you get a solid 'F' for fail. Maintaining manifests for each build is not rocket science, and a sane directory structure makes this much easier to manage.

If you just ship a fresh archive, users will have to reinstall all their 'old files' anyway, either that or roll the dice with an in-place overwrite and bug you when it breaks things. What's likely to cause more chaos, a tool you have control over or J. Random end-user?

A patcher should include a file-integrity checker too of course - how many issues are solved with "verify your steam cache"? 
This is another quality of life feature store users do not have. - We get "do a fresh download + install" then have to copy over mods, saves etc. anyway.

A working patcher is a win for everyone - less server load, faster and more consistent updates, and less aggro for (and from) users when updating. Recon this might be why most other games push patches?

If the 'hard' outweighed the benefits, nobody would bother... but they do.

Anyhow, this is drifting off topic, so I'll shut up now.

Edited by steve_v

Nope, bought KSP in the store before there was even a thought of offering the game on Steam, and no, I don't want to 'upgrade' or attach my store account to my Steam one. KSP is typical a game you don't want Steam to handle. :lol:

I feel it's bad public relations not to offer the pre-release zip file through the shop as well for those who made it possible to even go with a Steam version, but hey, patience is a virtue, so I'll wait.... And oh boy, will I start nagging you when I find any bug after the final release. :cool:

Greets,

Jan

Edited by Jananton
typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.