[1.4.x] Kerbal Sports: Jebediah Kerman's Fishing Challenge [v1.1.0] [2018-03-22]

nightingale

33 minutes ago, politas said:

Does the built up "Skill" actually have any effect? I was hoping the green bar you need to keep the fish in would get wider, or fish would reel in a little faster, but I'm not noticing anything. Fishing on Eve is really hard!

Skill should have a pretty significant effect.  From memory:

• At least one of the green bars gets wider (should be the horizontal one)
  • The fish reels in a faster

And yes, Eve is meant to be hard, although I haven't gotten enough feedback to say if it's too hard or not.  What type of fish are you trying to catch?  If you go to the deep ocean, that should be an order of magnitude harder than the coastal fish.  If you're completely unable to catch coastal fish it probably means Eve is too darn hard.  Laythe should be a happy middle ground between Kerbin/Eve.

1 minute ago, nightingale said:

Skill should have a pretty significant effect.  From memory:

• At least one of the green bars gets wider (should be the horizontal one)
  • The fish reels in a faster

And yes, Eve is meant to be hard, although I haven't gotten enough feedback to say if it's too hard or not.  What type of fish are you trying to catch?  If you go to the deep ocean, that should be an order of magnitude harder than the coastal fish.  If you're completely unable to catch coastal fish it probably means Eve is too darn hard.  Laythe should be a happy middle ground between Kerbin/Eve.

I was trying to catch a coastal fish, and after getting the Skill bar up to nearly half way, I have still been unable to catch a single fish. Reeling in doesn't seem to make any difference to how close the fish is, so it's one step forward two steps back, all the way to bye-bye fish.

Not that I can claim any particular skill at fishing games, but I gave up eventually.

Just now, politas said:

I was trying to catch a coastal fish, and after getting the Skill bar up to nearly half way, I have still been unable to catch a single fish. Reeling in doesn't seem to make any difference to how close the fish is, so it's one step forward two steps back, all the way to bye-bye fish.

Not that I can claim any particular skill at fishing games, but I gave up eventually.

I'll take a look at balancing, raised #2.

A note on skilling up - you'll get far less skill gain from a lost fish than one you caught.  Skilling up before you head to Eve may be faster overall (although I can't say for sure if you'd still be able to catch something).

Let's run an experiment.  Search for "SportsScenario" in your save file and scroll down to your Kerbal.  You should find an entry that says "skill = x".  Change x to 100 (the max skill).  Reload your game and tell me - how difficult is it with max skill?  Are you able to at least catch a coastal fish?

Oddly, it says my failed attempts = 0

I just accidentally overwrote my quicksave, so I don't have a Kerbal on Eve to test with, now, sorry.

And now I've completely lost the UI. Restart time!

Edited by politas

26 minutes ago, politas said:

Oddly, it says my failed attempts = 0

I just accidentally overwrote my quicksave, so I don't have a Kerbal on Eve to test with, now, sorry.

And now I've completely lost the UI. Restart time!

The failed attempts is just a counter of how many times you've cast since the last bite without getting a fish hooked.  It's there so that you don't get unlucky and cast 10 times without getting a chance at a fish.  Each time you cast and don't get a bit the odds of getting one on the next cast are increased (I think it's either at or near 100% on the 4th cast).

47 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Well, the stock pond is the kiddy pond.  So that's not a fair comparison. :)

Ok, so I moved on to Kerbin Ocean fish, and again, I'm catching every fish. valentina's skill is now somewhere about 70%

Beautiful mod! Now I have valid reasons why to go to Laythe!

I'm sure supply replenishment in life support mods was already suggested, but I think it would benefit even more from one thing kerbals do best - facial expressions! :P:D

On 26/04/2016 at 3:51 AM, lextacy said:

HALP! i cant find the fishing option on the EVE gui

Missed this earlier in the week.  Did you figure it out?  If not, update to the latest, you might've gotten the wrong build by accident.

Quick release to get CKAN happy.  Download here.

Kerbal Sports 1.0.4

• Release with KSP 1.1.1 compatibility (for CKAN).

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2016 at 1:29 PM, nightingale said:

Missed this earlier in the week.  Did you figure it out?  If not, update to the latest, you might've gotten the wrong build by accident.

Quick release to get CKAN happy.  Download here.

Kerbal Sports 1.0.4

• Release with KSP 1.1.1 compatibility (for CKAN).

Just been using that build on KSP 1.1.2, and it causes a KSP crash when I climb back into my plane and recover the vessel. Went fishing twice, crashed KSP twice. Don't know if it would be ok if I took off instead of recovering.

3 hours ago, politas said:

Just been using that build on KSP 1.1.2, and it causes a KSP crash when I climb back into my plane and recover the vessel. Went fishing twice, crashed KSP twice. Don't know if it would be ok if I took off instead of recovering.

I haven't tested against 1.1.2 - can you provide an output_log.txt from your crash?

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

I haven't tested against 1.1.2 - can you provide an output_log.txt from your crash?

If you can tell me where I would find such a file on Linux (I know where KSP.log and Player.log are, but that one's new to me), I can try to create a new one, but I've restarted the game, so it's probably been overwritten.

2 hours ago, politas said:

If you can tell me where I would find such a file on Linux (I know where KSP.log and Player.log are, but that one's new to me), I can try to create a new one, but I've restarted the game, so it's probably been overwritten.

See here:

12 hours ago, nightingale said:

See here:

Ah, output_log.txt is what Player.log is called in Windows. I had forgotten that. I'll run an experiment and get you my Player.log.

Edited by politas

Ok, so with a clean KSP 1.1.2 on Linux, I installed KerbalSports v1.0.4.

Flew a Gull over to the ocean and splashed down a little hard, breaking the floats.

Got Jeb out, stood him on the wing and did a little fishing.

Got Jeb back in the cockpit and recovered the vessel. Much splashy explodyness heard on a black loading screen and KSP is frozen.

Player.log

I previously did the same with Valentina, flying around and parking next to the Admin building and fishing in the pool, with the same results. It's quite reliable.

Edited by politas

Ah!  That's actually not really a crash (which is why I specifically asked for output_log.txt/Player.log over KSP.log).  No matter though.

I have a pretty good idea what the problem is from looking at the code, but I'm not in a place that I can actually test it out.  Could you grab the dev dll here and give it a go?  I have no idea if the cause is a 1.1.2 change or a mod incompatibility, but if the fix resolves your issue I'll release it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.