Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

The end of the webcast said there is a sat launch later this month, but I have no idea if the orbit allows landing or not. Anybody heard?

The launch from 24 april is a GTO launch, that's heavy on the fuel use. I doubt they'll have any fuel left to try a landing.

Next time they'll try a landing will likely be the 22nd of june. That's CRS-7

Another interesting date is 22 july. They're planning a land landing there.

Edited by Ralathon

The launch from 24 april is a GTO launch, that's heavy on the fuel use. I doubt they'll have any fuel left to try a landing.

Next time they'll try a landing will likely be the 22nd of june. They'll do 2 launches that day, one to the ISS and one to a low earth orbit. On the latter mission they're planning to do a land landing.

Really, two Falcon in a day?

Haha! Where did you read that?

Reddit. It'll be cool if they release the video. Another thing on reedit says, "Video from one of the NASA Management Rooms shows an empty Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship. #SpX6"

That begs the question: Too hard for survival of the rocket or the barge?

I think for the rocket, last time the Falcon stage crashed and exploded onto the barge, the barge made it through well enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, I misread the dates in my sleep deprived state. One is in june and the other in july. Fixed it in my post.

Too cool to be true.

Twitter update: turns out the rocket landed on the barge, but it just a little bit too much lateral velocity so it tipped over. Like so many of our KSP landings, except SpaceX didn't have superpowerful reaction wheels to keep it upright or supersturdy materials so that it could survive tipping over. Still quite the accomplishment. I'm positive that if the conditions are right they'll be able to land it perfectly the next time. If that's the case, then landing on land will be 'relatively' easy as it doesn't move an inch and there's less air turbulence as there is close to the water.