Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

27 minutes ago, Wingman703 said:

Oh good, I'm not the only one that had no idea what that meant. Explain? Nerd reference I'm missing here? 

Star Wars VII Spoilers 

Spoiler

In the first act of Force Awakens, two different characters at different times escape dangerous conditions on the planet Jakku and make reference to wanting to go back to the same character leading that character to question why everyone wants to go to Jakku.

Edited by Moon Goddess

33 minutes ago, Wingman703 said:

Few pictures are trickling out. I can't wait for someone to grab some daylight photos of it tomorrow, assuming they are leaving it on the pad that long and not wisking it off right away. 

On right, the assent, on left, the decent( I think. Right? Doesn't make sense to my brain if it was the other way). 

Negf6lM.jpg

I believe this is all about perspective. Here is the flight path:

D9BdO86.png

I believe we are just viewing this at an angle, not directly from the side. Which would mean the landing zone wasn't directly in the launch flight path, but off to the side a bit. So the left is the launch, and the right is the landing. We can't see the Boostback burn, it's above the frame. Imagine the flight path picture, but viewed from the opposite side, and more on the land, so that the launch would be to the left and away from you. And the landing zone is farther off to the right. That's what the first picture is showing. :) 

Edited by Endersmens

Yeah Left is ascent and right is the return for sure.  Remember the launch path goes east over the Atlantic and it returns from the west and that the launch pad is tot he north of the landing pad.  The photo appears top be taken to the north west of the launch pad.

I have an idea how that picture was taken..  you open the diaphragm so light can enter to the ccd, once the first burn finish, you put the tap to the lens, then when the stage is going back, you remove the tap again until it lands, then you finish the picture..

But that requires a good exposure calculation.  Maybe there was more than one camera doing the same thing at different exposures. 

4 minutes ago, AngelLestat said:

I have an idea how that picture was taken..  you open the diaphragm so light can enter to the ccd, once the first burn finish, you put the tap to the lens, then when the stage is going back, you remove the tap again until it lands, then you finish the picture..

But that requires a good exposure calculation.  Maybe there was more than one camera doing the same thing at different exposures. 

Why couldn't it be a single long exposure? (Not a photography guy)

1 hour ago, Frozen_Heart said:

RIP

Well, we're technically flying unmanned spacecraft here. Everything went well and the satellites deployed until the first stage landing. I couldn't control the first stage for the last leg, so it crashed into the water (yes, I was too lazy to do a KSC landing) at 15 m/s, which was better than my first attempt, when I "landed" the booster at an astonishing 195 m/s. 

1 hour ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Oh man! Thank you so much SpaceX! I can't think of a better birthday present than a landed first stage!! WOOHOO

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

33 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Why couldn't it be a single long exposure? (Not a photography guy)

For the city lights in the background, the city lights looks nice, but 10 min of exposure it would generate less defined points, like an average bright or over exposure. But well, maybe I am wrong and the city lights were very far and much less bright compare to the rocket.