Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Here's my second attempt to create a falcon 9 booster stage that can land itself autonomously using kOS.

AngryHollowBoa.gif

(homing view)

CarelessElectricBrant.gif

(Point of View)

Currently it can lift a 2nd stage carrying 17 tons into LKO.

Creating the software wasn't easy for me as i'm not a programmer nor have any prior knowledge about coding. I hope you guys enjoy the gifs :)

Edited by Rdivine

26 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

That's either an amazing amount of wear or a really crappy paint job.

Well, if you're only going to use it once... :P

I think it's just different sides of the same rocket.

45 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Well, if you're only going to use it once... :P

I think it's just different sides of the same rocket.

Is the flag on both sides of the rocket ?

1 hour ago, Motokid600 said:

Before launch? Why does the paint look incomplete? You sure that's not the cleaned booster versus the dirty one instead?

Thanks ! Then it's probably the same rocket before/after flight, but from different sides ^^ some structural elements are disposed symmetrically on the two pictures, like some holes next to the RCS pods

2 hours ago, Hcube said:

Thanks ! Then it's probably the same rocket before/after flight, but from different sides ^^ some structural elements are disposed symmetrically on the two pictures, like some holes next to the RCS pods

Well... No look at the F on Falcon of the clean rocket. It's worn off. This is not a before and after shot or ... Maybe it was incomplete. Or someone screwed up the original paintjob.

Edited by Motokid600

It's the same rocket. Just different sides. This was the first Falcon 9 v1.2 Full Thrust to launch and the thruster pods are lower to the first stage than the older v1.1 rocket. Plus the Grid Fin actuators don't have fairings like the 1.1 rocket did either.

2 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Well... No look at the F on Falcon of the clean rocket. It's worn off. This is not a before and after shot or ... Maybe it was incomplete. Or someone screwed up the original paintjob.

The "F" is just picking up glare from the lights in the left image.

The 'damaged' F is definitely just glare. Lots of paints have a slightly discoloured looking specular reflection which is why it looks sort of worn. Probably isn't a completely smooth surface either so you're getting some bumpy reflections. 

New photo from SpaceX's Facebook page:

12484691_10156900233560131_7369611377938

21 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

The 'damaged' F is definitely just glare. Lots of paints have a slightly discoloured looking specular reflection which is why it looks sort of worn. Probably isn't a completely smooth surface either so you're getting some bumpy reflections. 

New photo from SpaceX's Facebook page:

12484691_10156900233560131_7369611377938

Why is the center section not covered in soot?

15 minutes ago, fredinno said:

Why is the center section not covered in soot?

I made this same question some time ago, I remember that the answers that someone gave me was pretty logic, but I can't remember now :)

Edited by AngelLestat

Oh come on! I know it's winter season and you don't wash your rockets as you would during summer! Look at all that filth! I'm surprised there's still no "Clean me, please!" written with a finger on the back!

It's such a poor joke and I don't even own a car, but will pretendit's funny.

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyy 

Edited by Veeltch

1 hour ago, Veeltch said:

Oh come on! I know it's winter season and you don't wash your rockets as you would during summer! Look at all that filth! I'm surprised there's still no "Clean me, please!" written with a finger on the back!

It's such a poor joke and I don't even own a car, but will pretendit's funny.

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyy 

...Not funny.

I'm sure they towed the booster in, did a rough go over and went off to party for the holidays. However I'm willing to bet the soot on the tank doesn't wash off. The paint itself may be charred. And honestly I'm wondering how much time and money you could save not repainting them. Just wash them down, new logos and done. Personally I think itd be cool if each booster kept its used patina.

I wonder how much a few coats of wax helps efficiency. Especially the fairing. Id shine that thing until I could see my reflection.

Additionally and more importantly. I just now realized this which could explain the sharp transition from dirty to clean. Or where the ice suddenly stopped forming. Does the Falcon 9 use a common bulkhead for its Kerolox? As in there aren't two separate fuel tanks, But just one for lox and rest of the structure is filled with kerosene?

Does not explain why the ice stopped several feet before the top though. If the LOX tank is up top sharing one bulkhead with the kerosene beneath it that perfectly explains the sharp dividing line. But not the clean/dirty line up top. The ice should've formed all the way up to the interstage.

Here you go.

http://www.spacex.com/news/2013/09/24/production-spacex

"The fuel tanks feature a common bulkhead design for the liquid oxygen and rocket-grade kerosene."

Mystery solved.

And this link to another forum talking about the subject brought me to another interesting link. Upon which is apparently a KSP tutorial :P Wow it actually is a KSP tutorial. About making fuel tanks omg where was this when I started doing just that a month ago?!

JdjNQ7P.jpg

As you can see I'm not using a common bulkhead... Which completely makes this style of construction irrelevant. I could ditch the fairings for walls and just stank two separate proc-fuel tanks with rounded ends. Hm...

Edited by Motokid600