Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

I'll eat my words if I'm wrong (and I sure hope I am) but there's no way SpaceX is putting anyone up in the next two years. With the political winds the way they are, I would be surprised if at this point they actually fly anyone for NASA.

Its pretty rare for things to go bad this late in flight, isn't it? Aren't most RUD's on the pad, or within a few hundred meters of the pad? Other then the recent progress and a shuttle mission, can't think of launches that got that far before fireballing.

I do have to wonder about the odds.

First Russia loses their resupply then the very next run Space X has a failure.

I am not one for conspiracy / sabotage but like I said what are the odds.

Well as long as they're not zero, it can happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Today's Falcon 9 launch blew up 2 minutes and 19 seconds into the flight.

I guess they weren't aware of the aero changes in 1.0 and beyond?

It was a sad year for space flight for sure, but it's not the end of the world. SpaceX will recover, and now that the problem Weill be exposed, future Fslcon flights will be much safer.

With that mindset we will. SpaceX will recover. And continue to do great things.

Best guess for today is that SpaceX will have to first launch people from someplace other than Florida. This really hurts the manned rating for Dragon.

Old KSP Dev NovaSilisko has a working theory that IDA (the new docking adapter) might have came loose and caused this whole issue. It was the heaviest payload the Dragon has carried in its trunk.

I'll eat my words if I'm wrong (and I sure hope I am) but there's no way SpaceX is putting anyone up in the next two years. With the political winds the way they are, I would be surprised if at this point they actually fly anyone for NASA.

If the Dragon safely GTFO'd like it seems to have, they might yet. If it happened, it's a better RUD abort than any other in history.

Well there goes the idea of cheap space travel, it's over. ULA wins, SLS wins, humanity will remain trapped on this rock until civilization collapses or technological singularity, and then the only things leaving the planet won't be humans.

Ariane 5's first launch was a failure, and yet Arianespace never quit. NASA had a lot of failures back in the early days, and yet they never gave up. Three out of five Falcon 1 flights were failures (consecutive, too), and SpaceX didn't say, "that's it, we're done."

Edited by Pipcard

Well there goes the idea of cheap space travel, it's over. ULA wins, SLS wins, humanity will remain trapped on this rock until civilization collapses or technological singularity, and then the only things leaving the planet won't be humans.

SpaceX are a company that launches rockets, not the bloody second coming. Quite a few people on the internet seem to have difficulty making that distinction.

SpaceX are a company that launches rockets, not the bloody second coming. Quite a few people on the internet seem to have difficulty making that distinction.

Space X is the only one actually interested in getting people permanently off this rock and trying to get at the resources in space. Hurting them hurts mankind as a whole, since everyone else is too busy thinking short-term profit.

Crap, did you guys hear that the unmanned SpaceX rocket exploded after liftoff? O.O Saw that on CNN.

SpaceX just has to roll with the punches here since you're going to have some failures along the way (hopefully not to manned vehicles).

Old KSP Dev NovaSilisko has a working theory that IDA (the new docking adapter) might have came loose and caused this whole issue. It was the heaviest payload the Dragon has carried in its trunk.

Is it bad that I immediately thought of the Iris failure from The Martian when I saw this?(for any that don't know it, rushed rocket launch, cargo comes loose inside fairing, bumps around, fireballs rocket)

I knew something was fishy, first time in a while SpaceX launched on first try, without delays, and also carrying heaviest trunk payload yet.

If Nova's theory proves to be correct, they can out all the blame on the adapter and not on the rocket itself.

A gif with previous pictures, overlaid for the rocket to match the position in the frame.

The center of the cloud definitely appears to come from the top parts, and there is some flame.

mR7S7yK.gif

I blame it on all the changes and upgrades they keep making after every single launch. Most of them are good, but you can't expect all of them to work fine.

If they have a reusable launcher this would not happen, this is the problem when you do a new rocket and there is not way to fully test it before launch.

How do you will feel if you fly in a new 747 (which never fly)?

All agencies had their launch fails, some of them a lot of accidents involving many lives. I guess there is none agencie or space company with an exception in this..

So lets not make this bigger than it is.

Besides from the begining, the crew test dint begin until the 2017, so there still 2 years left of testing for that..

Also, errors is what teach us more.

Well that a intresting theory, if it true it might help SpaceX case, that are only hope now.

Yeap. Its over.

this is where it began (sorry I couldn't capture it more precise)

A8GQuaU.jpg

Seems, like most here already concluded, at the top of stage 1 or bottom of stage 2