[1.8+] DebugStuff - (2020-06-29) See the hidden secrets of the game objects

sarbian

20 minutes ago, alexus said:

Debug button does not work. v1.4.5

Ummm, worked for me.  I just installed the version posted a few messages up.

What button are you talking about?  This mod doesn't have a button, it is activated by typing alt-P

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi @sarbian, Firstly - thanks again for a useful tool - it's quite handy when working out what's going on in the game.

Had a question - Under the Module: ModuleWheelBase there is a 'radius' setting for... ummm.. something. When changing this value in the wheel part cfg file, I can see its effect on the wheel by how far the wheel model is above the ground or sunken into the ground.

However, I can't see this object that this radius setting controls in the debugstuff tool. Is this something that could be visible using this tool? Or is the problem that this isn't an object that I'm changing the radius?
For reference, Below images are of a wheel set to a radius of 0.2, 0.4 & 0.1. I've cycled through the PART and OBJECT options down to level 90 looking at both bounds and colliders and I don't see anything on screen that scales with the radius setting.

Radius=0.2 (For reference - This is close to the correct radius setting for the wheel - about 0.24)
MH1Ml7rl.png

Radius=0.4 ('something' is now too large and results in a floating wheel)
NQvI2HXl.png

Radius=0.1 ('something' is now too small and results in a wheel clipping into the ground)
Iw9Qyb5l.png

Edited by wile1411

7 hours ago, wile1411 said:

However, I can't see this object that this radius setting controls in the debugstuff tool. Is this something that could be visible using this tool? Or is the problem that this isn't an object that I'm changing the radius?

It is not an object. I could display it as a cylinder or a circle but it is not related to a mesh or a collider (AFAIK)

3 hours ago, sarbian said:

It is not an object. I could display it as a cylinder or a circle but it is not related to a mesh or a collider (AFAIK)

Thanks Sarbian. It would be great if it could be visible. I had the impression it was a collider, but that was only based on the wording of the ModuleWheelBase settings that I was playing with. Do you know what the correct terminology I should use for it? Also, for my understanding, do you know if the settings are adjusting something that is part of the model or is it something that the game add at runtime?

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Ruedii said:

Cool!  Should be stock! 

Is there any way you could move this to insert this into the Stock Debug panel? 

Ohh that would be awesome... I could play stock again if that happened!

• 2 weeks later...

Edit: added supported for WheelCollider, PR submitted

56808474-7552a400-67e6-11e9-9301-82807e3

----- Original post -----

On 2/28/2019 at 1:34 PM, wile1411 said:

do you know if the settings are adjusting something that is part of the model or is it something that the game add at runtime?

Somewhat late but @wile1411 looks like you are referring to config fields such as these from RoveMax Model M1 (roverWheel1)

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWheelBase

wheelColliderTransformName = WheelCollider		
		wheelTransformName = WheelPivot

wheelType = MOTORIZED

// setting this to true will override the radius and center parameters
		FitWheelColliderToMesh = False		
		radius = 0.378
		center = 0,0,0
		mass = 0.040
		groundHeightOffset = 0

// ..
	}

Those values for radius, center, etc are for vehicle physics, e.g. position the part accordingly with wheel center at radius above terrain mesh. It doesn't involve any visual part of the model (i.e. meshes) nor use any "traditional" collider (e.g. one of the primitive colliders or a MeshCollider -- though a collider is still needed in your model if you don't want kerbals walking right through the wheel, just won't be used for vehicle physics.) I believe this is using a WheelCollider. The flag FitWheelColliderToMesh looks like it provides a mechanism to derive the radius/center values automatically from the model mesh (and thus, as the comment suggests, will override values in the cfg.)

However it is not strictly correct to say that the WheelCollider is not an object -- it is in fact part of the GameObject hierarchy that DebugStuff pulls out and dumps, second from bottom for roverWheel1:

[DebugStuff]
+roverWheel1 T:Untagged L:0 (Default)
|   Transform - roverWheel1
|   Part - roverWheel1
|   Highlighter - roverWheel1
|   // blah blah blah
|   AudioSource - roverWheel1
|   Rigidbody - roverWheel1
| 
 --+model T:Untagged L:0 (Default)
   |   Transform - model
   | 
   |--+roverWheel1 T:Untagged L:0 (Default)
   |  |   Transform - roverWheel1
   |  | 
   |  ( // a whole lot of stuff )
   |                   
   |---WheelCollider T:Untagged L:0 (Default)
   |      Transform - WheelCollider
   |      WheelCollider - WheelCollider
   |    
    ---Surface Attach Collider T:Untagged L:0 (Default)
          Transform - Surface Attach Collider
          SphereCollider - Surface Attach Collider

But it isn't one of those that DebugStuff shows when drawing colliders.

Edited by cakepie
fix PR'ed

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.