Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Any guesses on what impact this will have upon SpaceX's flight manifest? Will vendors leave to get their payloads up on other rockets, hang tight, or... something else?

Problem is there aren't really any 'other rockets' available. Arianespace schedule is jammed for the next few years, ULA schedule is full of US gov launches, Proton's backlog is piling up previous failures... only choice left in this size class is Mitsubishi, and it's doubful they can add many flights to their manifest at short notice.

Any guesses on what impact this will have upon SpaceX's flight manifest? Will vendors leave to get their payloads up on other rockets, hang tight, or... something else?

There is no reason to leave.

Spacex is still has the cheapest launcher available and payloads are ensured.

There is no reason to leave.

Spacex is still has the cheapest launcher available and payloads are ensured.

Time is money. With large GEO comsats, time is an awful lot of money.

This failure in particular brings up a question: how likely is it that backup/spare docking adaptors were manufactured? It seems like the sort of thing that you might as well build spares when you're building them rather than try to restart production if you need more.

This failure in particular brings up a question: how likely is it that backup/spare docking adaptors were manufactured? It seems like the sort of thing that you might as well build spares when you're building them rather than try to restart production if you need more.

Two were planned from the start to be fitted to the two PMAs.

I saw the launch this morning. When I saw all of the smoke, I thought it was just going through 1st stage separation, but for some reason, it did not look right. Soon after, it just disappeared after range safety destroyed it. It is too bad, because if SpaceX and Orbital are grounded, then all resupply missions will be on the Russians since the Europeans completed their obligations. And just a few months ago, the Russians also lost a Progress vehicle. This is definitely very bad situation beyond just losing today's mission.

Edited by DunaticFringe

Conference is live.

-First stage flight remained nominal, was not the issue

-Pressure readings from second stage indicate that was the problem

-Station is fine, but a lot of important equipment lost on this flight. (Spacesuit, IDA, experiments, etc.)

Edited by Zucal

"First stage flight was successful and nominal. At 139 seconds in flight we experienced an anomaly that ended the mission. Not expected to be a first stage issue. We received pressurization indications in the second stage. We received telemetry from Dragon after the event as well. No safety issues at all."

-- Gwynne Shotwell, President, SpaceX

"Lost a lot of precious equipment (AIDA docking), a spacesuit, a lot of research, and a water filtering module. We will have to keep an eye on water levels. No impact on next crew flight. I didn't think we would lose all our vehicles in a year, but we have, and it's not negligence. We'll get stronger from these events, the teams will take their learning forward."

-- William Gerstenmaier, Assoc. Admin. for Human Exploration and Operations, NASA

Two were planned from the start to be fitted to the two PMAs.

Yes, but I'm wondering if there are spares. IE if they planned to install 2, then building a 3rd would mean there is one spare.

And the same goes for the science experiments and replacement parts for the station...does anyone know if they are typically one-offs or are spares typically made.

No info right now, just a "everything is under control, procedures were followed, and spaceflight is hard." statement. I'm glad that they did give that, though, we understand that it isn't a life-threatening problem, but some people may see this as a complete disaster, which it isn't, really, although it is very sad.

"we lost a lot of research..."

I believe the correct term is science.

This stream has weird stuttering for me, anybody else?

Research and science are kind of interchangeable, although research does imply stuff coming down and not going up, the stream is fine for me.