Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Well if it's still on the barge, I wonder if the engines are still salvageable?

I can see tipping over damaging the upper tank, but the landing gear might still protect the engines.

Well assuming no fire.

The landing barge should have really big safety nets on the sides of a barge like you would find on a trampoline. They cant start horizontal in the same plane as the landing surface then flip up to form a box that the craft cant fall out of. Although I wonder if it being tipped over stuck in the net would just flip the barge.

there's video up on the twitter!

Hmm it looks like the rocket also use it's RCS in this phase (it seems like we can see white jet smoke coming from the top of the rocket) - although, i guess it's a requirement, as grid fins are almost useless at such low speeds.

Anyway, the final correction looks waay too abrupt (would be interesting to know how much wind there was to force the rocket to overcorrect like that) no wonder the rocket hit the barge with too much lateral speed.

idk if this has already been discussed, but did the rocket tip over because the rocket was moving sideways when it touched down, or did it tip over due to the movement of the Barge?

It tipped over because it landed at about 15 to 20 degrees after a final course correction, as seen on the video on the last page.

It looks to me as if the rocket was approaching an equipment-filled end of the barge straight down, burned sideways to move towards the center, but did so too aggressively.

Looks like way too much vertical velocity, from the chase plane video...

Maybe need to add a ring of these around the top of the stage for these types of "tip-overs"...LOL

Q9MhqfJ.png?1

Edited by Stone Blue

OK, now for the fun part.

So in looking at this image of the rocket (still airborne) I see the outline of a raised landing leg. Is it just an outline from the sootish stuff or it it the actual landing leg? I can see a sudden stop of the discolored area, likely due to different areas painted with more thermally resistant paint.

Anyone got better eyes than me? I cant tell which in the pic.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: thanks for the vid link

Edited by DundraL

OK, now for the fun part.

So in looking at this image of the rocket (still airborne) I see the outline of a raised landing leg. Is it just an outline from the sootish stuff or it it the actual landing leg, or an actual leg itself? I can see a sudden stop of the discolored area, likely due to different areas painted with more thermally resistant paint.

Anyone got better eyes than me? I cant tell which in the pic.

- - - Updated - - -

can you link the video u speak of?

It's on elons Twitter. I can't link though at y the moment.