Real Ships - Version 0.1 Released!

Azimech

Real Ships

This mod is aimed at creating realistic sea vessels, docks and buildings; based on my other mods WW2 Warships and Big Ships. It combines a large list of configurable parts for creating ships of any class, any size in any time period. Ships can really sink instead of just fall apart and stay afloat. Very versatile mod with a lot of new parts and minimal texturing, inviting to paint everything YOU like.

When the hull gets damaged, a compartment will simulate a flooding. If too many compartments flood, the ship will sink.

Real Ships has:

• The ability to construct your hull in any shape or configuration, with the interiour you like.
  • Realistic mass.
  • The ability to damage and sink vessels like in WW2 Warships.
  • Configurable armor protection.
  • Use KerbPaint for giving anything the colour you like, tertiary masks for creating stripes on runways, carrier decks, helicopter platforms etc.
  • The ability to build roads, docks, fortifications, airstrips, floating or land based cities & bases ... right from the editor.

It will probably have:

• Multiple material types, each with their own unique properties.
  • Multiple power sources and propulsion types.

Possible additions could be:

• Tech tree, realistic prices and a contract pack.

Features the following parts:

• Boiler in three sizes and two types for a total of six, run on heavy fuel oil, create steam.
  • Electrical generator in two sizes, run on steam.
  • Ship turbine, three sizes, main propulsion. run on steam.
  • Bow thruster, currently one size, runs on steam.
  • Keel. The backbone of every ship. Six sizes. Contains fuel.
  • Frame parts, lots. For creating the skeleton of your hull. Provides buoyancy for your ship.
  • Hull plating, This belongs directly attached to the frame parts. Multiple sizes. Configurable armor rating.
  • Generic plating, for building anything like superstructure, ship internals, carrier decks, small roads, building walls, you name it. Configurable armor rating.
  • Dock parts, for creating land based or floating bases, runways, roads, docks, buildings etc.
  • Heavy ship strut for when you increase the armor rating of your ship to much and it's hull starts to buckle under it's own weight (read: invoke the Kraken).
  • Funnels in three sizes.
  • Rudders in three sizes.
  • Ballast tanks for building submarines, with embedded system for buoyancy control.

What else:

• Energy management will be key, there is a limited amount of power, and the boiler needs to heat up (takes minutes) before giving enough of it, depending on demand.
  • Old style boilers have a fixed fuel consumption and they always run at 100%. If you're running at a thrust & speed setting lower than power requirement for a long time, it's best to switch off 1 or more boilers! Also, they don't produce smoke nor sound.
  • New boilers can be throttled, produce smoke and sound and have a much nicer fuel consumption.
  • Electrical generators can save the day! In case of a hull breach, powerful bilge pumps can pump away water but there's a limit. And with too much generators running, they'll compete with your propulsion.

Building tutorial:
Sorry, not yet ready. But you can take apart the ship that's included with the mod.

FAQ:
Also not yet ready. I can't copy & paste the old one because too much has changed.

Real ships needs the following mod:
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. For anyone playing the 1.1 pre-release: it works but if you run into issues, don't contact ferram4 or write in the KJR topic! Ferram4 has clearly stated he won't update KJR until 1.1. There's an unofficial update which works fine with Real Ships in build 1196, which you can find in the KJR topic.

Real ships does not shine without:
KerbPaint. There's a pre-release version for 1.1. It has a few bugs but they're easy to work around. More info in the official topic, be sure to read the last 3 pages.

Real ships can be a lot easier to use with:
VesselMover.  For transporting ships to the water. Is more flexible than Hyperedit for moving and you can set up a fleet easily. Still waiting for it's 1.1 update.
Hyperedit. Great for a lot of things, especially balancing armor.
Kerbal Engineer. What part am I looking at?
V.O.I.D. Has the best HUD.
Hangar Extender. Unless you fancy swinging 100+ meter ships back and forth with the editor offset gadget.
Editor Extensions. The 1.1 version has No Offset Limits embedded in it's code. I personally can't live without it.

Some pictures of what is possible:

Floating base with dock and airstrip.

yuJuTtHl.png

Warships (in this case a WW2 heavy cruiser).

eEiprwml.png

If a weather mod will resurface, there will be the ability to really sail.

FkB8Mtbl.png

Large dock with a real sized aircraft carrier and heavy cruiser.

pQbTa00l.png

Large cargo ships. This one is 200m. long.

YtcsVC3l.png

r8asm2Zl.png

Part of the to do list:

• Custom category (partly done with help from @Toonu, thank you!) - Awaiting mod update.
  • Multiple material types, all with their own unique properties (wood, steel, iron, concrete). Pending.
  • Deck, structural and hull plating A classes will be combined to a single one in the editor. - Done
  • Modified buoyancy/damage system. - Currently balancing.
  • Armor/strength modifier. - Currently balancing.
  • More custom 3D models aimed at reducing part count, with a more realistic appearance. - Partly done.
  • Adapt some of Infernal Robotics so docks and ships can have working cranes, elevators, doors etc. - Pending.
  • If possible, a custom version of Procedural Parts and Procedural Wings. - Pending.
  • Introducing curved panels for building more organic shapes. - Texturing/Unity hell.
  • Multiple engine & propulsion types. - Pending.
  • Creating KerbPaint masks for runways, roads, carrier decks, helicopter platforms. - Done.
  • Submarine parts. - 30% done.

The primary goal is to reduce editor part clutter and hopefully craft part count. After Firespitter/B9 have been updated, I'll be looking at adapting the plugins to work with Real Ships.

Until now, I've done all the work myself. I'd like to team up. Any help from coders/modelers is much appreciated, if interested, drop me a PM.

KSP 1.0.5 is not supported. It may work fine out of the box. Take your chances.

Download Link

Edited by Azimech

The good news: the basic system works with 1.1 without problems, and the main dependencies, KJR and KerbPaint are progressing towards 1.1 compatibility.

The bad news: there is no bad news.

• 2 weeks later...

Real Ships 0.1 is online! See OP.

Changelog Real Ships 0.1 (internal version 0.6):

* Replaced Deck Plating, Structural Plating and Hull Plating A with a single type (Generic Plating).
* Added editor option to configure most parts with armor at the expense of mass.
* Hull Plating B is now simply called Hull Plating. Needs to be attached to Frame parts. Read description!
* Made keels heavier and added fuel.
* Introduced new frame parts for building ship hulls. Read description!
* Reworked ballast tank, for building submarines.
* Added parts for building docks, bases, runways, roads and buildings.
* Made most parts paintable on both sides.
* Added special masks to Dock and Generic parts, it's the tertiary mask in KerbPaint.
* Fixed bug with ship turbines, the animation spins both forward & reverse now.

Problems in 0.1:
* Ship turbines and electrical generators have no sound due to a new stock bug in KSP 1.1.
* Triangular shaped panels are not paintable on both sides yet due to Unity giving me a hard time.
* Stock bugs involving exploding/destroyed ships when entering physics range are not yet completely solved. Squad is working on them.
* Re-balancing buoyancy, mass, damage rating and armor rating needs a lot more work.

On 31/03/2016 at 6:21 AM, Azimech said:

If a weather mod will resurface, there will be the ability to really sail.

Pun intended?

Anyway, what do you mean by "pending", referring to the "multiple engine & propulsion types" tab on the to-do list? What engine types will you be creating?

Edited by Matuchkin

At last! Projekt Anderen Boote (take a guess as to what it is) will begin construction soon!

By the way, how about a Diesel engine for smaller craft like motor boats or submarines? It would fit better than a boiler for what I plan to build with this mod...

13 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

At last! Projekt Anderen Boote (take a guess as to what it is) will begin construction soon!

By the way, how about a Diesel engine for smaller craft like motor boats or submarines? It would fit better than a boiler for what I plan to build with this mod...

A diesel is on my wish list, yes.

I just discovered I forgot to include the ballast tank, it will be included in the next version. Other problem: Seems BDArmory only uses crash tolerance for applying weapon damage. This way adjustable armor does not have an effect yet.

9 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

@AzimechIs there a tutorial on safely switching from WW2Warships to Realships? Since right now HMS Hood won't load with all the parts missing.

I can think of a system so WW2W/BS and RS can co-exist (although it would be messy in the editor) so people can rebuild their ships. The transition would involve rebuilding parts of it, sometimes it's as easy as using an editor like Notepad++ to find and replace old parts with new ones. The basic hull structure however, is very different and is not backwards compatible. The good news is 1.1 doesn't break WW2W and BS and I can support them ... maybe I'll even update them for a while.

7 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I can think of a system so WW2W/BS and RS can co-exist (although it would be messy in the editor) so people can rebuild their ships. The transition would involve rebuilding parts of it, sometimes it's as easy as using an editor like Notepad++ to find and replace old parts with new ones. The basic hull structure however, is very different and is not backwards compatible. The good news is 1.1 doesn't break WW2W and BS and I can support them ... maybe I'll even update them for a while.

So essentially right now the only way is to just go and edit the craft configs?

Edited by SaturnianBlue

5 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

So essentially right now the only way is to just go and edit the craft configs?

Until I've found a way to do so, I wouldn't edit anything but use WW2W in KSP 1.1 :wink:

And you'd probably like the curved panels I'm working on for a future update :cool:

On 4/13/2016 at 1:58 PM, Azimech said:

With enough manpower and computing power ... who knows where a mod like this can be in ten years time? Just dreaming.

Look at this tour of an engine room. Mind = blown.

The incredible team of people it takes to produce these types ships are so amazing it's mind boggling.

I tried to load up the ship included with the mod so I can figure how how I might want to go about constructing ships, but it can't load because a some parts are missing. This may be a problem on my end, like me forgetting to install a mod that the ship uses.

I was going to ask about the ballast tank, but now I see that you just forgot to include it.

5 hours ago, ckirky said:

how lagy are these parts/ships? (scale of 1-10)

It all depends on what you want to do with it. The fact that it's meant voor KSP 1.1 obviously helps. Since this mod is aimed at creating realistic ships you'll need more parts than with monolithic hulls the other mods offer, a ratio of about 10 : 1. Today that seems a lot but it's aimed at the future with the ever increasing CPU power. It does give you a lot more freedom for creativity.

4 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

all of your recommended mods don't work except V.O.I.D. and hangar extender

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is updated for 1.1, KerbPaint works but is still a bit wonky on Windows, doesn't work yet on Apple & Linux. Editor Extensions Redux is fully functional. Vesselmover needs an update.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.