Next generation thermometer bearing/hinge 1.1 compatable

Like I don't have enough WIP going on right now :D I saw a Jeep on the road today and you know with Kerbal on the brain I gotta make it when I like it! This Trailer Hitch is amazing thanks to your Tiny Hinge!

THE MJ TINY HINGE STRIKES AGAIN!

NB8RfKO.png

6 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Like I don't have enough WIP going on right now :D I saw a Jeep on the road today and you know with Kerbal on the brain I gotta make it when I like it! This Trailer Hitch is amazing thanks to your Tiny Hinge!

THE MJ TINY HINGE STRIKES AGAIN!

NB8RfKO.png

Oh boy do I love a trailer! That looks awesome, I love the rover! 

What could go on the trailer I wonder?

15 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Oh boy do I love a trailer! That looks awesome, I love the rover! 

What could go on the trailer I wonder?

Thank you, as for what to put on the trailer that's a good question 

54 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Now we just need to make a boat to fit on the trailer

That is already done for the Diesel Rig Set I am working on. Jedediah's boat is so big he hauls it with a Diesel Truck :cool:. I tell ya trucks and trailers have never been so much fun. Steering is as sensitive as the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2017 at 4:20 PM, Castille7 said:

Thank you, as for what to put on the trailer that's a good question 

That is already done for the Diesel Rig Set I am working on. Jedediah's boat is so big he hauls it with a Diesel Truck :cool:. I tell ya trucks and trailers have never been so much fun. Steering is as sensitive as the real thing.

This is too awesome! Making and using craft like this is such a joy! To see all the parts working together to create the feeling of a real vehicle or mechanism is for me one of the greatest things about this game.

I salute your skill and imagination @Castille7!

46 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

This is too awesome! Making and using craft like this is such a joy! To see all the parts working together to create the feeling of a real vehicle or mechanism is for me one of the greatest things about this game.

I salute your skill and imagination @Castille7!

Wow! thank you for the wonderful compliment :blush: I feel honored with a comment like that coming from you! :) 

2 hours ago, Castille7 said:

Wow! thank you for the wonderful compliment :blush: I feel honored with a comment like that coming from you! :) 

Awww you. :kiss: That made my day. :)

I'm very jealous of your awesome boats man. Keep up the great work!

• 3 weeks later...

So this worked on the second try...

LX0LtlC.png

JSF engine hinge, using two thermometer hinges. It still explodes 50% of the time, but I have gotten a down/up/down/up cycle in sucessfully. Any tips how to make this hinge stronger? The problems come when the Communotron 16 clips through the thermometers, releasing the engine.

5 hours ago, Servo said:

Any tips how to make this hinge stronger?

You guys are amazing! You have taken what was designed as a door hinge for my Duna direct lander and made so many different things from it, which is all kinds of awesome!

Remember though that it was designed as a low stress door hinge and as such it has inherent weakness..

The version @klond made with an RCS block in the center instead of an antenna is MUCH stronger for applications such as this. Give that a go and see how you get on. :)

As suggested, the C16 was replaced by a RCS block, and it's working like a charm. The hinge is extremely strong, as it now holds back two panthers while the plane is in flight.

RJpSx6h.png

I went ahead and built the F-35 around it, and took it for a spin. I was extremely impressed with how easy it was to balance thrust despite having throttle control on only two engines. I took off and landed twice without incident, so I can attest to it's responsibility at the hands of an untrained pilot.

FEiV4aw.png

Here's the guts of the mechanism, if anyone wants to replicate it. In addition to the engines, the part that detaches needs a probe core, fuel, and a decent supply of intake air. There is a circular intake clipped into the two engines to make them look nicer, plus the fuel tank (set to high priority so it doesn't drain in level flight), and an OKTO2 for control. It's really simple, and works remarkably well.

Edited by Servo

35 minutes ago, Servo said:

As suggested, the C16 was replaced by a RCS block, and it's working like a charm. The hinge is extremely strong, as it now holds back two panthers while the plane is in flight.

RJpSx6h.png

I went ahead and built the F-35 around it, and took it for a spin. I was extremely impressed with how easy it was to balance thrust despite having throttle control on only two engines. I took off and landed twice without incident, so I can attest to it's responsibility at the hands of an untrained pilot.

FEiV4aw.png

Here's the guts of the mechanism, if anyone wants to replicate it. In addition to the engines, the part that detaches needs a probe core, fuel, and a decent supply of intake air. There is a circular intake clipped into the two engines to make them look nicer, plus the fuel tank (set to high priority so it doesn't drain in level flight), and an OKTO2 for control. It's really simple, and works remarkably well.

Oh my God that is amazing...

I love the compact hinge, it's enabled me to do something I have wanted to try for a while - use the N4435 Narrow-Band Scanner as a drive motor.  I'm not sure if it's feasible to attach propellers to this since this capture was done during the very first test of the concept, but it works surprisingly well right from the start.  Awesome job with the hinge, I have a bunch of ideas on how it could be used.

giphy.gif

- Jett

Just now, Jett_Quasar said:

I love the compact hinge, it's enabled me to do something I have wanted to try for a while - use the N4435 Narrow-Band Scanner as a drive motor.  I'm not sure if it's feasible to attach propellers to this since this capture was done during the very first test of the concept, but it works surprisingly well right from the start.  Awesome job with the hinge, I have a bunch of ideas on how it could be used.

giphy.gif

- Jett

Nice work dude! And thanks!

Yup the scanner makes an excellent 'motor' it is what I used to power my early tank track experiments:

I don't know if the rotation speed is high enough to provide lift though. The blades would have to be huge!

Edited by Majorjim!

5 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Nice work dude! And thanks!

Yup the scanner makes an excellent 'motor' it is what I used to power my early tank track experiments:

I don't know if the rotation speed is high enough to provide lift though. The blades would have to be huge!

Yeah I've been working on it a bit more and it definitely doesn't have enough speed or torque to do anything useful (funny though, my final solution ended up looking a lot like your video - explosions and all!).  I may still be able to make a compact spinning propeller though.  With some jet assist it could add that little extra to the classic designs.

- Jett  

Majorjim, it's hard to tell the size of your hinge as I haven't downloaded it yet, but I'm wondering if this hinge would work on a small door (2x2 structural panel).  I need a deployable rover ramp and I'm tired of messing with placement of antenna hinges!

Edited by Biggen

2 minutes ago, Biggen said:

Majorjim, it's hard to tell the size of your hinge as I haven't downloaded it yet, but I'm wondering if this hinge would work on a small door (2x2 structural panel).  I need a deployable rover ramp and I'm tired of messing with placement of antenna hinges!

Yes of course! It's tiny! The smallest possible. 

The antenna hinge is just a variation of this made after this was released. They can both be quite fiddly so if you need any help I am happy to assist. 

5 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Yes of course! It's tiny! The smallest possible. 

The antenna hinge is just a variation of this made after this was released. They can both be quite fiddly so if you need any help I am happy to assist. 

Great!  I'll give it a try when I get home!

On 2/4/2017 at 7:26 AM, Jett_Quasar said:

giphy.gif

- Jett

Foosball table anyone? Have the thermometers on action groups, with a ball in the middle that can be knocked around. It really depends on how the scanner behaves when turned on and off.

For some reason I keep thinking about designs that use this little bearing to make things that spin... Once again I used the scanner to drive the rotation, it has about the right speed for that.  An earlier version was flying fairly consistently, but had absolutely no control.  Who knows, maybe a flying saucer is next.

Not sure if I should post this to Kerbal-X or not - it still needs work.

- Jett

The thermometer hinge has been a huge component to the recreation of the Scorpion MBT from Halo (both parts count and the suspension :D ). It's fairly compact and serves the same function as the "real" suspension in the game. Steering controls could use some work, includes tank turret bearing (the traditional style :) )   

vB8mhw8.pngYhU4wyh.pnggqEhxSf.png

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

11 hours ago, Jett_Quasar said:

For some reason I keep thinking about designs that use this little bearing to make things that spin... Once again I used the scanner to drive the rotation, it has about the right speed for that.  An earlier version was flying fairly consistently, but had absolutely no control.  Who knows, maybe a flying saucer is next.

Not sure if I should post this to Kerbal-X or not - it still needs work.

- Jett

That's great man! Maybe tweak it a bit then release it.

8 hours ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

The thermometer hinge has been a huge component to the recreation of the Scorpion MBT from Halo (both parts count and the suspension :D ). It's fairly compact and serves the same function as the "real" suspension in the game. Steering controls could use some work, includes tank turret bearing (the traditional style :) )   

vB8mhw8.pngYhU4wyh.pnggqEhxSf.png

I love this suspension system you made! Have you released this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.