KN LC Battleship, Suggestion Thread for Elcano Challenge

Recently, I have announced that I am going to complete the Elcano Challenge on Earth.

I have made this vessel, a light cruiser called the KN LC- a navy cruiser, retrofitted to suit the crew of researchers who are going to be spending their time on it for more than a few months.

There is no interior, as the ship was made with the Large Ship Parts mod. However, the top is fitted with everything.

The main reason why I created this thread is because I want my Elcano challenge to be a community-friendly project, and I want to get everyone to have a say in what I do.

Here's the album, see for yourself:  http://imgur.com/a/e0vOv

-Updated version: http://imgur.com/a/YiZfV

-New proposed ship: http://imgur.com/a/FchNv

- This is a suggestion thread. Please post some, instead of complaining about the imgur screenshots, my existence, etc. I hope you are aware that the whole project is a WIP.

Edited by Matuchkin

Don't sweet it about no one responding, usually nobody responds to me. But anyways now just is just a suggestion, not hating on the imgur but its better to take pics in the sunlight. How many parts is that? seems like a lot. So does any route make you go on land? If so how can It move?

Edited by Dfthu

22 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

Don't sweet it about no one responding, usually nobody responds to me. But anyways now just is just a suggestion, not hating on the imgur but its better to take pics in the sunlight. How many parts is that? seems like a lot. So does any route make you go on land? If so how can It move?

I had to hurry with my imgur pictures, so sorry about that. The ship is somewhere around 160 parts.

Also, my route does not go on land, you can see my proposed routes on this forum page:

As for the movement, I am currently waiting for a mod with electric boat propellers.

36 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

But how would I use a plane propeller as a boat propeller?

Well, KSP does not accurately simulate hydrodynamics.  It's approximated with higher drag and buoyancy.  Also, even mod propellers work like rocket engines, providing a simple source of thrust, so it wouldn't matter what kind of engine you used.  However, @Azimech makes a mod with boat engines, mostly simulating the boiler system.  Actually, you might already be using his mod.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

17 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Actually, you might already be using his mod.

WW2 warships? I can't find half of the parts. Also, those are diesel engines. Actual WW2 warships, using diesel engines, could probably cross the Mediterranean (or something), but they could certainly not go around the world.

5 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

WW2 warships? I can't find half of the parts. Also, those are diesel engines. Actual WW2 warships, using diesel engines, could probably cross the Mediterranean (or something), but they could certainly not go around the world.

Diesels? Almost all warships I know used steam turbines, except submarines.

8 hours ago, Azimech said:

Diesels? Almost all warships I know used steam turbines, except submarines.

Anyways, my point is: The Bismarck, one of the best ships in the German Navy, had a range of 15,788km. The Tirpitz pushed that to over 16,000km.

My most-voted route pushes 40,000km. I need electric props if I don't want to run out of steam in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean (not a good place to run out of steam).

3 hours ago, Azimech said:

What are the problems? Did you read the FAQ in the main topic?

Yes, I did. I have part doubling (for the medium bow thruster), and am at a complete loss of other parts. I followed your instructions, but I could not manage to solve the problem. I had the files as:

KSP/ Gamedata/ WW2Warships + WW2 Shared + BS Shared + BigShips. (I added "WW2" and "BS" prefixes to several files, to categorize them)

The folder structure should be like this:

• Big Ships
  • Shared
  • WW2 Warships.

The Shared folder is for both. Delete the whole 77Industries folder, then from both WW2 Warships and Big Ships zip files just copy the 77Industries folder to your root Gamedata folder and choose overwrite when asked.

Edited by Azimech

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.