[1.1] Probe Low Power Mode - Hibernation mod

JoePatrick1

This is a fairly simple mod, it adds the option to put your probes into low power mode. Whilst in this state, your probe cores will only use 0.5% of their usual power however you cannot control the craft whilst in low power mode. This is useful for early game probes with limited power and also as a precaution in case your panels are not facing the sun during long journeys.

You can change the low power mode percentage from 0.5% to whatever you want in the LowPowerProbe.cfg file found in the mod folder.

This should work with most other probe mods however if it doesn't you can simply copy and paste the module from the cfg in the mod folder into the cfg of the probe from the mod.

Download Here
Source Code

TS7TLbV.jpg

Edited by JoePatrick1

12 minutes ago, thunder175 said:

RemoteTech compatible? Or does this impact RT in any way? In other words, if I have RT installed and go into low power mode, will I be able to reactivate with a WAKE UP command or will RT cause a loss of contact with the probe?

Haven't tested with remote tech. I think it will work as normal, you disable low power mode with a GUI button rather than a command or anything but you'll have to give it a go

39 minutes ago, Arget said:

Is that you from the reddit post ?

Thanks for this, awesome

It's me ;)

been looking for something like this.

The only mod I'd be curious about compatibility with (besides RT) is AmpYear. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Thanks.

--edit--

@JoePatrick1Shouldn't the MM config patch read:

@PART[*]:HAS[#vesselType[Probe]]:FOR[ProbeLowPower]

I mean, your's obviously works, I've just been told it's good practice to have the FOR check or whatever. I could be wrong though.

Also, if you really wanted to be fancy, you could include in the patch a check for minimumCrew = 0, since (again, I could be wrong here) that always signifies a probe, but vesselType = probe doesn't necessarily (although it usually does). A "probe" could have a vesselType = Base and still be a probe, but not minCrew >0, if you follow me. I just mention this because I personally have created a number of probes that don't use vesselType probe.

Cheers.

Edited by Deimos Rast
update

10 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

been looking for something like this.

The only mod I'd be curious about compatibility with (besides RT) is AmpYear. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Thanks.

--edit--

@JoePatrick1Shouldn't the MM config patch read:

@PART[*]:HAS[#vesselType[Probe]]:FOR[ProbeLowPower]

I mean, your's obviously works, I've just been told it's good practice to have the FOR check or whatever. I could be wrong though.

Also, if you really wanted to be fancy, you could include in the patch a check for minimumCrew = 0, since (again, I could be wrong here) that always signifies a probe, but vesselType = probe doesn't necessarily (although it usually does). A "probe" could have a vesselType = Base and still be a probe, but not minCrew >0, if you follow me. I just mention this because I personally have created a number of probes that don't use vesselType probe.

Cheers.

I've never used module manager before so I don't really know what I'm doing. Though doesn't module manager run on each part when the ship is loaded which would mean I couldn't use the minimum crew as I change this from 0 to 1 in order to disable control so if someone went to space centre with low power mode on, it would have minimumCrew = 1, then it wouldn't add the module and they wouldn't be able to disable it. I could be completely wrong, I suppose the cfg is changed by the mod, I'll have to test it.

Edited by JoePatrick1

Suggestion: Would love to see a message pop up if you try to control a hibernating probe. Just some text in the lower right corner or something. I can see myself putting a probe asleep and forgetting about it, then being really confused why it doesn't work. Of course if I'm patient enough to dig around I'd realize sooner or later, but a warning message would be nice. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, JoePatrick1 said:

Should do but not yet tested

Are you planning on porting this to 1.2?

Not sure if it's needed, since 1.2 includes this:

• Probe cores now have a hibernate feature which offers only partial control when activated but draws much less electricity. Can be set to automatically hibernate in warp (advanced tweakable).

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.