Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Now, they'll need to exploit the data (notably those from the crash dummy they put inside)

The capsule turning upside down just after the separation and the capsule jerking around after paracute deployement were... Violent, to say the least :)

Wow I missed it by seconds, rewatching it I see that I came in just after separation.

And yeah that was more violent than I'd want to be in, however if that's just what happens in abort I'd rather have that happen than explode.

Now, they'll need to exploit the data (notably those from the crash dummy they put inside)

The capsule turning upside down just after the separation and the capsule jerking around after paracute deployement were... Violent, to say the least :)

aborts are meant to be life-saving, not comfortable

It looks like the downrange distance was not as big as planned. It did splashdown closer to shore than I thought it would. Non-nominal burn maybe? The duration was as planned, so maybe lower thrust than expected? Or GNC problem? We'll have to wait and see.

Still, a successful test in that Dragon complete all flight phases and they gathered a lot of data.

I heard "slightly below nominal" shortly after the SDs finished their burn. Also, "downrange distance" was cut off and then "hang-tight everyone!" :cool: Looks like a fun ride.

According to a guesstimate done with Google Earth, it's right on target.

Yes, I just checked and 2 km from the pad is indeed pretty close to shore, I think you're right. The trunk deployment did come a bit early though (at 15 s instead of the announced 21 s).

aborts are meant to be life-saving, not comfortable

That's why i said they need to exploit the crash dummy data :) it's the dummy's data that will say if it was survivable without generating life threatening injuries :)

The bang might be the explosive bolts releasing the Dragon 2 and trunk, which would normally be attached to the F9 2nd stage.

However the bang at 30 seconds might be parashute ejection+ speed of sound.

The Dragon spacecraft landed 8 seconds before scheduled splashdown, and very likely well within the 2.2 km range that had been scheduled. It has been described as a below-nominal performance.

The likely cause is that the engines propelled the spacecraft to a top speed of 150 m/s instead of 180.