[1.4.x] Kerbal Sports: Jebediah Kerman's Fishing Challenge [v1.1.0] [2018-03-22]

nightingale

On 04/06/2014 at 4:51 PM, regex said:

Fishing is truly the future of KSP. I'd love to throw a line off the edge of a barge and while away the time...

The most requested feature of KSP is not a delta-V readout, but fishing.  Now you too can relax and catch some fish while you wait for the recovery team to come and pick you up from the other side of Kerbin.  What was first featured on as Scott Manley's April Fool's Day 2016 joke on his channel is and always was a mod that you too can play!

Download

CKAN: Look for "Kerbal Sports" on CKAN.

GitHub: Kerbal Sports can be downloaded from GitHub.

Source

The full source is available on GitHub.

Change Log

Spoiler

Kerbal Sports 1.1.0

• Support for KSP 1.4.1
  • Added support for localization.

Kerbal Sports 1.0.5

• Fixed black screen/exceptions on scene change (thanks politas).

Kerbal Sports 1.0.4

• Release with KSP 1.1.1 compatibility (for CKAN).

Kerbal Sports 1.0.3

• Fixed issues with alternate keybindings from previous release.

Kerbal Sports 1.0.2

• Added alternate keybinding for systems without two CTRL buttons (apple key or arrow keys can be used in place of CTRL).

Kerbal Sports 1.0.1

• Fixed not fishing log spam and broken animations (thanks YellowApple).

Kerbal Sports 1.0.0

• Initial release.

Special Thanks

• regex - For posting silly comments on the forums that inspired this mod.
  • Scott Manley - For being an excellent sport and doing up a video for me right before he had to leave on vacation.
  • Mad Rocket Scientist - For putting up an April Fool's Day Fishing Challenge.
  • The "plant" team for posting disinformation on the forum and elsewhere to get people to believe this was in the KSP 1.1 public pre-release:
    • AlphaAsh
    • Avera9eJoe
    • nobodyhasthis2
    • smjjames
  • MrHappyFace for making Kerbal Animation Suite, which I used for the animations

License

Kerbal Sports is licensed under the CC-BY-NC-SA license.

btn_donate_SM.gif Like what you see? Consider donating to the coffee fund! It will not go directly to supporting this or other mods under my care, but it may keep my motivation up!

Edited by nightingale

Funny thing is, this seems like a really fun mod and something that could help pass the time if you ever stop off by a lake, river or beach on a long haul flight :D!

Can't wait to install. I also hope to see some more silly things and features from this!

Edited by MightyDarkStar

Well played, sir. That's actually a really nice mod tbh.

Could we also expect kerbals running with golf clubs scoring birdies on the Mun at some point in the future? I would love to see that.

1 minute ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

@nightingale!  Some clever use of the Kerbal Animation Suite.

That's awesome. After reading in past dev blogs about the hardship of making kerbal animations, I was prepared to believe from Manley's video that Dan Rosas did it.  But I've also read that the new system should make it easier.

3 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

Who made the Kerbal animation? 

3 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

@nightingale!  Some clever use of the Kerbal Animation Suite.

Yup, big thanks to @MrHappyFace for that.  There's a few things that are a little bit unintuitive in the UI, but once you get it all figured out it's really easy to use.

I suspect that with KSP 1.1's ability to load unity asset bundles for mods you can now do these animations through Unity and load them in that way.  However I didn't get a chance to learn all that and get the mod out in time (I also wanted to maintain 1.0.5 compatibility through the pre-release period).

I'd love to see this expanded eventually.  For example:

• Fish could count toward science or funds when caught, depending on how big they are and how far away they are from the KSC (so, Administration Pond fish are less valuable than coastal fish are less valuable than polar fish are less valuable than Eve fish are less valuable than Laythe fish, and so on).
  • Actual fish models.  I'd love to see Jeb holding his latest catch proudly for the cameras... er, screenshot tools.
  • Fishing boat parts (like mechanical fishing rods or dragnets or somesuch to catch bigger/deeper fish, for example).
  • Ability to process "fish oil" into fuel or something.
  • The list goes on...

Until then, though, I've noticed a bug in the 1.1 version: after entering the fishing view, casting, reeling back in, and exiting the fishing view, kerbals can't climb onto things; something fails with the kerbal animation, and they kind of just float back down to the ground and can't move.  Quicksaving and quickloading fixes this when it happens.  Maybe some bug with the kerbal animation?  There aren't any exceptions in Player.log when this happens (but there is a spamming of "set fishing state to NotFishing").

EDIT: this also affects ladders.  The climbing animation will start, and then Jeb will just revert to a standing pose and freeze there.  In the case of the ladder, though, the affected kerbal will still be able to move up/down (without any climbing animations), but upon reaching the top will fall down, start ragdolling erratically, then eventually "crash into terrain" and die.  Screenshot for reference.

Moar EDIT: fishing from on top of a craft (in this case, the same rover I was trying to climb onto) and actually managing to board in that state (i.e. by grabbing onto the crew hatch and hopping in), quicksaving, and quickloading causes the game to hang at the black "Loading" screen amid the sounds of one's craft exploding rather spectacularly.  Exiting and reloading KSP temporarily fixes this particular issue.

Edited by YellowApple

7 hours ago, YellowApple said:
  • Fish could count toward science or funds when caught, depending on how big they are and how far away they are from the KSC (so, Administration Pond fish are less valuable than coastal fish are less valuable than polar fish are less valuable than Eve fish are less valuable than Laythe fish, and so on).

They actually do count for funds already. :)  Science no, but I could always add a little science for extraplanetary fish.

• Actual fish models.  I'd love to see Jeb holding his latest catch proudly for the cameras... er, screenshot tools.

I considered it, but it wasn't worth the effort (and I was working against a deadline).

• Fishing boat parts (like mechanical fishing rods or dragnets or somesuch to catch bigger/deeper fish, for example).
  • Ability to process "fish oil" into fuel or something.
  • The list goes on...

These are less likely.  I'll take a pull request though!

Until then, though, I've noticed a bug in the 1.1 version: after entering the fishing view, casting, reeling back in, and exiting the fishing view, kerbals can't climb onto things; something fails with the kerbal animation, and they kind of just float back down to the ground and can't move.  Quicksaving and quickloading fixes this when it happens.  Maybe some bug with the kerbal animation?  There aren't any exceptions in Player.log when this happens (but there is a spamming of "set fishing state to NotFishing").

EDIT: this also affects ladders.  The climbing animation will start, and then Jeb will just revert to a standing pose and freeze there.  In the case of the ladder, though, the affected kerbal will still be able to move up/down (without any climbing animations), but upon reaching the top will fall down, start ragdolling erratically, then eventually "crash into terrain" and die.  Screenshot for reference.

Moar EDIT: fishing from on top of a craft (in this case, the same rover I was trying to climb onto) and actually managing to board in that state (i.e. by grabbing onto the crew hatch and hopping in), quicksaving, and quickloading causes the game to hang at the black "Loading" screen amid the sounds of one's craft exploding rather spectacularly.  Exiting and reloading KSP temporarily fixes this particular issue.

All fixed up, new release coming.

3 hours ago, Hellbrand said:

Totally need to integrate this into the life support mods once updated, It would be amazing!

Maybe something for the future.  Fish = nomz.

---

Updated for 1.1 only, download here.

Kerbal Sports 1.0.1

• Fixed not fishing log spam and broken animations (thanks YellowApple).

An idea for another feature: whilst I normally dislike all things golf associated (agreeing wholeheartedly with Churchill's statement that "golf is a good walk spoilt"), I do think that a golf driving mini game would be a superb addition - just so you can recreate one of the greatest moments in the Apollo programme; Alan Shepherd driving on the moon. Which would be awesome :D

Yestarday, when Bob told Jeb about his 20 kg fish that he caught...

Seriously though this looks way too fun and must try.

Caught my first fish and then another in the pond and maybe a bug too.  The values for weight and number of fish caught did not update until exiting.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis
gone fishing

What?  I always create my .netkan files from scratch and validate them against the schema.  Never would I just copy one from one of my other mods and do a poor job of manually replacing things...

Fixed in GitHub, will be up to an hour for it to propagate to CKAN.

On 02/04/2016 at 7:42 AM, YellowApple said:

Fishing boat parts (like mechanical fishing rods or dragnets or somesuch to catch bigger/deeper fish, for example).

The dragnets could be quite cool. Because of where I live I see fishing boats (usually trawlers) all the time.

Edited by HamnavoePer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.